Author Topic: Firefox not blocking all popups  (Read 4024 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Firefox not blocking all popups
« on: August 14, 2005, 06:25:10 AM »
A few months ago, Firefox began failing to block popups at some sites.  Drudgereport is the worst in this regard, but it happens at some other sites as well.  Better popup blocking is one of the reasons I use Firefox (it sure isn't site compatability), but now the 3rd part popup blocker on IE works better than Firefox.  Yes, I have FF configured to block all popups at all sites.

Any ideas?

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 06:35:23 AM »
Turning off javascript solved the problem, but the buttons on web forums stopped working.  

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 06:41:02 AM »
I have no ideas, but I can confirm that this started happening to me recently too. There may be some new pop-up scripts out there that Firefox needs to update for. Interestingly, since this started, I find I'm getting more occurrences in Linux Firefox than I am in Windoze Firefox.

You'd think the fact that pop-up blockers even exist would give sites the hint that they annoy the hell out of people and have the opposite effect that the site is hoping for.  I can understand marginal websites being lame-assed about it, but sites like Travelocity, etc. that are supposed to be reputable and that people really use, versus just view, should know better.

Edited to add: Yeah, turning off all Java stuff takes care of it, but with so many sites using Java, it really limits access at a lot of webpages, and is almost more annoying than the popups. Sometimes I wish we'd just go back to plain old text and image webpages.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 06:49:55 AM »
I just found a Microsoft add-on that gives me tabbed browsing and a popup blocker for IE.  The popup blocker doesn't work as well as the 3rd part blocker, but the tabbed browsing works fine.  I'm going to try it for a few days and if it work for me, I'm dumping Firefox.  I'm tired of using two different browsers depending on which site I visit.  Spyware, viruses, etc haven't been a problem for me, nor do I use the advanced features of FF such as themes and plugins.

Chris

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 08:08:23 AM »
If you want better blocking try installing adblock

http://adblock.mozdev.org/

Then install the filterset.g rules for adblock:

http://www.pierceive.com/

Or, if you like the add-on for IE stick with it.  It wouldn't happen to be Avant would it?  Excellent add on for IE.  I wouldn't use IE without it.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 08:18:06 AM »
He'll eventually figure out that I sent him a script to allow the most annoying pop-ups to pop up...

Need a second mortgage to pay for the aluminum siding for that crypt?

How about a penis the size of Mt. Rushmore?

All this giving you a headache? Dr. Nick Riveria (HI, DR. NICK!) will prescribe something for you from our safe, discrete, online pharmacy!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 08:20:36 AM »
Hey Dr Nick, I have a question - why does my wife get the bigger penis spam and I get the bigger breasts spam?  Do you know something I don't know?

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 08:21:17 AM »
I did not have a problem with Pop-Ups using Firefox.

Understand I am an older returning student taking IT/CIS classes.  I started this Computer stuff late in life.  So I admit I am no where up to the speed many folks are.  I have to use MS XPPro, IE, OE, and other garbage at College to take these classes. I use these on Campus - at home I don't.

Well...*grin* I have / learned some ways around doing my online classes from home when I am supposed to using MS stuff.

The only problem I had Computer-wise was my POP3 would NOT work with Norton Internet Security - I found out there are over 2 million hits on Google about the NEGATIVE of NIS.  I was also using Zone Alarm at that time.

I could NOT access many of my online texts with NIS - had to disable it.  A few times NIS "tried" to kick me out during a timed test on another site. That pissed me off. Having to re-check 30+ answers.  We had 30 min to answer 60 questions - with 5 more questions for extra points.

I also had Free AVG Anti-virus at the same time...I didn't know having 2 AV was a no no.

So before the Fall semeser hit - I took the time to:

Install:
-The latest Firefox install.
-Thunderbird
-Free Kerio Personal Firewall.
-Newest version of  Free AVG Antivirus  [ AVG and Kerio are compatible.
-Newest version of  Free Ad-Aware SE
-Checked for updates on Spybot Search&Destroy - I had it already.
-Run free CW Shredder again. ( still clean...yeah!)

Un-installed Quicktime and installed the newest free version. [ My preferred]
Un-installed Win Media Player 9 , Installed Win Media Player 10 [ I have to use this one to view labs and demos]

Latest updates to Free Adobe, Real Player, Shockwave, Macromedia, all that stuff ...used again for classes and online texts.

Now I had to do a Windows Update [grumble grumble] and yes the damn Validation Tool was REQUIRED [ more cussing and fussing]

Yes there is a Trojan horse that I and everyone else gets that does this update - AVG caught it - and removed it.

Also go into IE > tools> manage add ons. "What has been on IE"  Yes -you will see the Validation tool, and everything else too. Highlight and click the "disable" at the botton of dialogue box.

I ran everything again, Clean, safe and secure.  I do not get popups.  I also allow Kerio to block pop-ups.

Granted I never had a problem with pop-ups before at home. Now at College with IE, yes at times I did even with all the fancy NIS and all.

I am one that stands with others under the Sponsors banners of MS and such at College in the IT dept and suggest Mozzila, and all this other Free stuff.

Not that I am correct, I admit I am not to where others are - or have the expereince, just works for me.

Oh...I suggested a friend get the Free OpenOffice.org instead of buying a MS office suite. Works great, user friendly, and with the monies he saved he bought  Flashdrives, printing paper,envelopes,stamps and all sorts of stuff. Money well spent.  He made some really nice business cards using it.

HTH

Steve

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 10:40:45 AM »
Thanks for those links Bryan. Admittedly I am often too lazy to go to the "latest plug-ins" page and see what's up. I'm gonna give them a try and see what happens.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 12:02:50 PM »
Havn't had a problem with IE (despite what everyone tells me) or Firefox until recently.  The past few weeks, popups have been sneaking past both.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 12:03:03 PM »
"Hey Dr Nick, I have a question - why does my wife get the bigger penis spam and I get the bigger breasts spam?  Do you know something I don't know?"

HI EVERYBODY! (Hi, Dr. Nick!)

You get the booby spam because that's what every man wants for his wife, fantabulous mounds of fun flesh!

She gets the todger spam because that's what she wants you to have!

It's cross marketing!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 12:04:24 PM »
So, it isn't good if I get the penis enlargement spam?

umm...oh...

Nevermind.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 02:48:03 PM »
"So, it isn't good if I get the penis enlargement spam?"

Dr. Nick says, "You have a kid. It would be wasted on you!"

Of course, you do wear those Hawaiian shirts...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 03:30:43 PM »
Those are my urban cammo/CCW cover garments. Smiley

Chris

Justin

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 08:19:40 AM »
Where did you find the tabbed browsing add on for Explorer?  Will it work with version 6?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 09:25:21 AM »
It was on Microsoft's site.  IE6 is what I'm using it with.  It adds a bunch of other junk as well though, so it's a mixed bag.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 10:26:41 AM »
Uh, Chris?

They're urban camo only if you're trying to blend in Dupont Circle...

To quote Homer Simpson...

"Only gays and big fat party animals wear Hawaiian shirts, and Bart doesn't look like a big fat party animal!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »
That damn Dupont Circle is a stigmatic pox on the fashionable male. As per my ex girlfriend from DC,
Hawaiian shirts = gay
cowboy boots=gay
There goes my whole dadgum  wardrobe.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 02:36:30 PM »
Some have tried what this site recommends and report success.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 03:06:39 PM »
Quote from: Parker Dean
Some have tried what this site recommends and report success.
Thanks!  That seems to work.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 03:25:23 PM »
You Da Man Parker! Cheesy

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2005, 02:11:51 AM »
For those who want to use IE with tabbed browsing & popup blocking and such I highly recommend

http://www.avantbrowser.com

Avant uses the IE engine and adds the features mentioned among others.  Annoyingly enough I have to use IE for my online banking so I use Avant for that.