Author Topic: Pondering the new mid-size trucks  (Read 4009 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Pondering the new mid-size trucks
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »
Glad to see an MPG improvement happening. The first DPFs on the Super Duties was an enormous hit. Guys who lived where they could delete it were getting 5MPG better than the rest of us, and that was normal driving, not counting the ridiculous MPG hit you take every time the DPF activates. The increased full consumption on the 08-10s more than counteracts any hippy carbon savings from the DPF.

Believe me the MPG hit is by far the least of your worries with the 6.4.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »
The increased full consumption on the 08-10s more than counteracts any hippy carbon savings from the DPF.

The hippies aren't looking to 'save carbon' with the DPF.  Diesel Particulate Filters are supposed to filter out the small particles that tend to give people lung cancer.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 07:33:19 PM »
Believe me the MPG hit is by far the least of your worries with the 6.4.

You're just filled with sunshine. :P
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:16 PM »
Tier 4 emissions equipment means that there is a noticeable reliability degradation plus somewhat decreased MPG (although that part is being countered now somewhat) and increased maintenance costs. You can also gain performance increases with the same tunes that delete the emissions equipment. In time the reliability should get better (so long as makers have time to work out the bugs instead of having to deal with yet more emissions regs being thrown on them) but right now it's still a problem.

So like the 1980's gas engines with their throw all the emission stuff at it. Electronic feedback carburetors should give everyone the willies.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 10:20:05 PM »
In a way yes.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 10:18:27 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/08/26/ford-ranger-pickup-truck-us/32387379/

Ford is rethinking bringing the Ranger to the US.  The world model that was designed in Australia and built in Thailand.

I am still going to be looking at the new Tacoma, though.  I am waiting for my house to sell and for the Tacomas to hit the supply chain.  If after a few months I see one that I like, I can just pay cash for it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/08/26/ford-ranger-pickup-truck-us/32387379/

Ford is rethinking bringing the Ranger to the US.  The world model that was designed in Australia and built in Thailand.

I am still going to be looking at the new Tacoma, though.  I am waiting for my house to sell and for the Tacomas to hit the supply chain.  If after a few months I see one that I like, I can just pay cash for it.

Okay, JR  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »
Okay, JR  ;)

The realtor said my house would sell in a week, possibly with multiple offers. We are going on two weeks now, and not a single offer and I have dropped the price $ 10K.  I am not sure what is going on with this.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »
The realtor said my house would sell in a week, possibly with multiple offers. We are going on two weeks now, and not a single offer and I have dropped the price $ 10K.  I am not sure what is going on with this.

We had our house listed for over a year without selling, then switched realtors and sold it within a month.  Of course, a few years later the mythical coal mine finally opened and real estate prices shot up  :facepalm:

You do recall that old TV ad where Larry Hagman says "Nope, I paid cash" - right ???   :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »
Update on two key issues relevant to this thread:

My house sold after five weeks on the market.  I had to lower the asking price $ 15 K from the original listing.  It should close in late October.  This will give me cash to put towards the new house mortgage and replenishing my savings account, to include paying cash for a new truck.  I wonder what the trade in value will be for a 2005 Ford Escape and 2010 Kia Soul. 

My local Toyota dealer is getting their first 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport crew cab short bed 4x4 in the next few days.  I have asked them to call me when it gets in so I can drive it.  I went to the Toyota website and built a truck, and this is close to the configuration I would be looking for.  I might talk to the sales guy about the lead time to have one built.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »
Well, the 2015 GMC Canyon SLT double-cab shortbed 4x4 is pretty nice.  Definitely more upscale than the Colorado I was also looking at.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »
When I was in Asia last month I got to drive a 4wd, diesel, 2015 Ranger.

I'd kick a puppy to be able to buy that truck.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »
When I was in Asia last month I got to drive a 4wd, diesel, 2015 Ranger.

I'd kick a puppy to be able to buy that truck.
cute puppy or goofy "what the hell spawned you" puppy?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 02:48:20 PM »
So far the 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport double cab 4x4 is leading the pack.  Just came back from a looksee and test drive.