Author Topic: FLASH This Just In--DoJ considering closing down bATFE  (Read 3656 times)

Waitone

• friend
FLASH This Just In--DoJ considering closing down bATFE
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »
http://townhall.com/columnists/katiepavlich/2011/09/30/bombshell_doj_considering_elimination_of_atf/page/full/

Elimination of bATFE is a well considered action for a number of reasons. . . . . but not until we get to the bottom of Fast and Furious (aka Project Gunwalker et al).

Do ya thimk this may be a coverup?  Odds on republicans doing the stupid thing?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: FLASH This Just In--DoJ considering closing down bATFE
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »
It's just smoke and mirrors.  Only reason the D's would do that is to enable burying bodies hidden in that agency.  And they'd never really close it down.  It would just get re-org'd into another agency or three.  And the only purpose of doing that would be make it easier to implement new regulations with greater difficulty to make the .gov accountable for said regulations.
Formerly sumpnz

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:17:18 PM »
They can move it to the Ministry of Peace in the DHS.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »
http://townhall.com/columnists/katiepavlich/2011/09/30/bombshell_doj_considering_elimination_of_atf/page/full/

Elimination of bATFE is a well considered action for a number of reasons. . . . . but not until we get to the bottom of Fast and Furious (aka Project Gunwalker et al).

Do ya thimk this may be a coverup? 

The whole NFA34/CGA68 system won't be going away.  Someone else would be handling enforcement.

Odds on republicans doing the stupid thing?

Count on it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
Are we sure this wasn't a reprint from The Onion? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
Agreed on the smoke and mirrors.

All the agents, and managers, and bureaucracy that is part of the ATF will just get transferred to the FBI... or even worse... to a new sub-branch of DHS.

Probably end up with a Firearms/Explosives branch in DHS that wants to treat every gun purchase as a candidate for terrorist activity.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
Agreed on the smoke and mirrors.

All the agents, and managers, and bureaucracy that is part of the ATF will just get transferred to the FBI... or even worse... to a new sub-branch of DHS.

Probably end up with a Firearms/Explosives branch in DHS that wants to treat every gun purchase as a candidate for terrorist activity.

I don't know if eliminating the BATFE is a great idea.  We've been able to keep the BATFE from having an actual director since 2006.  Better a weak and disorganized adversity than a strong and relatively well organized adversity.   

FBI would be very hard to counter if they pulled sneaky underhanded tactics.  I know from personal experience the FBI has a more institutional sense of ethics, or perhaps just a longer history that allows them to realize one has to be subtle to get away with sneaky underhanded tactics.  So likely the sneaky underhanded actions would be more rare, but harder to counter.

DHS?  Oy.  They're the only branch of the government more incompetent and flatly hostile to Americans than BATFE.  They're under the institutional perception that everyone hates them for doing what is necessary in keeping the country safe.  It leads to a generally sullen mildly spiteful environment. 

Honestly, I'd rather we kept the BATFE around, slash their budget, slash their field personnel, refuse to let them have a director, and retract whatever discretionary powers we can from their remaining personnel.  As I said, better a weak adversity that we know and already have on the ropes.  Doing this to the FBI or DHS would be nearly impossible, and weakening the FBI might actually endanger the country rather than empowering it as we do by weakening the BATFE. 

Weakening the DHS would probably be safer for Americans, though.  They haven't caught many terrorists, yet they've made life a living hell for many Americans.  Call me funny, but I see DHS as a more long term threat to the United States than terrorism.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
Yeah, really, DHS would be the nightmare scenario.

And I think FBI would be a wash. They'd be more professional and probably less spiteful in the day-to-day issues of gun regulation, but I agree, that if/when they did decide to screw over a gunstore, or whoever, they'd be even harder to fight.
I promise not to duck.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:05 PM »
If I was the director of the FBI I would politely decline the opportunity to take over the functions of the AFT.  They (the FBI) have more important things to do.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 10:15:25 PM »
The fun part would be giving all the tax enforcement back to the IRS. $50/pack cigs, moonshine would be all you could afford and your form 4 would get lost....forever.

On the gun purchase screening/law enforcement end I'm sure that state police could handle 90% of it and the other 10% would be the FBI for gun trafficking, really bad rare stuff.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 01:50:49 AM »
If I was the director of the FBI I would politely decline the opportunity to take over the functions of the AFT. 

Of course, that could mean resigning.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 02:14:23 AM »
No, it would only be worse.   The FBI would be more efficient/effective at enforcement, and the Treasury folks would screw up your paperwork six ways to Sunday and you'd have to file twelve amended forms to get a gun.

If they are going to "close it down", then "Close It Down", de-funded and delete all the laws, regs, etc. that they enforced.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »
The FBI would be more efficient/effective at enforcement

That could be both good and bad.
The FBI runs the NICS system for background checks, which the ATF never follows up on if a known violent felon attempts a purchase.
We might get prosecution of Bloombergs minions who attempt illegal purchases as well.

The ATF is disorganized and corrupt, but I never liked their arbitrary enforcement of laws.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama