Author Topic: Like this will help  (Read 604 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Like this will help
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:13:26 AM »

It doesn't provide approx sizes, nor tells what their ranges/areas are. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: Like this will help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:37:17 AM »
Last time I read anything on recluse bites, about your best hope was to denature the venom by running direct current through it...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »
People can react differently to Brown Recluse bites. I've been nailed by the little SOBs 3 times. The first two were on my inner thighs just above the knee, it looked like it crawled in bed with me and got squished between my legs and bit me as a last dying act, only knew it was a spider bite because the body was still easily ID'd as a brown recluse. Swelling in an area about the diameter of a grapefruit on both legs, no tissue necrosis or lasting effects. the 3rd bite was on hte back of my leg just below the calf muscle. That one was a little worse with a small amount of tissue necrosis, ended up with a pencil eraser sized wound that eventually healed but I still have a scar that is mostly just a very dark spot on the back of the leg.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
http://jabfm.org/content/17/5/347.full

Next Section
Abstract

Background: Treatment of brown recluse spider bites remains controversial; there are multiple options but little evidence of their effectiveness.

Methods: Over a 5-year period, family physicians enrolled consecutive patients with suspected brown recluse spider bites. Usual care was provided based on physician preferences. Topical nitroglycerine patches and vitamin C tablets were provided at no cost for those who wished to use them. Baseline data were collected, and patients were followed-up weekly until healing occurred. Outcome measures included time to healing and occurrence of scarring. Regression methods were used to evaluate the impact of the 4 main treatment approaches (corticosteroids, dapsone, topical nitroglycerine, and high-dose vitamin C) after controlling for bite severity and other predictors.

Results: Two hundred and sixty-two patients were enrolled; outcomes were available for 189. The median healing time was 17 days. Only 21% had permanent scarring. One hundred seventy-four received a single treatment modality. Among this group, 12 different modalities were used. After controlling for other variables, predictors of more rapid healing included lower severity level, less erythema, and less necrosis at time of presentation, younger age, no diabetes, and earlier medical attention. Systemic corticosteroids and dapsone were associated with slower healing. Predictors of scarring were higher severity, presence of necrosis, and diabetes. Dapsone was associated with an increased probability of scarring.

Conclusions: We found no evidence that commonly used treatment approaches reduced healing time or the likelihood of scarring in suspected brown recluse spider bites.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"