Author Topic: CMP Special Grade Garand arrived today (large-ish pictures ahoy)  (Read 11168 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: CMP Special Grade Garand arrived today (large-ish pictures ahoy)
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 11:46:32 AM »
That's a nice rifle - a genuine, forged-receiver M1 Garand, built by people who ought to know how to do it right!

I've got a couple of CMP rifles myself - a USGI Service Grade, a Greek Service Grade, and a USGI Field Grade. The first rifle only required a little cleanup, the second rifle required a stock refinish, the third . . . well, I wanted a "project" gun, and that's what I got.

For other people considering a CMP rifle, be sure to read and understand the CMP's written descriptions - you may get lucky and receive something exceptionally nice, but you're much more likely to get something that meets, rather than surpasses, the grade standards.

Here are some pix of a CMP Service Grade . . . typical mixmaster, 1955 vintage with original barrel, rebuilt at Springfield Armory with birch stock bearing DAS cartouche. Groups 8 rounds of USGI milsurp ball into about 2" x 3" at 100 yards, which is about as well as I can shoot with irons.(extra brownie points if you're the first to catch the error.  grin )

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The Viking

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
I want one. How much would one have to pay for one, non-CMP Garand?

Non-CMP Garands are getting more expensive by the day. I've seen those in really top notch condition sell for $1200 +. The average here in OKC if you can find one is around $900.

FWIW unless you're just into the history and want to own something that might have seen combat or been carried around by some foreign soldier for some years, Springfield Armory makes a good one from mostly GI parts that runs about $1200 or so. You can also get it in 7.62X51 NATO (ammo more readily available) instead of 30-06 if you want. I've shot a number of them and quite frankly may turn my Garand into a safe queen and get one from SA.
I had forgotten about the Springfield Armory Garands. Considering that the dollar is incredibly inexpensive right now, I think I shall pass that silly hunting exam, then hand in my license application to the local police Cheesy.

Len Budney

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 04:57:46 AM »

Now that's a thing of beauty. You've pretty much made up my mind for me.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.