Author Topic: Need a printer (non-photo).  (Read 794 times)

zahc

• friend
Need a printer (non-photo).
« on: October 20, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
I have a Deskjet all-in-one inkjet that I got for $20. It does everything that I need, seriously. But it's out of ink, and I just refuse to spend $40 on cartridges.

Is there any way to obtain basic, simple document printing without playing the inkjet cartridge game?

I use Linux exclusively, so I need something that either has Linux drivers or works over the network with CUPS, or whatever.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Need a printer (non-photo).
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
get a Postscript laser printer.  I have a Brother HL-1650N on the network and it has worked flawlessly for about 10 years.  I think its on the 2nd or 3rd cartridge.  I refilled it myself last time.

Watch out for printers that only work with Windows.  Some Sharp models (like AL-1655CS, don't ask me how I know) cannot even be used with Mac.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:15:18 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »
Before you give up on it, check ink prices at Monoprice.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
Laser printer. Hit craigslist. Cartridges are still $40-60 but you get a couple thousand pages vs a couple hundred with mist inkjets. Plus, the toner never dries up.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
Inkjet printers are a scam. The cost of the printers is next to nothing, but they whack you for the cartridges. The cost-per-print is FAR less with a laser, and if you don't need color there are basic models today that are pretty affordable.

Color laser is still a bit pricey, but worthy of consideration.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
I have a Deskjet all-in-one inkjet that I got for $20. It does everything that I need, seriously. But it's out of ink, and I just refuse to spend $40 on cartridges.

Is there any way to obtain basic, simple document printing without playing the inkjet cartridge game?

I use Linux exclusively, so I need something that either has Linux drivers or works over the network with CUPS, or whatever.

How much are you willing to spend?

My HP Laserjet P1006 works fine directly connected (believe HP when they say it does not work across a LAN.  I never got it reliable, and gave up), and cost me ~$100, years ago.  The P1102w appears to be the current equivalent.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.