Author Topic: TV Question  (Read 1124 times)

wuluf

• friend
TV Question
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
I have an "old school" 27 inch TV.  Fox's NFL game today looks letterboxed on my TV.  Is this something new?  Is the picture size changing because of all the newer sizes/proportions?  I wasn't going to buy a new TV til this one dies..

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: TV Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:54:36 PM »
Even if your set is older it might be smart enough to recognize whether the incoming signal is 4:3 or 16:9.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »
Check the settings on your remote control.  My dinosaur TV is on a DTV converter which has a zoom button that cycles through the settings.  Drove me nuts until I figured that out.

Wide 14:9
Zoom
Anamorphic
Wide 16:9

" I wasn't going to buy a new TV til this one dies.."

Good for you!  I, too, run things until the smoke leaks out.

I am reminded of this "down east" aphorism.  It should be read aloud with a New England twang at your breakfast table every morning:

Buy it cheap.

Make it do.

Use it up.

Do without.

Ayup.

Terry, "World Class Cheapskate," 230RN

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:01:11 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »
weird, it was just Fox.  The CBS game is full screen!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »
The game is being presented in widescreen format (16:9 rectangular).  You are viewing it on an old-school TV (4:3 square).  Rectangular picture through a square TV equals letterboxing (unless you set it to crop the pic square in which case you lose roughly a third of the picture to the side crops).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
Thank you Brad!  In simple words that I can understand!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 11:57:39 PM »
IF you ever get a widescreen TV you'll have the same problem, only in reverse.  Old square program viewed through widescreen TV will necessitate either stretching the pic to the sides in order to fit it the screen (which gives everyone and everything an oval-head Mario Brothers look), OR, pillar-boxing the pic with black bars on the sides to fill in the gaps (or like some programs do and use some kind of blurred overlay in the blank areas to fill the gaps).

Unfortunately, some networks have become bastions of screwing with their programming at the source.  They will take a standard def show and morph it to fit their widescreen format, forcing you to jack around with the aspect ratio to get everything back in scale. 

Before anyone says it, I know, it's a result of a bunch of dunderhead viewers who insist on having the picture fill the whole screen no matter how grossly morphed it might be.  Unfortunately that is a great deal of the viewing public.  That's why movies, up until HD and Blu-Ray formats, were always offered in full-screen and widescreen versions, the former marketed to mainstream viewers and the later usually relegated to Special or Extended Collector Edition status.  You want a horrible experience?  Try watching the LoTR special extended editions in pan&scan.  It's bloody awful.

Want an exercise in futility?  Try to convince someone their 4:3 fullscreen version of some magnificently restored 2.35:1 CinemaScope treasure is actually only 2/3rds of the movie.  The widescreen version can't be right 'cause, dammit!, can't you see those stupid black bars at the top and bottom of the screen??!!

Thankfully Blu-Ray eleminates some of that due to it's 16:9 native aspect ratio.  You will still get some letterboxing on the extreme wide-scope films (How The West Was Won comes to mind as the most extreme example) but it's minor enough most of the time folks don't even notice.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

erictank

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »
IF you ever get a widescreen TV you'll have the same problem, only in reverse.  Old square program viewed through widescreen TV will necessitate either stretching the pic to the sides in order to fit it the screen (which gives everyone and everything an oval-head Mario Brothers look), OR, pillar-boxing the pic with black bars on the sides to fill in the gaps (or like some programs do and use some kind of blurred overlay in the blank areas to fill the gaps).

Unfortunately, some networks have become bastions of screwing with their programming at the source.  They will take a standard def show and morph it to fit their widescreen format, forcing you to jack around with the aspect ratio to get everything back in scale. 

Before anyone says it, I know, it's a result of a bunch of dunderhead viewers who insist on having the picture fill the whole screen no matter how grossly morphed it might be.  Unfortunately that is a great deal of the viewing public.  That's why movies, up until HD and Blu-Ray formats, were always offered in full-screen and widescreen versions, the former marketed to mainstream viewers and the later usually relegated to Special or Extended Collector Edition status.  You want a horrible experience?  Try watching the LoTR special extended editions in pan&scan.  It's bloody awful.

Want an exercise in futility?  Try to convince someone their 4:3 fullscreen version of some magnificently restored 2.35:1 CinemaScope treasure is actually only 2/3rds of the movie.  The widescreen version can't be right 'cause, dammit!, can't you see those stupid black bars at the top and bottom of the screen??!!

Thankfully Blu-Ray eleminates some of that due to it's 16:9 native aspect ratio.  You will still get some letterboxing on the extreme wide-scope films (How The West Was Won comes to mind as the most extreme example) but it's minor enough most of the time folks don't even notice.

Brad

AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Dear DEITY do I hate pan & scan.  Family used to buy me 4:3 copies of movies I asked for for Christmas, and I used to have to return them because I *ALWAYS* noticed the P&S.  On a few occasions it made me (momentarily) dizzy.  They all know better now, and I think I'm bringing them around on widescreen for their own use, now that they get that it's the whole picture.  Helps that they're making the switch to WS HDTVs themselves, I suppose.