Author Topic: Jaw-droppingly good guitar playing  (Read 4008 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Jaw-droppingly good guitar playing
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 03:44:23 PM »
Not a problem. Thanks to you guys on getting me up to speed on that. God I HATED the hair band era. Still do actually. Imagine being bombarded first by DISCO and then by hair bands. It's amazing I have what's left of my sanity. shocked Tongue

Cheesy

Heh heh...I said "up to speed" ...no pun intended Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Greg Levy

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 05:28:13 PM »
Not from the Hair Band Era, but I think the best guitar playing I ever saw live was Buck Owens.  He was playing  in a version of Oklahoma here in Seattle, and at one point he played this guitar solo, and I am not sure I have seen fingers ever move so fast before.  WOW.

Dionysusignma, And here I thought I was the only one in the world who knew who Dream Theater was.  What a great band.  I think there problem was they are TOO good to make it as a huge name.  Their songs aren't short enough or basic enough to be radio friendly.

greg

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 07:45:01 PM »
Buckethead is a great example of someone who can really throw it out there when he needs to but doesn't overdo it.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 06:20:55 AM »
I dang near forgot. Stev Morse. An example of how more can actually BE more. I'll agree on Steve Vai. Around here he's considered one of "The Three Steves": Steve Morse, Steve Howe and Steve Vai. You could stick Stevie Ray in there but he's a Stevie not a steve. Tongue

Then there's Lindsey Buckingham of "Fleetwood Mac" fame.

The list could go on forever...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 08:55:17 AM »
I gotta say...

I never gave him props until recently, but Lindsey Buckingham has got MAJOR chops.  The guy can play.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 12:32:37 PM »
I think their problem is they are TOO good to make it as a huge name.  Their songs aren't short enough, or basic enough, to be radio-friendly.
I think so too.  To date, I think TooL is the only band played often on the radio that can diverge from 4/4 or 6/8 on a regular basis.

One thing I've always wanted to see was Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory made into a real movie musical, but without James LaBrie singing every part.  Guy's good, but doesn't quite cut it as a female vocalist. Tongue

Besides, who says speed isn't soulful?  If you were to slow down a good amount of H. Li's playing, or go to 0min 29sec on the Dragonforce solo I posted, you get something that reminds me a ton of Slash from Guns N Roses... who, in my opinion, is probably one of THE BEST soulful guitar players out there.  Just listen to November Rain, Estranged, or Don't Cry(in that order) and you'll know what I mean.

As long as a guitar player (who solos or does lead lines) plays for the song itself, and not to show off, then that's real skill.  That's why I don't like a lot of Metallica's early solos or a lot of Pantera (excluding the first part of the solo for Cemetary Gates)--they do nothing to advance the song. Dragonforce asks for speed and frenetic emotion, and they get it.  Tom Petty's Mary Jane's Last Dance calls for a simple comment of a solo, and that's what you hear.

What I can't stand are bands like Cradle of Filth.  They have talent, but they use it so horribly.  It'd be like using an Aston Martin to haul manure. Sad
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 01:22:44 PM »
I think TooL is the only band played often on the radio that can diverge from 4/4 or 6/8 on a regular basis.
My bud who plays all the notes is VERY fond of things like 5/7 time. A little tough to count out when you're listening. shocked

Cheesy

...has left the building.

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2006, 02:26:16 PM »
Quote from: Dionysusigma
I think their problem is they are TOO good to make it as a huge name.  Their songs aren't short enough, or basic enough, to be radio-friendly.
I think so too.  To date, I think TooL is the only band played often on the radio that can diverge from 4/4 or 6/8 on a regular basis.

One thing I've always wanted to see was Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory made into a real movie musical, but without James LaBrie singing every part.  Guy's good, but doesn't quite cut it as a female vocalist. Tongue

Besides, who says speed isn't soulful?  If you were to slow down a good amount of H. Li's playing, or go to 0min 29sec on the Dragonforce solo I posted, you get something that reminds me a ton of Slash from Guns N Roses... who, in my opinion, is probably one of THE BEST soulful guitar players out there.  Just listen to November Rain, Estranged, or Don't Cry(in that order) and you'll know what I mean.

As long as a guitar player (who solos or does lead lines) plays for the song itself, and not to show off, then that's real skill.  That's why I don't like a lot of Metallica's early solos or a lot of Pantera (excluding the first part of the solo for Cemetary Gates)--they do nothing to advance the song. Dragonforce asks for speed and frenetic emotion, and they get it.  Tom Petty's Mary Jane's Last Dance calls for a simple comment of a solo, and that's what you hear.

What I can't stand are bands like Cradle of Filth.  They have talent, but they use it so horribly.  It'd be like using an Aston Martin to haul manure. Sad
Nothing like a little 11/4 to get the blood flowing... Tongue Slash does indeed put excellent solos into songs. I can really hear his influence in the "Seize the Day" solo by Avenged Sevenfold. Fast is all good in the hood, but like others have said, if it is out of place, it is just fret w**king. Speed exercises can be fun and dangerous at the same time; you can get stuck playing patterns instead of exploring.   The Dragon Force solo you posted was AWESOME. It was virtuosity plus it fit the song perfectly.  

Lo.Com.Denom- Don't worry bro, I'm as nice to my hands as I can be Wink

natedog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2006, 08:11:42 PM »
On the subject of emotional playing, Steve Lukather takes the cake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVsJmCz3NU

Also, any fan of music will appreciate this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmqN0elDQ0&search=bb%20king

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2006, 09:49:01 AM »
If you ever run across the twelve-string work by Leo Kottke, it's as good as anybody's.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2006, 10:25:19 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
If you ever run across the twelve-string work by Leo Kottke, it's as good as anybody's.

Art
Speaking as one who has tried to play several of his works many times (I can just pluck out a passable version of Crow River Waltz, and that's one of his really easy pieces), I can say it's not as good as anybody's. It's in a stellar league all by itself.
Andy

...has left the building.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2006, 01:34:44 PM »
My old classical guitar teacher pretty much ruined B.B. King for me. I love the way he plays...LOVE it, but my teacher pointed out that he has only one speed of vibrato and now it tends to drive me nuts. My teacher's contention is that the vibrato should move in time to the music, otherwise it is just sloppy and nervous. Whether you agree with that or not, we can all agree that B.B., while an amazing player with insane phrasing, does only have one type of vibrato.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2006, 01:37:27 PM »
I first heard Kottke over the sound system at the old Armadillo World Headquarters, back in the '70s.  "Who's that?" was my first question to Eddie Wilson, the owner.  I got the LP the next day.

Kottke performed at UT, somewhere around 1980, which was a must-hear concert.  I've since found an extended-play casette tape, but not a CD as yet.

Gotta admit, though, he wasn't lying when he said his voice sounds like ducks farting on a foggy day...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2006, 02:46:06 PM »
Went to youtube to look for Leo Kottke, and instead found something I saw a few weeks back and had tried to find when this thread cropped up...

Meet Erik Mongrain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k&search=kottke
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2006, 04:31:45 PM »
Quote from: Iain
Went to youtube to look for Leo Kottke, and instead found something I saw a few weeks back and had tried to find when this thread cropped up...

Meet Erik Mongrain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k&search=kottke
Really cool.
Andy