Author Topic: Computer virus hits military drone program  (Read 1193 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Computer virus hits military drone program
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/report-computer-virus-hits-military-drone-program-183354632.html

A computer virus that captures the strokes on a keyboard has infected networks used by pilots who control U.S. Air Force drones flown on the warfront, according to a published report.
The Air Force said in a statement it doesn't discuss threats to its computer networks because it can help hackers refine their tactics.
Snort! There is the understatement of the year - the hackers have already figured your system out!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Computer virus hits military drone program
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:23:29 AM »
Smells like someone screwed the eff up big time. Those systems, as I understand it, are supposed to be physically isolated from extraneous connections. Perhaps a stuxnet'esque style attack, infecting outwardly connected systems and thus transportable media known to be in use in those facilities in the hope that some putz plugs said media into one of the isolated systems?

That, or the story is completely misleading and the flight control computers/sat. networks are not what were actually infected, but was really just one of the unclas computers plugged into the net. :P

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:13:10 AM »
That, or the story is completely misleading and the flight control computers/sat. networks are not what were actually infected, but was really just one of the unclas computers plugged into the net. :P

Read the wording again: "A computer virus that captures the strokes on a keyboard has infected networks used by pilots who control U.S. Air Force drones flown on the warfront, according to a published report."

Could be the communal box in the break room.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »
Word i'm hearing from someone who is kinda in the know is that it's actually some of the AF's own security software that somehow made it onto the wrong systems.

Lulz
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »
drone boyz should stay off /k
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »
rules one and two, newfag
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »
Word i'm hearing from someone who is kinda in the know is that it's actually some of the AF's own security software that somehow made it onto the wrong systems.

Lulz

If it was NMCI, the drones would have fallen out of the sky the moment they hooked up.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »
RTDE aint much better. Luckily my system is only on RTDE for the very last little leg before teh interwebz
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog