Author Topic: Thankful for my late mentor.  (Read 3699 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Thankful for my late mentor.
« on: November 29, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »
A cantankerous, foul-mouthed curmudgeon was once transplanted from Michigan to Carmichael, CA. 

He worked at the Formica company in Rocklin, CA until a job injury messed up his lower back so much he could no longer function without surgery and pain killers.

Once his vertebrae were fused surgically, he used the vocational rehab program to retrain at the Colorado School of Mines, getting a 2-year certificate in gunsmithing.

He worked with, and absorbed by osmosis, the likes of Armand Swenson, Bill Davis, and others pioneers who were before my time but likewise paved the way.

He pulled out and showed me correspondence between him, Jeff Cooper, and Jack Weaver, amongst others.  He got into a pissing contest regarding the rules of IPSC and USPSA, trying to avert the hardware race that they eventually became.

He preferred the 1911, but also had a soft spot for Browning Hi-Powers, S&W revolvers, and was known to do excellent work on Colt wheelguns, too.

That wasn't the be-all, end-all of his talents, though.  Making custom gun parts for autoshuckers and wheelguns left his hands itching to create more, and create he did.

With JET lathe, Bridgeport mill, and Burr-King grinder, he branched his talents out into sharp pointy things, and customers started arriving not just for guns, but also knives.

He built 5 1911 variants for me, 4 from plain-vanilla Norincos that became IPSC race and carry guns, plus a 3.5" Caspian Officer's ACP from just a frame and slide when Caspian had a sale. 

All of the guns wore fitted Kart NM barrels, and the Officer's ACP has a tapered cone lockup threaded onto the shortened Kart in lieu of a barrel bushing. 

The slides were flat-topped, with either Bomars, Novaks, or his own version of a Novak installed.  Frames and slides were de-horned after the Ed Brown beavertail was installed.

Parkerizing was the finish du jour.  You wanted something different, have somebody else do it.

Then there were the knives.  He tried damned near any variety of steel, from files, truck axle shafts, leaf springs, etc.

He ended up settling with plain O-1.  Later on he added homemade San Mai, 154CM, and ATS-34 to his portfolio, but his heart was in O-1.

Watching him mill blade blanks from bar stock, then shaping them on the Burr King was awe-inspiring. 

He'd use his thumb on the back side of the blank to feel the blade getting hot, and then he'd dunk it in a 6-gallon bucket of dirty water before resuming the grind.

We'd stay in either his knife shop or gun shop until Oh-Dark-Thirty, solving the world's problems over his preferred tribute of Mt. Dew (warm). 

One late evening he asked me why I didn't try to make a knife or three.  It never dawned on me, but I said I'd try if he'd point me in the right direction.

After that, I sourced a few blanks, and milled/ground them to shape under his watchful eye.  I learned a few new words via his tutelage. 

I created more than a couple nifty little skeleton skinner types, either naked or wrapped in paracord, from ATS-34.  After the heat treat and draw, I opted for bead blasting instead of polishing.

The knives I made were never (in my own eyes) to the level of artistry that his own creations were, so I gave them away as gifts to friends and family. I knew where the aesthetic or dimensional flaws were, even if they didn't.

I didn't bother to stamp any of them, but I know the current owners still use them nearly every day, so The Master's training was valuable.

I continued to learn knifesmithing, but received orders for a new military assignment away from California in August of 1999.  With much gratitude, I bid adieu to my friend and mentor, and promised to stay in touch.

He had a stroke shortly afterwards.  A year later we visited to see how he was, but he was a shell of his former self.  The knife and gun shops were stripped of their equipment and sold, he was essentially 100% disabled.

He passed away in August of 2010.  It was only afterwards that I learned from his widow - he'd had high hopes I'd pick up where he left off.   =(

I cleaned and oiled my Caspian Officer's ACP CCW gun the other day.  It jogged my memory, so I went to the closet, pulled out the aluminum Halliburton case, and his knives saw daylight again. 

I'll describe them in later posts, but here are the 6 pieces I kept from my late mentor and friend, Richard "Dirty Dick" Bancroft.  There's a bunch of him in each and every one of those blades.

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for friends and mentors.  Now that I've been retired from the Air Force for a while, I do believe it's time for me to do some knifesmithing...

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Thankful for my late mentor.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 11:12:51 PM »
I remember that I asked you about one of those knives a while ago. I don't remember if I wrote back that I was sorry to hear about your friend, so in case I forgot, sorry to hear that his career was cut short. I'm going to follow this thread if you decide to use it to show off your future work. =)
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »
Condolences, G. Post pics of your work; love to see such but can't afford good steel, but I'll enjoy looking!!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »
Gew, you are fortunate to have been friends with a magnificent man such as Mr. Bancroft.  Not many of us are blessed to cross paths with certain kinds of "characters".

My grandfather who was an inventor, a pattern maker, woodworker, painter and metal worker, made two daggers for my dad in WWII.  Dad was in combat in Europe with the 35th Infantry.  He got captured by the Germans just before Grampa finished the knives.
My dad got home safely and I remember being shown those wicked looking knives.  They were made to kill with.  Unfortunately, some bastard broke into my folks house and stole those knives.  I often think of them as they were special constructs.  A couple years later, both knives turned up in an evidence locker on the PD where I worked.  I tried to get possession of them, but the PD brass refused because I had no way of proving that they were our knives.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 05:13:46 AM »
Ok, so the painkillers for the busted and dislocated shoulder aren't working worth sour owl poop tonight, and insomnia has won until exhaustion takes over.

First up, the knife that started my meager collection of fixed blade Bancroft designs. Dick called this his "Field & Bloodstream" model.  He had a twisted sense of humor.

He crafted this specimen as my survival knife, and it lived in my helmet bag with my survival kit for many years. Note that it is "sterile" on purpose, with none of his identifying marks.

The blade is O-1 steel, bevel grind, double heat treat (oil hardened) with double draw, parkerized, and wearing red linen micarta scales. (You'll see micarta as a recurring theme)

The scales were contoured to fit my hands and the gripping slots milled, AFTER they were already DevCon epoxied on and stainless pins affixed. That's how he did all of his knives, and the smell of grinding micarta is something I'll never forget.

The blade length is 5 3/8", OAL is 10 1/4". The paracord lanyard is my own addition, and serves two purposes - blade retention in the field and a quick source of paracord if needed.

It came with a lifetime guarantee - if I ever broke it, he'd replace it with an improved model. I've tried, but didn't break it.

I even used it one sub-zero Eielson AFB morning to chop ice off of a Boeing WC-135's main landing gear. It held up fine, I think he knew I couldn't break it without extraordinary effort.

Another view showing the overall size of the knife compared to my MkI Desert Eagle:

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »
That is some beautiful work. You are privileged to have known such a man.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »
This was the second of Dirty Dick's O-1 "Field & Bloodstream" models I glommed on to, circa 1996.  I had no specific reason to buy it, other than I liked how it handled and looked.

This variation (They were always variations, few knives left his shop looking identical to others)  is dimensionally the same as my warfighter above, but note that it has a more pronounced drop point and sports a hollow grind.

Dick didn't do many hollow grinds because he felt that a bevel grind was the way to go. That's always open for discussion, and I've seen merits for either style.

The scales are black canvas micarta, with three stainless lanyard bushings, making it very easy to lash up as a spear. Note the "D/D" on the spine. The other side is marked "O1".

The knife is currently the property of my father, who was reluctant to loan it out, even for a photo shoot. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »

Damn those are some nice knives. I'm very partial to the "Field & Bloodstream" models, as you say. Bit large for my tastes, but undeniably beautiful
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:54:51 AM »
That is some amazing fit and finish, just looking at the pics.
You are lucky to have run across someone like that to teach you.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »
Ugly works, too. When not grinding blanks out of O-1 tool steel, Dirty Dick made knives from ATS-34 and 154CM.

He was always trying to improve on the basic kitchen knife, so here's his mid-1990s "Mrs. Doubtfire Kitchen Fighter".  Aesthetically pleasing, not so much.  Functionality comes in spades, though.

The knife is fashioned from a very thick (3/16") blank of ATS-34, bevel grind, with millwork on the spine and ricasso for better control when using a forward grip. The blade portion is 5" long, OAL is 9 1/2".

The bent spine design offers more leverage and clearance from the work surface - he tested the prototypes by deboning whole chickens and ducks until the knife "felt right".

The scales are black canvas micarta, and he purposely left the rough mill scale intact, with very little polish work. This was a working kitchen fighter, not a presentation piece.

The pitting is courtesy of my ex-wife and leaking packets of Taco Bell hot sauce.  They add character, as if the knife needed any more.  It's seen, and still sees, a lot of hard use in the kitchen and elsewhere.

Note his unique autograph!

A size comparison with my 6" 1918 DWM Luger:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:20:33 PM by Gewehr98 »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »
My custom "Field & Bloodstream" knife was exceptionally stout, albeit not particularly svelte or burdened with finesse.  It wasn't intended to be nimble.

After hearing my laments, Dick said, "No problem". For hunting, this Bancroft ATS-34 skinner is the cat's meow.

Again, the mill scale was left at the blade/scale interface, and the familiar bevel grind is there. We agreed the knife should have extra belly in the edge for skinning.

For control when choked up forward, there's millwork on the spine and ricasso. The scales are red & black linen micarta, and the blade length is 4", OAL is 8 1/4".

Here's a size comparison with my Bancroft Norinco 1911 IPSC/carry gun and a memento from an employer in a previous life:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »

That last photo says "I have awesome drinking stories".
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 05:05:27 PM »
Beautiful knives.   And Rev points out a truth....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
It's particularly moving and satisfying to me when the personality of a craftsman shows through both in the aesthetic and the functionality of a tool. I think it is one of the most elevating expressions of human creativity and intellect.

Regrettably, I never met Mr. Bancroft, but looking at his work tells me he was one hell of a craftsman. 
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »
I've never had a dagger or boot knife, and had always wanted one some day.

This Bancroft Bootfighter called out to me in a big way. I watched him create it on the fly.  It was something of a whimsical creation on his part, but I had to have it.

Again, his typical ATS-34 with bevel grind.  It is upscale for him, with a brass guard and black linen micarta scales. There's no lanyard bushing.

The blade length is 3 1/2", OAL is 7 1/2". It handles like a dream. Someday I'll get a kydex boot sheath made for it...

Here it is, next to my Bancroft Caspian Officer's ACP:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
Dirty Dick intended to make a small neck knife. What he did, in actuality, was make a perfect small utility and paring knife.

This is O-1 (note the patina), with bevel grind, lanyard bushing, and brown linen micarta scales. Blade length is 3", OAL is 6 3/4".

If you look closely enough, you'll find a temper line curving along the length of the blade - Dick was perfecting his differential heat treat technique.

It's a handy little thing, and sees a lot of use around the house, let alone the kitchen.