Author Topic: Substandard victim selection process  (Read 3680 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Substandard victim selection process
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:41 PM »
I have seen and handled a .38 Special auto loader it was a  Colt 1911. I was told by the owner that it was part of a special run for the Air Force marksmanship team. The guy was probably in his late 60s early 70s when he showed it to me.

I've heard about them.  And S&W had a .38 Special target autoloader.

Then of course .38 super is a pretty common caliber for auto loaders.

In this situation, .38 Super, maybe.  Is it really all that common outside gun gamer circles?  Extremely unlikely perp was using one of those  .38 wadcutter shooting target autoloaders.  Much more likely someone in the journalistic chain from "what really happened" to "what got put on snopes" goofed.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 11:35:31 PM »
In this situation, .38 Super, maybe.  Is it really all that common outside gun gamer circles?  Extremely unlikely perp was using one of those  .38 wadcutter shooting target autoloaders.  Much more likely someone in the journalistic chain from "what really happened" to "what got put on snopes" goofed.

True. In my case, I completely forgot about the .38 Super. I assumed they were talking about a .380 auto or a .38 Special revolver. The state of journalism being what it is...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »
I recently watched a video on YouTube - I think put out by SAAMI - that involved shooting, burning and dropping all sorts of ammo in lots of different ways. They can be ignited by gunfire but as mentioned it is the exception, not the rule.

We used to stick .22 cartridges into holes in a stump and shoot at them from 50 yards or so. We set a few off, but mostly just destroyed them.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 07:03:51 PM »
Another example of a poor victim selection process.  Or maybe a badly thought out robbing process.
In any event, a man tried to rob a gun store with a baseball bat.  It didn't work out quite the way he had hoped.

This is an example of just how much restraint responsible gunowners can use. 
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »
This is an example of just how much restraint responsible gunowners can use. 

Yeah, try mugging LAPD with a baseball bat.

He also had another weapon with him. Pretty sure that makes an arsenal.

Or a cachet.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
Yeah, try mugging LAPD with a baseball bat.

I said what responsible gun owners do.  The LAPD would not only shoot the guy with the bat but would shoot a guy with a catchers mitt, a female umpire, and a guy selling peanuts because they all reminded them of the guy with the baseball bat.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2013, 09:03:45 PM »
I said what responsible gun owners do.  The LAPD would not only shoot the guy with the bat but would shoot a guy with a catchers mitt, a female umpire, and a guy selling peanuts because they all reminded them of the guy with the baseball bat.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I was going.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 02:33:19 AM »
I recently watched a video on YouTube - I think put out by SAAMI - that involved shooting, burning and dropping all sorts of ammo in lots of different ways. They can be ignited by gunfire but as mentioned it is the exception, not the rule.

REF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3SlOXowwC4c

I admit to a slight eye-moistening when they ran the bulldozer over the ammo.  In the shooting at the packaged ammo tests, most of it was still usable.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:05:29 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 07:37:10 AM »
I've heard about them.  And S&W had a .38 Special target autoloader.

.38 super gets more common outside the US particularly in countries that ban military calibers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 10:14:25 AM »
Really a nice little cartridge.  I had a bobbed 1911 in that caliber and the dents my handloads made in 1/4" mild steel plates were similar to .357 dents.

It was a little like somebody couldn't make up their minds whether to headspace on the mouth or the rim, though.

I ground up a tool bit so I could make .38 Super brass out of .357 cases when commercial loads for it got scarce, though.  My cases worked well.

Had to get rid of the gun to make a house payment.    :facepalm:

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.