Author Topic: Grammar nazis wanted  (Read 4012 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Grammar nazis wanted
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:41:54 AM »
Within the last couple of days the talking heads on the local TV channel have changed how they report the news.  Or at least within the last couple of days I have noticed those changes.

Let's start with the phrase "a couple of".  When was the preposition "of" dropped?

"A couple of" has suddenly become "a couple".  As in "A couple of passers-by" has become "a couple passers-by".  Did the preposition "of" die and I missed the obituary?  Was it kidnapped and I missed the news story?  This new use grates on my ears.

We move to the noun "connection".  To my sudden awareness this has had a change of preposition.  Whereas criminal suspects, for example, used to be wanted "in connection with" whatever crime they were suspected of committing, they are now wanted "in connection to" the alleged event.

I'm going to stop with the phrasal verb "over to", an is "she went over to the neighbor's house".  This has been replaced with what sounds to me like a magic trick: "she went over the neighbor's house."

Has there been a sea change in the grammar and I just did not bother to notice the memo?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Grammar nazis wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:31:46 AM »
Has the station had a change in anchors or newswriters lately?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »
I'm going to stop with the phrasal verb "over to", an is "she went over to the neighbor's house".  This has been replaced with what sounds to me like a magic trick: "she went over the neighbor's house."

Ask them if a catapult was used.

What bugs me is verbification of nouns, with the notable exception of "beer me"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »
You're just being racist.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 09:23:27 AM »
Well, in Michigan we say "A couple, two, tree of..."  =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
The local fish rap around here is getting bad also.
My spelling, grammar, and pronunciation sucks. So If I notice it it must be really bad.

Another thing I have been noticing is when there is a story and there are "suspects" they never list the race except when they are white.
I'm not the only one because the comments people leave on the articles are saying the same.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:46:56 AM »
One that I see all the time, that isn't necessarily incorrect but just feels like 4th grade writing is:  "It happened ..."

=(

Somehow I thought that if you went to journalism school you might actually learn how to write in an interesting manner.

Active verbs - try them  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
Has the station had a change in anchors or newswriters lately?

Well, yes, it happened that  :P the newsreaders have changed.

No catapaults or other matter-moving implements were used, as far as I could discern, regarding the person who "went over" the neighbor's house.  Nor was there any physical attachment of the alleged suspected perpetrator to the crime they are suspected of allegedly perpetrating.  As best I could understand it, the passers-by were not physically joined together by any mechanical device; they merely walked past the scene of the alleged crime several minutes after it allegedly was perpetrated.

Has inny of this clar'fication he'p'd to provi'e a answer to mah query?  I axed a ser-us ques'ion and I'ma owed a ser-us anzer.  Wipe dat chicken greeze offen yur fing'rs and type me sumpt'n abow-t whut I needs to kno.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »
One that I see all the time, that isn't necessarily incorrect but just feels like 4th grade writing is:  "It happened ..."

=(

Somehow I thought that if you went to journalism school you might actually learn how to write in an interesting manner.

Active verbs - try them  :P

Newspapers are written at the 4th-5th grade level on purpose.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »
One that drives me completely insane is Sean Hannity's uses of the words "who" and "that". He'll say "people that drive cars..." and will in the  next sentence say "companies who make products". "Who" is for people, "that" is for inanimate things. He does it every single time.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
Within the last couple of days the talking heads on the local TV channel have changed how they report the news.  Or at least within the last couple of days I have noticed those changes.

Let's start with the phrase "a couple of".  When was the preposition "of" dropped?

"A couple of" has suddenly become "a couple".  As in "A couple of passers-by" has become "a couple passers-by".  Did the preposition "of" die and I missed the obituary?  Was it kidnapped and I missed the news story?  This new use grates on my ears.

We move to the noun "connection".  To my sudden awareness this has had a change of preposition.  Whereas criminal suspects, for example, used to be wanted "in connection with" whatever crime they were suspected of committing, they are now wanted "in connection to" the alleged event.

Has there been a sea change in the grammar and I just did not bother to notice the memo?

stay safe.

Not so much a sea change as a gradual erosion of the beach. Read any daily news rag or watch the evening news on any local station and you'll be assailed by many such examples.

I blame it on the Internet (and, thus by implication, on Al Gore.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »

The educational standards in this country have clearly dropped.  :P

When I notice grammer fails, dude, you just can't get worse then that...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
You're just being racist.
 =D

In the '80s KNX, the CBS radio west coast flagship, suffered a rash of freeways completioned, athletes competitioning, police suspicioning, and the like.  (At least the readers stumbled over the gaffs.)  A coworker nearly lost his job when the brass overheard him call it "affirmative action English."

Another custom we seem to be losing is matching subject and verb.  There's ;) people who wouldn't say "There is 52 cards in a standard deck," but have no problem with "There's 52..."  
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »
The educational standards in this country have clearly dropped.  :P

Worse than the failure, or worse than your noticing?  =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
Language evolves to suit the needs and desires of those who use it.

If it didn't we'll all still be speaking a hybrid of middle English, several scandanavian languages, and middle French.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »
Also, "couple" doesn't mean two anymore. It seems to mean two or three or a dozen.

Many people don't seem to know when they need "of" after the word "type." That type thing drives me nuts.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
Worse than the failure, or worse than your noticing?  =D

hey, if I can't tell the diffrents in actual spelling by the way the word sounds, then I'm going to be shaky on how to spell it, or even noticing how it's spelled. Desert, dessert and .... *expletive deleted*it .... One means dry, arid place, one means to leave in a not so nice way, and one is tasty treat after a good meal, is one hell on those of us who spell based on sound (yes, I know the big fancy word for that, but I can't spell it)

The point is, when someone like me can see mistakes, someone else has some real problems.

And mike, lingual evolution is one thing, but the "over house"/"over to house" thing isn't exactly a good direction for evolution. Language should aid communication, not screw it up.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »

A)  I have held a Grammar Nazi certificate since I was in 7th grade.

B)  Google "purity of English" for a fun quote.  It's one of my favorites.

Despite my appreciation of the "purity of English" problem, I nonetheless value grammar highly.

It happens that in my career field (software development) a solid grounding in one's native grammar is one of the most valuable assets to be had for aspirants to the field.

English is thorny and has a lot of pits, but the fruit is sweet when grammatically rendered.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »

Fiction for 4th and 5th graders is written better than that  =|

It makes me want to rewrite almost every article.  Just because you probably have all the facts wrong anyway doesn't mean you can't write well.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »

Grammar is important to George and I.

Everybody should mind their grammar.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
If we are going to go with evolution as a model, I guess I am bemoaning the increasing mutation rate and, especially, the diminishing selective pressure. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »

Don't bet the ranch ...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
Also, "couple" doesn't mean two anymore. It seems to mean two or three or a dozen.

Many people don't seem to know when they need "of" after the word "type." That type thing drives me nuts.

Then there are those who think "of" is part of a conditional verb tense, as in "I could of had a Clark bar."

People who get things done efficiently now seem to be "affective."

When did "gift" become a verb, and what happened to "give"? (Ditto for "loan" -- a "loan" is what transpires when one person "lends" something to another person.)

Let's not even start on the abuse of collective nouns ...

Last night my wife and I had dinner at a family restaurant. I lost count of how many times the waitress referred to us as "Guys" or "You guys." I suppose it would be useless to ask when women became part of the genus guys when even Geno Auriemma, the coach of the University of Connecticut women's basketball team, routinely refers to his team (which, naturally, is comprised entirely of women) as "these guys."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:32:28 PM by Hawkmoon »

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »
...is one hell on those of us who spell based on sound (yes, I know the big fancy word for that, but I can't spell it)

Oh, that's easy.  If you spell words based on sound, you are a Phoenician.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Fawn nicks  ;)