Author Topic: ROTC Taints University Campuses - Colman McCarthy, Washington Pos  (Read 13505 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Re: ROTC Taints University Campuses - Colman McCarthy, Washington Pos
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »
So let's see.

In short, Gender/Queer/etc. studies apply the tools of history, literature, and some other humanitarian disciplines to the topic of gender, or queers, or whatever, as it was discussed in the cultures of the past.

I am sure it is polluted by leftism - like all academia - but to think that we shouldn't study the topic is downright preposterous.

Hardly.  Everything should bear scrutiny.  However, the study of things should not be the validating quality of the thing.  In other words, and not trying to Godwin myself, there is a place for Nazi studies, but not a place for a major in Nazi studies.  That would fit into a history major with a psychology minor.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »
So let's see.

In short, Gender/Queer/etc. studies apply the tools of history, literature, and some other humanitarian disciplines to the topic of gender, or queers, or whatever, as it was discussed in the cultures of the past.

I am sure it is polluted by leftism - like all academia - but to think that we shouldn't study the topic is downright preposterous.

This is America.  Folks can study anything they please.

That said, this is America.  We have a right to mock the downright preposterous, and we do (and should).  Folks are entitled to study basket-weaving studies to their heart's content.  I can and will mock them for it, unless they're just trying to get a piece of paper and concede that as their sole point. 

With respect, I'll do the same not only for GLBT studies, but also gender studies, a lot of sociology, and other non-science or non-productive degrees.  Not because the degrees are worthless, but because the folks holding said degrees have no idea how to often use said "knowledge" for anything productive.  Yes, "learning for learning's sake" is valid.  Mind you, this is coming from a guy with kydex molding and sewing equipment in his dining area, fermenting wine in his laundry room, and stacks of books everywhere. 

Here's a good idea if a degree is basketweaving or not.  Is there any serious market for said degree whatsoever outside of being a professor of said degree or writer for a journal about said degree?  Yes?  It's not a basketweaving degree.  No?  It's a basketweaving degree.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
This might come as a complete shock, but I was not defending these degrees on the premise of them being economical. I was defending them on the premise of them being an extension of legitimate fields of knowledge in the humanities.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »
This might come as a complete shock, but I was not defending these degrees on the premise of them being economical. I was defending them on the premise of them being an extension of legitimate fields of knowledge in the humanities.

I'd say "legitimate fields of knowledge" is a bit of a stretch.  If a field of knowledge is entirely subjective (such as being primarily opinions), it's hard to call it a field of knowledge. 

I would grant them as being an extension of humanities.  "Legitimate", "field" or "knowledge" is a bit much.  Philosophy, law, history, literature, et al are legitimate fields of knowledge in the humanities.  Basketweaving studies is sorta, kinda, but not really a humanities degree. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
Again: all that these fields claim to do is apply the tools of more general fields of knowledge to a specific subject.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 03:25:25 PM »
This is America.  Folks can study anything they please.

That said, this is America.  We have a right to mock the downright preposterous, and we do (and should).

Exactly.  Like most post-pubescent males, I spent a great deal of time at one point of my life in the in-depth study of my genitals.  That doesn't mean there should be taxpayer-supported degrees available in KD5NRH's-genital-studies.  (Though it is pretty much the only way some of my tutors and group-study partners could ever hope to graduate with honors.)

Again: all that these fields claim to do is apply the tools of more general fields of knowledge to a specific subject.

Well, I applied a lot of biology, sociology, psychology, the occasional bit of chemistry, etc. in my genital studies.  If that somehow legitimizes it as a degree path, please direct me as to how to pursue its inclusion in a university curriculum so that I can CLEP my way to a PhD and start teaching the course.

(Note; online and distance learning courses may be available, but all labs must be attended in person.  Female applicants, please send photos for determination of lab fees and/or availability of special tuition assistance.  Male applicants, please just assume you can't afford it.)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »
Here's a good idea if a degree is basketweaving or not.  Is there any serious market for said degree whatsoever outside of being a professor of said degree or writer for a journal about said degree?  Yes?  It's not a basketweaving degree.  No?  It's a basketweaving degree.

For the win.  I once knew a very bright young poli-sic grad.  When he found out that he couldn't find work in intelligence,or anything else he thought was worthy, his fall back plan was to go back and get his doctorate and then teach.  At that point, his cv would have jumped from game stop retail sales to college professor. 

Hell, I myself realized that my English degree qualified me to either teach English or discuss dead white guys whilst frying mcnuggets during my junior year.

And now I own a machine shop.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
My English degree qualified me to be a published writer and translator.

Like many things in life, education is what you put into it.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »
I do take objection to the "basket weaving" shibboleth.  Basket weaving actually is a productive economic activity whereas these <grievance group>-studies are more along the lines of Navel Gazing. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
I do take objection to the "basket weaving" shibboleth.  Basket weaving actually is a productive economic activity whereas these <grievance group>-studies are more along the lines of Navel Gazing.

Navel gazing is actually a low-level course in the genital studies curriculum.  (It gives you something to do when you can't find a study group, and self-study just isn't helping.)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 11:11:56 PM »

Based on what my wife pays for her Longaberger baskets, someone, somewhere, has figured out how to make money from basket weaving.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 04:25:35 AM »

I'm waiting for an explanation for why there shouldn't be an []-studies department at universities.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
The PROPER term for the course is "Production and Design of Cultural Anthropological Artifacts."   =D

When I was in college, we didn't have quite this level of nonsense . . . but younger colleagues have informed me what they consist of . . . here a a few examples:

Womyn's studies: Estrogen good. Testosterone bad. Men are oppressors. Civilization is the result of womyn's efforts. You will NOT disagree with the professor, or take issue with anything taught!!! (Again, note the spelling of womyn.)

Ethnic studies: White "ice people" are oppressors. Africa is the cradle of civilization. Cleopatra - said to be the most beautiful woman in history - was black. (You will NOT cite her Macedonian Greek ancestry, lest the professor level charges of racism against you!!!)

These are not repeat not extensions of any legitimate field of knowledge, they are organized propaganda programs by professional grievance group "victims." (Google Ward Churchill, who was an ethnic studies department head in Colorado for a time before his plagiarism, lies about his background, and other extremist nonsense caught up with him. A department head!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »
When I worked at certain air freight company, someone in HR noticed that all we hired were male former military officers.  That simply wouldn't do, so they brought in some fresh out of college females, to get Chicago Independent Local 705 (We Don't Work and You Can't Make Us) Teamsters to do their jobs. 

We had one who was a "Womyn's Studies" major.  There was a daily pool amongst the drivers as to what time she would leave the morning sort on the dock in tears.  And it was the WOMEN drivers who did damnedest to make her cry.    Her record time was 7 minutes.   The morning sort usually lasted an hour or less.

She lasted 3 weeks.

Considering that the average turnover for male former military officers was 6 months, HR was "shocked, I tell you", to see that the fresh out of college females lasted at just under a month.  ;/   :facepalm:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
I'm waiting for an explanation for why there shouldn't be an []-studies department at universities.

IMHO, from meeting numerous graduates of <blank> studies groups.
Most <blank> Studies groups are nothing more than propaganda fests for grievance groups, with little actual antropological impact. 

To add insult to injury, government is knuckle deep in providing various grants and subsidies to students and schools.  Just a gut feeling, but I bet China isn't producing tons of Ethnic or Women's studies majors on the government dime.  We will continue to fall as a nation when we subsidize such nonsense.  You need a government grant? Fine.  As long as its in a productive field (science, medicine, engineering, business, etc). 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »

We had one who was a "Womyn's Studies" major.  There was a daily pool amongst the drivers as to what time she would leave the morning sort on the dock in tears.  And it was the WOMEN drivers who did damnedest to make her cry.    Her record time was 7 minutes.   The morning sort usually lasted an hour or less.

She lasted 3 weeks.

Considering that the average turnover for male former military officers was 6 months, HR was "shocked, I tell you", to see that the fresh out of college females lasted at just under a month.  ;/   :facepalm:

Sounds amusing. More details, please.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 03:55:19 PM »
IMHO, from meeting numerous graduates of <blank> studies groups.
Most <blank> Studies groups are nothing more than propaganda fests for grievance groups, with little actual antropological impact. 

To add insult to injury, government is knuckle deep in providing various grants and subsidies to students and schools.  Just a gut feeling, but I bet China isn't producing tons of Ethnic or Women's studies majors on the government dime.  We will continue to fall as a nation when we subsidize such nonsense.  You need a government grant? Fine.  As long as its in a productive field (science, medicine, engineering, business, etc). 

It's interesting that you feel that America fails as a nation.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 04:51:15 PM »
It's interesting that you feel that America fails as a nation.
The word used is "fall".  One can reverse a fall, a fail is an end.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 05:24:06 PM »
Sorry, I misread that.

I do not believe America is falling as a nation. Improvements are obvious in many meaningful metrics.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
. . . Just a gut feeling, but I bet China isn't producing tons of Ethnic or Women's studies majors on the government dime . . .
I suspect you're right. And I don't think it would be too far off topic to mention that the high schools in, say, Shanghai, aren't spending $60,000,000 of their "education" budget on a football stadium, either . . .  see:  (http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1074494)

(Mentioned Shanghai specifically because they seem to be doing rather well as high schools:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »
If only the peace movement were as populated by people of such resolve and daring.
:laugh:
The real peace movement is populated by quite a large number of people with resolve and daring.  It is called the United States Armed Forces.  They do more to preserve and maintain peace here and abroad than any of those "peace" movements.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 06:31:21 PM »
The real peace movement is populated by quite a large number of people with resolve and daring.  It is called the United States Armed Forces.  They do more to preserve and maintain peace here and abroad than any of those "peace" movements.

Q

F

T

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »
When I worked at certain air freight company, someone in HR noticed that all we hired were male former military officers.  That simply wouldn't do, so they brought in some fresh out of college females, to get Chicago Independent Local 705 (We Don't Work and You Can't Make Us) Teamsters to do their jobs. 

She lasted 3 weeks.

So did you do the honorable thing and treat these individuals the same way that you would want your wife, sister, daughter or mother treated in the workplace? Did you speak up upon any mistreatment of the employee?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
So did you do the honorable thing and treat these individuals the same way that you would want your wife, sister, daughter or mother treated in the workplace? Did you speak up upon any mistreatment of the employee?

Nice questions ^^^ not pertinent to the problem, which is a whole lot bigger than one women's studies oxygen thief.

0. Not all positions of employment are in nice, corporate environments with well-mannered folks who have earned substantive degrees, are drug screened, and undergo extensive background checks like they do at my work.  Weeds out a lot of the aggressively nasty types.

1. Sounds like scout was a low/mid-level super.  IOW, not eligible to be in the union and effect change within.

2. Being low/mid-level mgt, there is little one can do to effect change in union relations & employees from without.

3. I am sure scout would have warned any females he cared for to avoid such positions like the plague.

4. The union sounds like some of the aggressively antagonistic unions my dad dealt with.  Likely he dealt with that same union (or another sub-org) when we lived just outside Chicago, as my dad's field was logistics.  Low/mid level supers making noise about the union will accomplish exactly zero.  STFU and deal with it would have been the reply.

5. There were some log jobs dealing with such troublesome unions that my dad would have quit the company before working those locations.  Worse than what scout described.  Eventually, my dad's employer solved all the antagonistic union problems by getting out of the log business and outsourcing it to a non-union log company.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »
^^^^ Being a senior manager at a company with 55,000 employees, I have to deal with this sort of stuff on occasion. And I have signed the termination papers for people who cannot get with the program from the hostile work environment perspective.  Perhaps it is a West Coast phenomenon (my company is up and down the West Coast), but the unions I deal with are not particularly supportive of their members who practice racial, sexual or other discrimination upon a protected class.  But healthcare may be a very different environment; I have not spent enough time in other occupational environments to be able to comment knowledgeably on them.