Author Topic: Ban guns now.  (Read 3660 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Ban guns now.
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:07:48 AM »
Were it not for easy access to guns in our society, this young man might still be alive.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/05/09/w-va-man-electrocuted-after-shooting-down-power-line-to-steal-copper/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Ban guns now.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »
Advise to copper thieves, disconnect the copper on BOTH ends. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »
Why in the world would you want to mess with power lines, I have no clue.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:14:45 AM »
I thought most transmission lines these days were aluminum?

And, why isn't his accomplice charged with murder since his friend died in the commission of a felony crime?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:33:11 AM »
I thought most transmission lines these days were aluminum?

And, why isn't his accomplice charged with murder since his friend died in the commission of a felony crime?

Depends upon location and application, from my understanding.  The high power towers are aluminum, but your lines on the standard electric poles are copper, particularly in snow/ice regions.  YMMV.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »

Police are still conducting their investigation.  There is the potential for more charges.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »
Depends upon location and application, from my understanding.  The high power towers are aluminum, but your lines on the standard electric poles are copper, particularly in snow/ice regions.  YMMV.

Yep, my dad has made a bit of cash from stolen copper electric wire in Illinois.

(He purchased at auction it after it was used as evidence in a case and, having been cut and slashed, was of no use to the electric company any longer.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
Police are still conducting their investigation.  There is the potential for more charges.

Ohm eye. Should have guessed this would be a lightning rod for silly puns. Can't say that I'm shocked.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 10:53:11 AM »
We had something similar in Pennsylvania years ago, but it didn't result in a death.

Guy was along a powerline trail and decided to shoot some of the insulators.

When he dropped the wire, he set of a fast-moving brush and forest fire (VERY dry that year).

He wasn't able to get back to his truck and it got cooked. He hauled ass out of the area and reported his truck stolen, knowing they'd find it. His story fell apart pretty quickly because he said it was stolen from his home overnight, while a number of people, including the local police officer who took the report, had seen him driving it that morning...   :facepalm:

He ended up doing time and had to pay the power company for the damage and also had to foot the bill for the fire response.

And his insurance company refused to pay off on the truck, so he still had to make payments to the bank.  :lol:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »
A tangled web, indeed. Seems like he would have gotten the insurance pay-off if he just kept mum about the shooting and told the truth about everything else. Or ditch the rifle somewhere, and report that stolen, too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
Oh, no, when they found his truck at the fire scene, and the downed powerline, they knew something smelled, because the cop had seen him in the truck that morning, and he claimed that it had been stolen from in front of his home sometime overnight.

When they investigated why the line snapped, it wasn't hard to figure out that it had been shot.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
I'm saying don't bother claiming the truck was stolen. Just say he was there taking a walk, and all of the sudden the woods caught on fire. I guess it would depend on who else was in the area, and whether they saw him with a gun.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
I'm saying don't bother claiming the truck was stolen. Just say he was there taking a walk, and all of the sudden the woods caught on fire. I guess it would depend on who else was in the area, and whether they saw him with a gun.

If he was that smart then he wouldn't have been shooting at powerlines.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »

Dunno 'bout that. Here in Minnesota, the 'local' lines - the last mile of distribution - are aluminum. The only copper is the ground wire on the poles.

They may even have a steel core, for added tensile strength.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 02:48:51 PM »

There's a whole lot of criminals that fall into that category... Which reminds me...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »

I thought that went without saying.   =)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
Fitting end to a copper thief.

One early morning, about 3:00 am, late last year while I was at work we started getting massive circuit failure aalrms at 2 of the offices I cover. Copper thiefs had taken down a full mile of ariel cable. Well, "cable" sort of, they got a 50 pair copper feeder line and a 500 pair fiber "cable".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
Darwin wins!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »

I guess he just wasn't as cunning a master criminal as you.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »
Dude just didn't have the capacity to pull off the crime.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 11:37:29 PM »
Copper thieves are quite a problem around here.  

A family was running a drive-through Christmas light display until they couldn't afford to keep replacing the stolen wiring.

A lot of the houses we looked at a few years ago had most of the wiring ripped out.

I would suggest putting news stories like this on the front page as a warning, but you can't fix stupid.....

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 11:48:39 PM »
Copper thieves are quite a problem around here.  

A family was running a drive-through Christmas light display until they couldn't afford to keep replacing the stolen wiring.

A lot of the houses we looked at a few years ago had most of the wiring ripped out.

I would suggest putting news stories like this on the front page as a warning, but you can't fix stupid.....

You might not be able to fix it, but you can fry it.

Darwin should be allowed his due with these types.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
I had a co-worker at a nametag-job over a decade ago who was raised on a farm. He used to roam the farm with an air rifle starting at a young age.

The farm had quite a few 220 and 440V lines strung around for various equipment, and with the air rifle, he liked to try to shoot the power lines to hear them "twang" if he was able to hit the tricky narrow target.

When he got a .22LR for his birthday, a few weeks later, he tried the same stunt. Instead of "twang", it went "BEEEEEWWWWW" because it snapped, and the cut LIVE end of the power line went right into the eye of one of their cows in a nearby pen.

The cow was not happy. Nor was my co-worker's father when he had to put down the half-blind cow two farms over.  :P
I promise not to duck.