Author Topic: Job interview and thank you note  (Read 4009 times)

client32

• friend
Job interview and thank you note
« on: October 18, 2006, 06:59:20 AM »
Just curious how many people here send a thank you note after an interview.  Reading on the internet makes it sound as though that is often a decision maker for hiring manager.  Therefore, I sent one for an interview I had earlier this week.

So ....

Who all has sent a thank you note and how did work?

Who all has recieved thank you notes and did/would it effect your decision?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 07:48:47 AM »
A well-done (short, neat, correct, and to the point) thank-you note is one of those things that can't hurt, and MAY help, you land that job.

If nothing else, it reminds the interviewer that they met with you, and it may provide a little favorable name recognition.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 09:11:34 AM »
If I want to work there, I'll send a thank you note.

I can't count the number of job interviews I have been to where I knew that I didn't want this job because of the attitude of the interviewers or how the people interacted with each other at the company while I was waiting for the interview in the office.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:04:20 AM »
A thank you note, sounds like a darn good idea. I gotta laugh at charby's comment. I once interviewed at a place where sister and brother got into a screaming match right in front of me, first time I met them. Nope, didn't work there.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 10:07:53 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
A thank you note, sounds like a darn good idea. I gotta laugh at charby's comment. I once interviewed at a place where sister and brother got into a screaming match right in front of me, first time I met them. Nope, didn't work there.
Mine is too many bitchy queen bee type head secretaries/admin assistants. If that is what I first encounter then I will not work there. I have learned from the past if you aren't on their team then your time as an employee there will suck.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Chris

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:25:59 AM »
Twelve years ago, when I interviewed at teh prosecutor's office, i did not send a tank you note, but we scheduled a second interview that day.  And I was offered the job at the second interview.  The new job (magistrate), i was offered the position at the interview.

The whole idea of the thank you note is to favorably remind the interviewer of who you were, and try to bump yourself up on the list through a kind act.  I would advise doing so these days, especially as Charby said, if you want the job.  Couldn't hurt.

client32

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 10:31:05 AM »
More tales from places you don't want to work.

Once had an interview with a small IT shop, knew my salary requirements and was going to pay no where near them.  Got to the interview, lady told me about half way through the interview that she couldn't pay what I was asking.  Then started to talk about a program (script) that a former employee had written for them that was acting up.  She thought she could get me to do it for free in the interview.  Hindsight, should have either walked out of the office, or offered to fix problem for a sum where I felt I wasn't wasting my time.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 10:47:41 AM »
tails?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 10:52:55 AM »
When I interviewed people, the decision to hire, or not, was based on information gleaned from the application and the interview.  A thank-you note would have no influence on me.
Don

client32

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 12:01:30 PM »
Quote from: fistful
tails?
Thanks again.

note to self:  start proof reading posts before fistful gets a chance to look at them

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 03:52:32 PM »
I always have. Curiously, when I was on the other side of the desk, virtually no one ever did.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 06:46:19 PM »
If it's a place I want to work at, I definitely send a hand written note ASAP. It's reminds the interviewer of me, and it let's them know I condsidered their time valuable. I have even had employers tell me that when it got down to the final two candidates, I got the job because of my note.

If I am the interviewer I consider the qualifications first. Then after I cull out the ones that don't fit, I start trying to narrow down the second interview group. A note will help you get on that list.

Why?

See El T's thread: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=4684

pbhome71

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 07:40:30 PM »
I got my first job because of my thank you note. Smiley

-Pat

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 06:41:12 AM »
Then started to talk about a program (script) that a former employee had written for them that was acting up.  She thought she could get me to do it for free in the interview.
LOL; that kind of thing has happened to me many times.

I'm a biomedical engineer and have been the chief engineer at quite a few start-ups. Seems like every time I would interview at a start-up, the founder would try to get me to give free design advice.

I would just respond with something like: "There are a few ways to solve that problem, and I would be happy to review those solutions with you on my first day of employment - if we can come to terms, of course."

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.