Author Topic: Rise in gas prices  (Read 2542 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Rise in gas prices
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 09:34:13 AM »
I for one agree.  People who use ad hominem attacks are morons and probably smell bad too!

grin

On a serious note, the predictable short-term illogic of markets can be confusing and a lack of understanding of the supply chain in commodities does more to advance conspiracy thinking than almost everything except the fact that, when dealing on a global level, the number of variables involved makes coincidences almost inevitable.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 09:58:07 AM »
I am now convinced.  George W. Bush is controlling gas prices and jacked them up over the last couple of days to punish us all for allowing the Democrats to take control of the House and the Senate.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 11:30:30 AM »
Cripes, the answer is right there in the article lumpy first posted.  It was staring him in the face right from the beginning.

What's up with this recent price blip? Violence in Nigeria, threats from members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries to pump less oil and the oncoming winter with its demand for more heating oil.
It's all about market forces.  Shazaam!!  It's all, like, you know, magical, the way things make sense when you know how they work, and like, think about them rationally, or you know, objectively.  Yeah!

But lemme ask you this lumpy:  If George W Bush or Karl Rove or Ken Mehlmen or whomever is pulling strings behind the scenes to manipulate gas prices for political gain, how are they doing it?  It's one thing to want to manipulate prices, it's something else entirely to be able to pull it off. 

Actually, we probably ought to nail down just who, exactly, is doing it before we get into how he (or she) is doing it.

So lumpy:  Name the person responsible for this conspiratorial price manipulation.  Then name the method they're able to employ to make it happen. 

Perhaps you can also explain to me why, if Republicans are manipulating prices to benefit themselves politically, why aren't Democrats manipulating prices the other way to benefit themselves?