Author Topic: Wiggle wiggle, wag wag. Stare.  (Read 3671 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Wiggle wiggle, wag wag. Stare.
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:32:56 PM »
Came home from work tonight and after the usual cacaphony of dog and ferrets... dog staring at the floor with her ears pricked up. "What are you doing?" Wiggle wiggle, wag, wag, wag. Stare at the floor.  ???

Came out of the shower, and she was still staring at the floor, intently.

"What ails you, dogface?" Wiggle, wiggle, wag, wag, wag. Stare at the floor.   ???

Turned up the lights.

Ants. All over her dish and water bowl. In that column formation they do.

I sprayed a bleach/detergent/water solution around all the entries/orifices but they will find another way in. Must be spring.

I HATE ants. Little bastards. They have been attracted by her kibble and now I'll never get rid of them. Exterminator was here just a few weeks back.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Wiggle wiggle, wag wag. Stare.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »
They sell ant and critter killer you spread around your yard like fertilizer.  Probably makes mother gaia weep, but its freaking awesome.

We use the ortho and the scott's combo (weed and feed plus ant killer).
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:42:56 PM »
They sell ant and critter killer you spread around your yard like fertilizer.  Probably makes mother gaia weep, but its freaking awesome.

We use the ortho and the scott's combo (weed and feed plus ant killer).

I use Gaia-Earf-weep formula.  I had ants when I moved in.  Now they exist in a realm beyond this one.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:56:54 PM »
I'm in an apartment so I have limited options. I have seen an ant or two before but this is like an invasion.  Ned Beatty from the movie 1941 screaming "Invasion!"-type of invasion.

The remedies y'all mentioned... pet-safe? I may just do those anyway. Maintenance around here is not exactly "timely".

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:57:31 PM »
I use Gaia-Earf-weep formula.  I had ants when I moved in.  Now they exist in a realm beyond this one.

Ayup.  I live in fire ant country, yet we can lounge around in our yard, have a picnic, and fear not the bite of the firey invader.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »
Get some strong stuff (I use Diazinon, but you can't buy that anymore.  Dursban was even better) and spray around the *outside* of the house at ground level and and about 6 inches up the wall.  Especially if you can find where they are getting in.  Malathion is good enough but doesn't last very long.

If you live in the South and these are fire ants, look for a bait called Logic® (fenoxycarb. I don't know why I remember that) and sprinkle that all around the yard. IIRC, a pound per acre.  It's slow acting but will totally get rid of them for about a year -- until they move back in from your neighbor's yard or the vacant lot down the street.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 11:11:57 PM »
I don't know if it's as applicable to an apartment, but campers put Comet around their water hoses and electrical lines to prevent ants from seeking moisture on the hoses (such as a dripping leak), climbing them, and getting into the camper.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 11:25:52 PM »
I don't know if it's as applicable to an apartment, but campers put Comet around their water hoses and electrical lines to prevent ants from seeking moisture on the hoses (such as a dripping leak), climbing them, and getting into the camper.
Desert southwest here and we haven't had any rain for probably 12 weeks. Fire warnings are up everywhere. It's gotta be the water; I have never seen them like this. Comet? I have plenty of similar scrubbing stuff. I'll try it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:21:08 AM »
Gee, too bad you're not closer, I'd share a bit of my carefully hoarded stash of Chlordane.
J/K. I didn't really take home the sealed gallon jug I found when we cleaned out my late uncles farm.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »
Thanks for the info...our ant infestation is starting early this year....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 07:38:24 AM »
For an apartment, this is probably your best bet. You will need to find a way to keep the dog away from it though.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
The ferrets would get into that in a heartbeat. I'm just going to vacuum up the little bastages for the time being.