Author Topic: How to hang heavy mirrors, etc on an apt. wall...  (Read 3666 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
How to hang heavy mirrors, etc on an apt. wall...
« on: May 13, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »
Howdy folks!

Well, I recently found out that it's kosher to put things up on the walls in my apartment, so long as any holes are spackled before you leave. No problem.

This is the first place I've lived where that was OK, and the first time I've really cared enough to try putting things up. So, today I went out to Kirklands and found a great deal on a 3.5'x2.5' mirror, and another 2.5'x1.5' heavy framed picture of an old-style atlas.

Anyone care to give a clue to the clueless as to how to hang things that are so heavy? If I just get the stud detector to find those, I don't see how it will be hanging in a well-centered place, since it will be according to where the studs are located. And I wasn't really confident that drywall alone can support them. I'm sure there's a simple answer I'm not seeing.

Thanks much for any help, mates!

-Spooky, who thinks he's been queer-eyed without his knowledge.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 04:08:32 PM »
Depending on how wide the hangees are, you may be able to use 2 studs.
I doubt that any of your hangees are extremely heavy, so you might consider drywall anchors.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 04:20:20 PM »
The studs in your interior walls should be 16 inches apart, from center to center. Studs on your exterior walls should be 12 inches apart. You should have the choice of hanging your mirror at 16 or 8 inch intervals depending upon whether you use one stud or two, or 12 or 6 inch intervals depending upon whether you use one stud or two, depending upon whether you hang your mirror on an interior or exterior wall.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 06:10:29 PM »
Ah, very helpful. Anyone know the rough weight limit of a drywall anchor? I've no good estimate at the mirror's weight yet, since I suck at those guestimations.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Preacherman

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 06:28:35 PM »
Another trick, if you want to hang something centrally and there's no central stud, is to locate the two studs closest to the center point.  Screw a piece of 2"x1" planking into the two studs, to take the weight, then place a screw or other hanging point in the center point of the wall, along that plank.  That way, the studs take the weight.  It doesn't matter if the hanging point is at the center of the plank, or offset to one side or the other - the studs will still support it.  If the frame needs to be more level in the vertical plane, get a doorstop or something similar and glue it to the bottom of the frame, so that it stands out from the wall approximately the same distance as the hanging point.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »
I wouldn't guestimate more than 15 lbs. Of Course you nearly double the carrying weight by putting in two anchors.

Step on your bathroom scale, what's it say, 185, 195? Now step on it while carrying the mirror. Get your wife, girlfriend, significant other or one of your buddies who happens to be around to read it for you (leaning forward to read it over the mirror will throw it off), that should tell you aproximately the weight of the mirror.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 06:40:36 PM »
Quote from: Preacherman
Another trick, if you want to hang something centrally and there's no central stud, is to locate the two studs closest to the center point.  Screw a piece of 2"x1" planking into the two studs, to take the weight, then place a screw or other hanging point in the center point of the wall, along that plank.  That way, the studs take the weight.  It doesn't matter if the hanging point is at the center of the plank, or offset to one side or the other - the studs will still support it.  If the frame needs to be more level in the vertical plane, get a doorstop or something similar and glue it to the bottom of the frame, so that it stands out from the wall approximately the same distance as the hanging point.
I considered trying to convey this idea, but gave up after realizing my grasp of english language and vocabularly wasn't sufficient - so - what Preacherman said. He has it right on there.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »
I know it weighs more than my ~12# handweight, probably a bit shy of 20#. I'll probably wait and see where the studs are before making a decision about how to get things done, I don't really know which makes me more comfortable. I imagine that either multiple stud use or the cross-plank trick are close to overkill, anyway.

Thanks much for the help, good sirs!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 02:44:45 AM »
This is no big deal.  Just about all walls anchors out there will hold 20#.  You can even get them up to 75#.  There are a few types you can use.

I prefer these for most applications just because they are quick and easy:
http://www.simpsonanchors.com/Catalog/mechanical/sure-wall/index.html

You can use the plain plastic one for a lot of stuff and the metal one with the toggle for heavier stuff like your mirror.

Greg

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 03:34:18 AM »
the toggle type of wall anchor may be rated to hold a large amount of weight,
but if you use them too close together, the sheetrock looses integrity and things go bump in the night

find the studs and screw into them

if you need to center on the studs, use a stringer
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 04:45:37 AM »
Quote from: Preacherman
Bingo!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”