Author Topic: Man Loses 27lbs on Twinkie Diet  (Read 3664 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Man Loses 27lbs on Twinkie Diet
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.
I am going to save this document in every place I can. So many people have argued this point. I almost got into a fistfight with one woman when I said you could eat Oreos and lose weight, if you exercised portion control.

Love the comments on the article.  :lol:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »

I'm not surprised.  Wonder why Atkins is working well for me, tho.  I'm eating more, and losing weight.  I still think what you eat has an impact.  Not all calories are exactly equal, but I'm gathering overall it usually comes down to burning more than you take in.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:04:39 PM »
Okay, that's awesome.

Science works, * explicative deleted*!  Human nutrition is one area where people will argue to the death that the science behind how things work is wrong.

The Calorie... is literally the amount of energy that can be obtained from something and used by the body.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:07:27 PM »
Okay, when the hell did the term 'food desert' become the new trendy thing to say?

Seriously?  Because someone's proximity to a grocery store has SO much more to do with their health then there own personal choices, or their socioeconomic status...  ;/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »
Okay, when the hell did the term 'food desert' become the new trendy thing to say?

Seriously?  Because someone's proximity to a grocery store has SO much more to do with their health then there own personal choices, or their socioeconomic status...  ;/

Yeah, I asked this in a thread recently where I posted a story about Michelle Obama and "food deserts". I'd never heard of them before, but now I see the term everywhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »
I'm not surprised.  Wonder why Atkins is working well for me, tho.

I'm pretty sure it's because your body can't process all of the meat and/or fat that you're consuming.  A good portion of it just passed on through before the digestive system can break it down.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »
Yeah, I asked this in a thread recently where I posted a story about Michelle Obama and "food deserts". I'd never heard of them before, but now I see the term everywhere.
Yeah, what about all those rural folks who live miles from the nearest grocery store?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 12:23:45 AM »
I'm betting an 'all whiskey' diet would work too. :lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 12:46:36 AM »
I'm not surprised.  Wonder why Atkins is working well for me, tho.  I'm eating more, and losing weight.  I still think what you eat has an impact.  Not all calories are exactly equal, but I'm gathering overall it usually comes down to burning more than you take in.

This is why Atkins works. (mild warning, old B&W clinical/medical photos of a boy in a loincloth)

http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/Chem101/hormones/diabetic.jpg

This is a before and after pic of a boy who was lucky enough to survive to the 1920s when Horse Insulin became available. The human body simply can't deposit fat stores from protiens and low-carb green vegetables alone. To prevent diabetic coma and death, diabetes sufferers would eat virtually no carbohydrates, yet they'd starve to death. Before Insulin, it was just prolonging the inevitable.

This is why on Atkins you can eat as much protein, fat, and low carb vegetable matter to fill your stomach and quell any hunger pangs you want, and you won't gain weight. No amount of calories that don't include carbs will let you gain weight in the long run. Either because you can't process them due to being unable to produce insulin, or simply refusing to eat them.

So, "calories are calories" isn't completely true.

I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 03:37:51 AM »
Yeah, what about all those rural folks who live miles from the nearest grocery store?

Yeah, that 1/4 acre of garden just out the back door is a darn sight closer than the grocery store.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »
I'm betting an 'all whiskey' diet would work too. :lol:
yep, you don't crave any other food either. it's right up there with the oxi diet. and i'm told the chemo diet beats them both. ;)