Author Topic: Disposal of an unregistered NFA item?  (Read 2242 times)

wooderson

• friend
Disposal of an unregistered NFA item?
« on: October 24, 2007, 11:29:16 AM »
EDITED to remove details - not sure how close it would have been to skirting trouble for APS.

Could an unregistered select-fire M16 (allegedly 'brought back from Vietnam') be turned into the police (or other authorities) without risk for the current owner?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
Re: Disposal of an unregistered NFA item?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
nb: the best answer here is 'contact a lawyer' (which was my suggestion to the person who posed a form of this question to me - except he'd never heard of the registry or 1968/86 laws), but I know little of the ways of the ATF.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 11:42:44 AM »
How much they want for it?

Just kidding... I'd probably part it out and take a torch to the bolt and lower reciever.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:44:51 AM »
Best bet:

Contact a lawyer.

If they don't want it destroyed, contact the branch it came from, they may be willing to take it for a museum.

If it's just an ordinary M-16, though, I would say the best thing possible is that the receiver never existed, and whatever means is necessary to make sure it never existed. The rest of it is quite legal and can be used to build a semi replica with a pin adapter and new lower.

Do not contact the agency mentioned. It would be like accidentally stepping on a landmine, but the landmine would be less injurious.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
VERY tough call.

When I was working for the gunshop around 1994 a kid (probably 24-25) brought in something his Grandfather, an officer in the Army during WWII, had gotten back from Italy...

A Beretta M1938 submachine gun, with full tools, and 6 magazines in the issue canvas case.

I've never seen one as nice as that one. It looked to be unissued, and was probably worth at least 5 figures.

He had the military accession papers with it, but NOTHING from ATF.

I advised him to contact the attorneys at NRA.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 11:46:54 AM »
Step one: Get a lawyer, a good one, and one with NFA experience.

Step two:  Contact a muesum (Like my personal favorite The 1st Infantry Division Museum at Cantigny here in Wheaton, IL  http://www.firstdivisionmuseum.org/ ) so that it may have a chance of not being destroyed by the BATFE.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 11:59:25 AM »
Take the sucker apart.

Now, what is the offending part? The trigger group?

Bury it somewhere.

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:00:32 PM »
Take the sucker apart.

Now, what is the offending part? The trigger group?

Bury it somewhere.

Receiver and bolt, AFAIK. The rest is just fine, and can be used to make a legal gun. A real M16 receiver is quite obvious, as it has the markings for da switch!

SomeKid

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »
Bolts are nfa now?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 12:03:45 PM »
Bolts are nfa now?

In this case, yes.
The BATF has interpreted the law such that parts which would convert a firearm into an NFA firearm are subject to registration including:

* Any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting weapons into machineguns;
    * Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for converting a weapon into a machinegun;
    * Any combination of parts from which machineguns can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person;

The M16 bolt carrier will have about a 2" closed section at the rear that actually trips the auto sear in full-auto fire. Semi-auto versions have either a reduced closed bottom section (about 1/2"), or a completely open bottom (made so that an adapter to M-16 configuration cannot be installed).

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:35:57 PM »
Haha, my second suggestion after call a lawyer was to dump it in a bucket of concrete and ditch it the next time they (person in question is the brother of an old family friend) went fishing in the Gulf. Wasn't sure if saying that here would make APS look bad - guess not.

For some reason I hadn't considered taking it apart and rebuilding on a new receiver. I'm ordering the punches/tools to build on my own lowers, and I assume the guy remembers some of his Army training, I'll definitely recommend that. I guess after he heard about the rapper getting busted for 'machine guns' in Georgia, he got nervous.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 04:41:59 PM »
You don't need tools to rebuild on a new lower.

It comes apart like any AR. You just need pin adaptors for the new pins to fit in the larger diameter pin holes on the old Colt M16 upper. Just hang onto the old buttstock, too, even the grip if you want total authentic and if it'll fit.

Tell him to order a new Stag lower and reuse all the rest of the parts, and order a new bolt carrier, bolt and pin adapters. It'll be like $160 for the assembled lower, $120 for a phosphate bolt assembly.

Nobody here is suggesting breaking a law, everyone is saying to abide by it. And once the reciever and bolt are destroyed, using the remaining parts is in full compliance with the law.

I've got a "government profile" AR built using a Colt/Martin Marietta 20" A2 upper probably from an early 80's M-16, a matching buttstock, DPMS chromed bolt and a Stag lower. It works fine.

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 10:04:33 AM »
PVC pipe, endcaps, silicone sealant, shovel.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 10:42:47 AM »

Save it for the end of days or TEKOWAWKI.  Hide it.  Don't talk about it.  Don't play with it, don't shoot it.  Just remember it's put away in a safe place for the day you need it, and hope you never do.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

The Viking

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »

Save it for the end of days or TEKOWAWKI.  Hide it.  Don't talk about it.  Don't play with it, don't shoot it.  Just remember it's put away in a safe place for the day you need it, and hope you never do.
And wipe everything surface as well. Atleast that's what I'd do. Just in case someone else found it and turned it in.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 01:55:42 PM »
Seriously guys, if TEOTWAWKI happens, do you really want to fight the ravening hordes with something that's been underground for years?  grin
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 03:25:28 PM »
Acetyline torch to the offending parts.

As much as full auto could be "fun", it isn't that useful unless practiced with.

You ain't gonna practice with it.

Take it down, and melt the receiver and bolt to bubbling puddles of molten magma.

Molten magma.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 04:45:50 PM »
I thought some hipower shooters actually used M16 bolts on the theory that they were a bit heavier, and thus reduced cyclic rate, increasing accuracy?

In any case, it's simply an M16, like millions made before - why give something so "common" to a museum? Parting out the gun, keeping the legal parts and destroying the ones that would send me to the Graybar Motel is what I'd do.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain