Author Topic: CMP Special Grade Garand arrived today (large-ish pictures ahoy)  (Read 11167 times)

wooderson

• friend
Stopped by the hub to pick it up since FedEx/UPS apparently base their delivery schedules on 'stay at home parents' and retirees.

GI receiver, commercial barrel, new stock, all parts refinished. My case of ammo arrives tomorrow, hope I can get some rounds in this weekend at the club.

CMP Cartouche on new stock

"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
Re: CMP Special Grade Garand arrived today (large-ish pictures ahoy)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:52:45 PM »
Full-length in repose.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »
Ain't that a purty peep sight.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 01:53:57 PM »
opposite the cartouche

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 01:54:41 PM »
Ye gods, it's beautiful.  I've always wanted a Garand, but don't think I'll ever be in a position to own one.

It's wonderful.  And I hate you.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »
another full-length, where you can see the china marker/chalk/something that doesn't wipe off. Need to get some real fine steel wool.

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:57:38 PM »
They're ok, but fussy about ammo and not as accurate as a boltgun.  I sold mine and don't miss it.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:59:19 PM »
You're no fun Riles.  It's all about the Garand thumb!

/Sacrilege on

Although honestly for practical purposes, other platforms are arguably better for various reasons.  But I wouldn't want a Garand because it was practical.

/Sacrilege off

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
I'm a terrible rifleman anyway (only person I know more accurate at 25 yards with a handgun than a rifle... kidding. kinda.), I've always just wanted to own one.

I also have one of the WWII-style Auto Ordnance Tommy Guns - expensive, finicky, actually pretty accurate, completely useless - but bloody cool! Woulda bought an AO M1 Carbine but pops beat me to it - and if I can use his, no reason to spend $550.

wooderson

• friend

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 02:09:14 PM »
Now I hate you in high resolution.  Hate, hate, hate!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 02:25:35 PM »
Hokey smokes that's nice! I thought they were down to rack grade on the Garands. Do they have more of these?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 02:28:25 PM »
I'm a terrible rifleman anyway (only person I know more accurate at 25 yards with a handgun than a rifle... kidding. kinda.), I've always just wanted to own one.

I'm the complete opposite.  I can hit a person sized target at 25m with a handgun.  Pretty regularly.  I hope.  Gimme an assault rifle or a light MG, I'll put 30 out of 30 in a coffee can at 100m in 5 to 6 round bursts in under 25 seconds.

Beautiful rifle, by the way.  Not my cup of tea, but I recognize something special regardless.  Let us know how it shoots
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »
They are out of the Special Grades - only 1000 produced in the first run, I've heard.

Still have Service Grade (which are supposed to be excellent this time around) and Field Grade being prepped. Taking orders now, but they may not ship until January.

Len Budney

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »
Drool!

I'm torn, though, between the CMP service-grade at $595, and the Garand Guy's "premium grade" at $895. The CMP claims that "the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5," while the Garand guy claims that his "have a GI barrel gauging 2 or 3."

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 03:32:17 PM »
Real pretty! I hate you too...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 03:41:51 PM »
It is beautiful. But I do not hate you.

I got a thing for stainless and probably will get the new Mini-14 before Hitlery gets in office and bans them all.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 05:30:38 PM »
They're ok, but fussy about ammo and not as accurate as a boltgun.  I sold mine and don't miss it.
But they're just so fun too shoot (I occassionally use mine when we have side matches after a regular IPSC match) and they'll do minute of man at 300 yards easy.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 06:05:28 PM »
I've got a Garand and I still hate you.  I want another one.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 06:38:19 PM »
Nice rifle! I have a couple , a service grade and a field grade , both from the CMP.  with my crappy old eyes the service will do about a clip into 2.5-3" at 100 yds, and the field into about 3-4". But they did not come that way the field grade in particular was all over an 12" square when I received it, it took staking the gas tube and some stock wood removal inside the barrel channel and operating rod cut to make it shoot. Quite frankly, I was going to have a new tube put on it, but decided to tinker and was pleasantly surprised at how the gun tightened up. The same sort of thing was done to the service grade, and the stock had to be shimmed for a tight fit- that gun went from shooting vertical strings 3" wide by 5" high to shooting nice round groups at 2.5"-3".  The CMP just can't be beat for price/quality, and the customer service is #1.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 09:12:36 PM »
I'll add my hate to the bunch. We're a petty, jealous group, aren't we?  grin
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 07:43:33 AM »
wooderson:

That is sweet.

If you need relief from all the hate, I have access to a 200 yd range nearby and Tacpro & its 1000 yd range is only a couple hours from my front door.

Again, that is one nice shooting iron.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

The Viking

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 07:53:14 AM »
I want one. How much would one have to pay for one, non-CMP Garand?

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 10:42:37 AM »
I want one. How much would one have to pay for one, non-CMP Garand?

Non-CMP Garands are getting more expensive by the day. I've seen those in really top notch condition sell for $1200 +. The average here in OKC if you can find one is around $900.

FWIW unless you're just into the history and want to own something that might have seen combat or been carried around by some foreign soldier for some years, Springfield Armory makes a good one from mostly GI parts that runs about $1200 or so. You can also get it in 7.62X51 NATO (ammo more readily available) instead of 30-06 if you want. I've shot a number of them and quite frankly may turn my Garand into a safe queen and get one from SA.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 10:45:24 AM »
Check out the Garand Guy's webpage for nice 'remanufactured' Garands as well - www.garandguy.com.

If the Special hadn't come along, I was wavering between a 'Service Grade' shooter and his $1095 model w/ new stock and barrel.