Author Topic: Hollow-ground screwdriver suggestions?  (Read 4016 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Hollow-ground screwdriver suggestions?
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »

I'm considering getting a set.  Any particular brands I should look for or avoid?  Thanks.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Hollow-ground screwdriver suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:29:01 PM »
I'm also shopping for a set, or maybe bits to fit my Kobalt handles...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »
I've got a set from Brownell's that I like.  Included with the set was a stone for re-grinding, if/when needed.

Also have a set of 1/4" hex-bits.  Can't remember where they came from, but I'd bet on Brownell's.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
I'm considering getting a set.  Any particular brands I should look for or avoid?  Thanks.

For gunsmithing?  I have a set of Forster screwdrivers that seem well made.  Honestly haven't used them much.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:24:18 AM »
For gunsmithing? No real torque? Any of the Brownells or Midway sets with decent reviews.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 07:20:01 AM »
I got this set from Harbor Freight and whenever I use it, I seem to have to use one size smaller than the screw slot actually is, leading to burring of the screw slot if one is not careful.

Not recommended.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »
If you are talking about a gunsmithing screw driver set, I got a Wheeler set from MidwayUSA.  I don't know if it is great or not, but so far it has done well.  There is always a bit that fits tight in any screw I have come across so far.  I am happy to have it.  However, I only use it occasionally tinkering around.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »
I got this set from Harbor Freight and whenever I use it, I seem to have to use one size smaller than the screw slot actually is, leading to burring of the screw slot if one is not careful.

Not recommended.

Given they don't work well, that may be a cheap (insert country here) knockoff of a set that looks just like that (except in a red box) that I got from Brownell's and am very happy with.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
I bought a set of B-square screwdrivers from the local Fleet Farm about a decade ago. They cost me about $25 at the time and are still in use.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
Brimic, is it the set in the gray plastic case?   If so, I've got the same set.   The only issue I have with it is the strength of the smallest bits.  I've bent the tip of the smallest flat screwdriver.   But it's still usable.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »
If you are talking about a gunsmithing screw driver set, I got a Wheeler set from MidwayUSA. I don't know if it is great or not, but so far it has done well.  There is always a bit that fits tight in any screw I have come across so far.  I am happy to have it.  However, I only use it occasionally tinkering around.
I've got this set too . . . it's not something I use every day, but the times I HAVE needed a close-fitting screwdriver, it's worked exactly the way its supposed to without the bit breaking or bending; so far, so good.

Here's a picture & some manufacturer's information: (i.e., ad copy.)  http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/wheeler-engineering/catalog.asp?product=Professional-Gunsmith-Screwdriver-Set-89-pc
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »
I've got this set too . . . it's not something I use every day, but the times I HAVE needed a close-fitting screwdriver, it's worked exactly the way its supposed to without the bit breaking or bending; so far, so good.

Here's a picture & some manufacturer's information: (i.e., ad copy.)  http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/wheeler-engineering/catalog.asp?product=Professional-Gunsmith-Screwdriver-Set-89-pc

I saw that set on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-89-Piece-Deluxe-Gunsmithing-Screwdriver/product-reviews/B001C63M7O/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Reviews have been decidedly mixed.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »
The Amazon reviews are SO different I have to wonder whether or not they've been using the same supplier/subcontractor all along.

I bought mine "on sale" at Sportsman's Warehouse for about 1/2 the list price and like I wrote, so far so good; quality and strength of the bits seems better than a cheap "Chapman" gunsmithing screwdriver set I won as a door prize. In fact, my only complaint is that the case doesn't hold the handles/extensions very securely - tip or tilt it, and they tend to rattle around some.

(One of the Amazon reviewers mentioned Wheeler's FAT torque wrench: now that is an item I've read a lot of negative reviews about.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »

Not recommended.

Maybe you're supposed to sharpen them before use?  That way you can fit the driver to the specific screwslot.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 05:42:47 PM »
Brimic, is it the set in the gray plastic case?   If so, I've got the same set.   The only issue I have with it is the strength of the smallest bits.  I've bent the tip of the smallest flat screwdriver.   But it's still usable.

Yes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
Maybe you're supposed to sharpen them before use?  That way you can fit the driver to the specific screwslot.

If it's an old, expensive, or important gun, that's the only way it's done. Unless the bit is a 100% perfect fit.
I promise not to duck.