Author Topic: Gore Sells Currents TV to Al-Jazeera  (Read 4007 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Gore Sells Currents TV to Al-Jazeera
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:20 AM »
For $100 million. They got way ripped off. I can't believe Gore still has such devout fans among the more left-leaning. The guy is only about money in every "cause" he promotes.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/01/03/al-gore-nets-reported-100-million-in-sale-current-tv-to-al-jazeera/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Gore Sells Currents TV to Al-Jazeera
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
I see Time Warner cable dropped Current TV like a brick after the sale.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »
I actually really liked watching Current TV. Back when I was living in South Dakota I would watch it quite often.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
They supposedly paid $500 million.  Gore walked away with $100 million.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »

Nice PR sourcing coup.  And they picked it up for cheap.

Imagine:  the ethnic Arab expats and various Muslim communities will now have access to "unfiltered home news" via whichever cable outfit carries that channel.

Current TV has crap ratings.  As the demographic of viewers changes, the content will change (or perhaps vice versa), and the viewership will increase, bringing up the ratings, and so on.

Over time, the channel will morph into an English language "legitimate" conduit for whatever content is "deemed appropriate" for that demographic, and I think it's probably not extreme to imagine that there will be a significant propaganda component.

If Gore has retained any part of the ownership, he will see increasing revenues as the viewership grows.

And the "target demographic" won't have to fret about their "home news" being filtered by American news organs.

One of my "friends" was crowing about the addition of another "legitimate" news source to counter the extreme bias of "Faux News" and restoring balance to the Force as it relates to news.

I was not -- and am not -- as sanguine about it as he is.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »
. . . One of my "friends" was crowing about the addition of another "legitimate" news source to counter the extreme bias of "Faux News" and restoring balance to the Force as it relates to news . . .
The problem for lefties is information propaganda saturation.

With the left already having ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Sun-Times, Minneapolis Star Tribune, etc., there's only so much tripe truth they have time to watch or read; someone watching Al-Jazeera for their alleged "news" is going to be switching from one of the other networks, not watching it in addition to what they're watching now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »
Sooooo, is this an upgrade for Current TV or a downgrade for Al Jazeera?    =D  I also heard that they pushed to get the deal done before 01 January to avoid paying higher taxes.  Not sure if that is true or not.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 05:32:22 PM »
Wow! Al "Jazeera" Gore accepted dirty, global warming, polar bear killing oil money?

Color me shocked.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
Wow! Al "Jazeera" Gore accepted dirty, global warming, polar bear killing oil money?

Color me shocked.

And apparently Glenn Beck had put an offer in, but Gore refused to sell to him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
I was not -- and am not -- as sanguine about it as he is.

It also means "Bloody".  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:13:04 PM »
Sounds more like a pay-off or bribe to me...with something tangible offered in turn.
Although, I do visit the AJ website sometimes and it's not too bad. I doubt there exists an international news outlet that isn't somewhat biased against the US...at least from our perspective. I'd check it out at least once.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:17:58 PM »
Probably be less biased than the MSM we have now...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:39 PM »

Although, I do visit the AJ website sometimes and it's not too bad. I doubt there exists an international news outlet that isn't somewhat biased against the US...at least from our perspective.

I would submit they are often less biased against the US, or at least closer to unbiased than our own news networks. I often find myself on the Russian Times, Pravda, and occasionally Al-Jazeera websites. Pravda in fact, had a very good opinion piece this last week on protecting gun rights in the US that I have to remember to post when Politics opens back up.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
I would submit they are often less biased against the US, or at least closer to unbiased than our own news networks. I often find myself on the Russian Times, Pravda, and occasionally Al-Jazeera websites. Pravda in fact, had a very good opinion piece this last week on protecting gun rights in the US that I have to remember to post when Politics opens back up.

yup  sad but true
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »

This.

Russia Today is one of my daily reads.  

I know nicknames are verboten here,  but Al-Gor pretty much wrote itself...

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
As I understand it, the deal is for $500 million of which $100 million goes directly to Algore.  It's great for a certain political party as now they can collect massive foreign contributions from an American company.    It is also great for Al Jazeera as now they have a unfiltered public national outlet for whatever propaganda they desire to distribute.  It remains to be seen how many cable companies carry the channel, but if they pay the cable companies to air them, I believe they will.  Greed.

Islamists are here for the long haul and as long as they have middle east oil money behind them, they can try to influence our nation and it laws.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »
This.

Russia Today is one of my daily reads.  

I know nicknames are verboten here,  but Al-Gor pretty much wrote itself...

I have to give props to KGbsquirrel on RT. I think it was him that posted a link to a stroy by them a good while back and that's when I first discovered them.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 01:08:04 AM »
I have to give props to KGbsquirrel on RT. I think it was him that posted a link to a stroy by them a good while back and that's when I first discovered them.

Um-hmm. KGBsquirrel. Spreading Russian Propaganda.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 01:55:40 AM »
I actually really liked watching Current TV. Back when I was living in South Dakota I would watch it quite often.

You know, just the other day I was wondering if the Navy had beaten the Communist-sympathizer streak out of you. Guess not ;)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:19 AM »
You know, just the other day I was wondering if the Navy had beaten the Communist-sympathizer streak out of you. Guess not ;)

:P Am I still known for that?  :lol: In the beginning I considered myself an anarchist/commy sympathizer. That ended a few years ago. I'm really liking Rothbard now.  =D
I was into Current TV during my commy years though. But it wasn't really spewing out much left leaning stuff. If I remember correctly there was even a firearms friendly episode.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 08:15:14 AM »
Seems odd that a man who received the Nobel Peace Prize would sell his stake to the mouthpiece for a bloodthirsty movement that is bent on wiping America and Israel off the map.

Oh, wait, silly me. They share his hatred of American values. Of course he'd sell to them!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »
I was into Current TV during my commy years though. But it wasn't really spewing out much left leaning stuff. If I remember correctly there was even a firearms friendly episode.
Propaganda that you register as true is less remarkable.  Many people who agree with what is being said can watch Bill Mahr, Bill O'Reilly, Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity and say with heartfelt belief "What bias?"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »

Al-Jazeera is pretty decent, as news services go. Above say, Fox or NBC definitely. Best of the ME news sources. Just ignore anything it says about Qatar or Saudi Arabia. Pravda, RT, etc are pretty decent. Just discount what they say about Putin. CNN can sometimes be, just ignore what it says about US politics. BBC can be as well, just ignore anything it says about US-UK politics.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
Geraldo Rivera commented on Gore's selling Current TV on the morning Fox today.  He ran into Gore and Al Frankin before Frankin won his senate seat.  Gore said something condesending about his "ending up" at Fox.  Geraldo said Gore is a hypocrite.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »
Seems odd that a man who received the Nobel Peace Prize would sell his stake to the mouthpiece for a bloodthirsty movement that is bent on wiping America and Israel off the map.  . . .
In some years, hatred of American values seems to have been the criterion for winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Some examples:

1994 - Yassir Arafat
2001 - the U.N.
2001 - Jimmy Carter
2004 - Wangari Maathai (claimed AIDS was created by the West to decimate Africa)
2007 - Al Gore
2009 - Obama
2012 - The European Union
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain