Author Topic: HMS Bounty sinks  (Read 3668 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
HMS Bounty sinks
« on: October 29, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »
Lost power and started taking on water in high seas off of North Carolina.

Crew had to abandon ship.

May have possibly lost a couple crew members.

http://fox4kc.com/2012/10/29/crew-abandons-hms-bounty-ship-awaits-rescue-while-sandy-rages-around-them/

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: HMS Bounty sinks
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »
Noting that this ship was in a couple of the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movies, did anyone notice if Captain Sparrow was nearby?  [tinfoil]

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »
That is a shame. =(

I love those old beautiful clippers and ships of the line.

I've never seen the Bounty, but I did see the Golden Hind as a child.

I hope all crew are saved.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: HMS Bounty sinks
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
Yeah, let's go sailing in the hurricane. Smooth

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Re: HMS Bounty sinks
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:44:06 AM »

Sent via tapatalk

They were probably already enroute somewhere or trying to move the boat out of the path.  Those boats don't do anything fast.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »
Who wants so go scuba diving on a newly sunk 3 masted schooner. Never thought I would say that. Any idea of the position and depth?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
Lost power and started taking on water in high seas off of North Carolina.
What, was it a calm day or something?  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
What, was it a calm day or something?  ???

I'd bet dollars to donuts it had a mechanical back up. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »
I'd bet dollars to donuts it had a mechanical back up. 

You can't expect the crew to actually work those big handles on the deck by the mainmast  ;/

Who wants so go scuba diving on a newly sunk 3 masted schooner. Never thought I would say that. Any idea of the position and depth?

Not a schooner.  Schooners are strictly fore-and-aft rigged, except for an occasional square topsail.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
You can't expect the crew to actually work those big handles on the deck by the mainmast  ;/

Not a schooner.  Schooners are strictly fore-and-aft rigged, except for an occasional square topsail.

I'm not talking about the rigging, I mean it likely had some sort of engines. 
JD

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »
That is a shame. =(

I love those old beautiful clippers and ships of the line.

I've never seen the Bounty, but I did see the Golden Hind as a child.

I hope all crew are saved.
Allowing my inner AH to shine... The Bounty was neither a clipper ship or ship of the line.  It was a pretty, thing, tho', wasn't it? =|
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »
The Coast Guard received an emergency call from the ship’s owner Sunday after the 80-foot, three-masted vessel lost power and started taking on water,

A sailing vessle loses power when the wind stops.

A motor-sailer, especially with all sails reefed, loses power when the motor fails.

I've never sailed on anything as big as that, but even a single-masted sloop is easier to deal with under motor power than trying to haul sheets and yards about in a storm.  It also allows most of the folks aboard to stay relatively dry inside.

Seems when the motor stopped the pumps stopped and either the hand pumps were not sufficient or they did not have any.

As risky as it is, it is more prudent to get into a modern life raft as early on in the unfolding drama as is possible.  You can always climb out afterwards and look for your boat (please do NOT tie your raft to your boat - although I have seen folks do that during practice drills).  Once the seas start getting rough it is more difficult to move about - haven't we all watch Deadliest Catch often enough to know that?  The thing is, there is usually a very short period of time between "as early on in the unfolding drama" and "Oh, fudge!  It's too late and we're all gonna die!".

Prayers for the missing.  I'm not sure how far off shore they were when they went over, so can't begin to guess if they even have a chance of being driven onto the beach.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »
Allowing my inner AH to shine... The Bounty was neither a clipper ship or ship of the line.  It was a pretty, thing, tho', wasn't it? =|

IIRC, it was originally a coastal coal hauling vessel  =|

I'm not talking about the rigging, I mean it likely had some sort of engines. 

I was thinking about those big manual pumps that ships of that era used to have: big long handles that several men could work up and down.  (sorta like the teeter totter handles on those hand pump railcars)

Maybe the ones on the Bounty were just for looks  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »
IIRC, it was originally a coastal coal hauling vessel  =|

Yep, the original HMS Bounty was a merchant vessel before the royal navy bought it in the late 1700's for a botanical mission (per wikipedia). This Bounty was built in 1960 for a movie.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »

It didn't work out in this case but in a storm like that you stand less of a chance of losing the ship by riding it out at sea then you do staying moored or anchored in a harbor somewhere.  I didn't hear anything about it this time but when a hurricane is coming both the Navy and Coast Guard often stand out to sea instead of trying to stay moored up.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
It didn't work out in this case but in a storm like that you stand less of a chance of losing the ship by riding it out at sea then you do staying moored or anchored in a harbor somewhere.  I didn't hear anything about it this time but when a hurricane is coming both the Navy and Coast Guard often stand out to sea instead of trying to stay moored up.
True, but depends on a number of factors. If you have a ship that is capable of taking the weather then it is safer. If not, it's safer to find sufficient shelter. Something tells me that this type of ship wasn't capable of handling the weather.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 05:28:15 PM »
Yep, the original HMS Bounty was a merchant vessel before the royal navy bought it in the late 1700's for a botanical mission (per wikipedia). This Bounty was built in 1960 for a movie.

Yes, the original Bounty was scuttled at Pitairn Island by Fletcher and company  ;)

I was speaking of the type of vessel - but who know how closely the reproduction followed anything historical  =|

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »
Yes, the original Bounty was scuttled at Pitairn Island by Fletcher and company  ;)

I was speaking of the type of vessel - but who know how closely the reproduction followed anything historical  =|

I have been onboard the Lady Washington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Washington) several times.  They do have an auxiliary engine and all the required Coast Guard life safety gear.  They also have tucked away a modern galley and head but have a reproduction of the original galley, head and crew accommodation. So to my untrained eye, it looks about as authentic as can be, given the regulatory requirements and accommodation of the crew in reasonable conditions. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 06:47:04 PM »
Bailing is.often overlooked in boat crisis  ie failed pumps. You would be amazed.how much water can be moved by hand if alternative is swimming.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »
Best I could find on short notice:

(double action pumps - sucker rod on one side is going down while the other side is pulling water up)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
Bailing is.often overlooked in boat crisis  ie failed pumps. You would be amazed.how much water can be moved by hand if alternative is swimming.

Plumber's pump FTW!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=99138&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50632&subdeptNum=50633&classNum=50636

Reminds me to add that to my winter shopping list.
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »
Get the bikini girls to run those  ;)

I'll be in my bunk.
JD

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »
Spoon told me about this while I was at the hotel. Like I said to her: "they should have mutinied"
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)