Author Topic: An idea I can get behind  (Read 3664 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
An idea I can get behind
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:29:46 PM »
especially if you do it just after dark when it's sure to be most inhabited.

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2013/12/fire-ant_colony_molten_aluminu.html

Fire ants are pretty cool creatures -- I mean, aside from the fact they crawl all up your leg and give no warning of their presence until the team leader sends out the signal to rain down simultaneous, Sodom and Gomorrah-style fire and brimstone on your pink, exposed skin.

That kind of sucks, but ants actually do some good. For instance, they clean up the mess left behind when you accidentally run over an opossum, turning to energy the scraps the buzzards leave behind, and they also help aerate your soil.

And those little suckers have quite the work ethic.

Still, there are few things more fun than exacting a little revenge by spraying them with a slow-acting toxin, and giving them a taste of their own medicine.

Or better yet, you can do what these guys have discovered and pour molten aluminum into their colony. Watch the video. You will be stunned with the result.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: An idea I can get behind
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
How much aluminum would it take to make a cast of Washington D.C.?
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »

A whole lot.

But it would be worth it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:01:31 PM »

Have to wait until after the holidays,  the... er... ants are mostly gone now.  >:D

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »
Looking at the cast and thinking that the Washington bureaucracy is much larger and more complex.  It's going to a whole lot of aluminum.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:38:28 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
That has to be plastic, right?  It kinda looks shiny, but nobody would sell a metal one, right?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »
That has to be plastic, right?  It kinda looks shiny, but nobody would sell a metal one, right?

What could go worng  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »
Is that an actual question, or an expressed disbelief?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »

Yes, yes it is.  :O

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »

Well...

I could imagine some idiot falling for a brushed nickel finish model, so kinda both.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »
How did that get in this thread? That's not where I put it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:55:51 PM »
Posted that on facebook last night. I want to do in a yellowjacket nest with that method. Oh, and the comments around the web about how horrible it is to kill ants for fun...those are some real *expletive deleted*ing stupid p******...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 11:29:06 PM »
That is über cool. Just knowing that a whole colony of fire ants were harmed in the process makes it so much cooler. I think I still have scars from my days in Florida.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 11:43:35 PM »
Oh, and the comments around the web about how horrible it is to kill ants for fun...those are some real *expletive deleted* stupid p******...

The artwork was the one that the ant colony had built. It is pure disrespect for nature and massacre what the "artist" did, and just shameful.
:laugh:

Elsewhere in the comments, the most stupid-awesome interpretation of Proverbs 30.25
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:20:13 AM »
Posted that on facebook last night. I want to do in a yellowjacket nest with that method. Oh, and the comments around the web about how horrible it is to kill ants for fun...those are some real *expletive deleted* stupid p******...

Probably from people who've never stood in a fire ant nest.  Only two things I hate about the south.
Fire ants.
Skeeters.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 10:48:49 AM »
Probably from people who've never stood in a fire ant nest.  Only two things I hate about the south.
Fire ants.
Skeeters.

The trouble with the South is that it's full of Southerners.

=D  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »
The trouble with the South is that it's full of Southerners.

=D  :P
Trouble with the North is it's full of damn yankees  :P
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »
America for Americans!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »
America for Americans!

I reckon I'm about as American as anybody from Tennessee  :lol:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
If your ancestors were not griping about land values going down when the Vikings/Egyptians/Romans/Columbus/Spanish/Pilgrims/English/French/ad nauseum first showed up, you aint American.  At best you are United States-ian.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »
It's all been going downhill since those Asians snuck across the land bridge to Alaska  =D

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »
If your ancestors were not griping about land values going down when the Vikings/Egyptians/Romans/Columbus/Spanish/Pilgrims/English/French/ad nauseum first showed up, you aint American.  At best you are United States-ian.

stay safe.

Several of my ancestors showed up before it was the United States. Some of their kids helped make it the United States, but that was later.

I prefer the term "all american mutt". =D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
Several of my ancestors showed up before it was the United States. Some of their kids helped make it the United States, but that was later.

I prefer the term "all american mutt". =D

Great...grandfather on my mom's side was born in Ulster around 1750, and somehow made it to America in time to serve in the Colonial Army.

On my dad's side, I can't get any further back than "western South Carolina in the late 1700s".  It was still pretty wild and wooly then and there, and to make it worse there are a bunch of "Pines" and I can't figure out which ones I came from.  I suspect he/they came from Perthshire/Angus/Aberdeenshire  =|

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »
So can we get back to the discussion of bringing horrible screaming death metal to much hated bugs?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!