Author Topic: The Science is Settled: You’re Just Too Stupid to Live Through an Anthrax Attack  (Read 1099 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/128987/
http://volokh.com/2011/10/02/the-science-is-settled-youre-just-too-stupid-to-live/

"The Institute of Medicine, part of the National Academy of Sciences, has studied the problem of how to distribute antibiotics in the event of an anthrax attack.  It’s a big problem, because, as the study confirms, the antibiotics have to be in people’s hands (mouths, really) within 48 hours of an attack...

This is the National Academy of Sciences, of course, so they’ve got scientific evidence of our stupidity.  Like, for example, the Center for Disease Control gave more than four thousand people in St. Louis special antibiotic medkits to hold for an emergency.  Months later, they went back and collected them.  They counted the people who had engaged in “inappropriate use in routine settings.” And they found, uh, four.  Not four percent, four people.  That’s one-tenth of one percent, last time I looked...

Apparently we weren’t as dumb as the National Academy of Sciences would like to think, so they declared that this science wasn’t settled, in fact it wasn’t even worth thinking about...

Once all that nasty unpredictable science was out of the way, the National Academy of Sciences was free to say what it wanted to say all along:  No antibiotics for you."

Kinda expected, since it was gov't drones who wrote the study.

But, never fear!  SOME folks are trusted to store and not abuse antibiotics at a 0.1% rate: government workers and their families!  

I bet you never saw that one coming.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
Does anybody know if Cephalexin is effective against Anthrax?  I can't find any info (because it's not the approved treatment antibiotic.)  It looks like it should be.  I have quite a few 500mg veterinary RX capsules left over from post-op and treating various ailments in dog for the past few years.  Probably 30 or more capsules all total.

A funny story: during the great anthrax panic 10 or 11 years ago, I had a cold-->bronchitis-->pneumonia and had great difficulty finding a doc to prescribe me an antibiotic.  They just dismissed me without even doing an exam.  I had to goto the farm store and buy chicken tetracycline and treat myself.  (it didnt work well because although I calculated the dosage OK I picked the only tetracycline formula that is not very effective against mycoplama.  I got better then it came back again while I was still taking the TC)  Eventually I was so sick they had to take me seriously and I got the Zithromax I needed.  I think it helped that I went in saying "I think I have tuberculosis" and actually had some of the symptoms, so they had to prove that I didnt or else fill out all kinds of paperwork.  The whole ordeal lasted about 6 months; it should have lasted about 2 or 3 weeks at the most.

I wonder if they were under some orders from the hospital or the CDC to not prescribe antibiotics and I just waited them out?

"It's good, though..."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"