Author Topic: Virgin 2 Crashes at Least One Dead  (Read 3672 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Virgin 2 Crashes at Least One Dead
« on: October 31, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/31/us/spaceshiptwo-incident/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The "United States" space program has taken a couple big hits this week.  First the supply rocket blows up just after launch and now one of our best hopes for private space flight crashes.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Virgin 2 Crashes at Least One Dead
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »
the pilot ejected and is said to be in serious condition.

i'm wondering if the new plasticized fuel had any part of the malfunction?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
the pilot ejected and is said to be in serious condition.

i'm wondering if the new plasticized fuel had any part of the malfunction?

Probably. Solids aren't dirt simple as they're made out to be over liquid, especially when it's hybrid, you're counting on the fuel itself to help contain and direct the combustion and thrust. I'll guess that while it looked good on paper, it does not have the same amount of elasticity, tensile strength etc. as the original rubber based fuel grain, and/or it may combust differently, voids or irregularities in the burn down it's core might not be self-averaging, and create a runaway pocket that kept growing.

Also, solid rocket motors are often not cast in a simple hole down the center or a cone, or star shaped void either. Here's an example of the development of one system going back to the 1940's. Not saying it's like anything Spaceship 1 or 2 were using, but it can get pretty complex depending on what you're going for.

http://www.okieboat.com/Booster%20History.html

And that burns through, unevenly, or gets out of whack, CATO.

They said there was an explosion. And the widely scattered debris field is consistent with Spaceship 2 not crashing in one piece.  

I'd like to see video.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »
Obviously I feel bad for the pilot and anyone else injured or killed in a spacecraft malfunction like this. I would just mention Mercury, Gemini, Apollo. We pushed on through disasters in all those programs, barely skipping a beat. Again, I don't want to see people hurt, but I sure hope the private space race mimics the older US space programs, and not the "second guessing" programs, like the space shuttle.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »
We were a lot tougher then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »
We've had a hundred years to make getting on a plane safer than getting in a car.  I think it was just pointed out to the people who have already signed up for "space tourism" that we still have a long way to go for comparable safety that high up.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »
Considering how many things have to happen in the correct order, at the correct timing, and at the correct pressures/angles/whatnot, I'm surprised we haven't had more failures.

Yeah, there's always going to be setbacks.  There's always going to be accidents.

We've sailed the seas for at least 10,000 years.....and we still lose people to her.  It just goes to show that the universe isn't a warm and cuddly place.  There's dangers out there, along with the wonders.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »
I wonder what they were using for oxidizer, and if a pressure vessel failure could be the issue.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
I wonder what they were using for oxidizer, and if a pressure vessel failure could be the issue.

Brad

Usually in a hybrid design it's Nitrous Oxide, just like a hot rod. Just more of it. Energetic, but isn't as difficult or dangerous to handle as LOX.

You can even get hobbyist hybrid systems with a NOS tank.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
What kind of pressures do they run?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB