Author Topic: A good read: The Secret History of Guns in The Atlantic Monthy September 2011  (Read 1194 times)

Chuck Dye

• friend
Not so secret if a magazine author found the points made, but worth reviewing  The NRA bashers will love parts, worshipers of Saint Ronnie will hate parts.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/09/the-secret-history-of-guns/8608/

Enjoy!
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Hmmmmmm.... the saints were sinners and the sinners, saints.
Reminds me of the addage; "hypocrisy is the tribute virtue pays to vice."

I never thought the right of the states to maintain a militia contradicted the individual interpretation of the 2A, but the right of the states to maintain a militia is maintained within the body of the Constitution, thus rendering the "collective rights" interpretation of the 2A in error.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Nice read. Thanks for posting it.

Chuck Dye

• friend
Hmmm...

A human endeavor turns out to be a multifaceted process.  Who'd athunk it?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Ned Hamford

• friend
The world I live in is affected by events that occurred well before my own birth?  In a culturally non lineal way!?!?  :O
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

drewtam

• friend
APS self selects for engaged political thinkers.

This piece is much more powerful in convincing the half engaged voter not to be "tribal". To force them to realise that Rs and Ds have changed platforms consistently with the prevailing currents of popular opinion. Each subject needs to be considered on the merits (not just guns) and NOT based on whether the party they are loyal to supports or resists it.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

slingshot

• friend
Very interesting article.  I know there is a lot of truth embedded in this article in the way it is framed.  Thank you for posting it.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)