Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Preserving Peppers

(1/4) > >>

Ben:
I have banana peppers coming out of my ears and would like to preserve some. My preferred would be freezing. I have read some articles that say just to freeze them whole, while others say to cut them into strips, remove seeds, and freeze on a baking sheet, then store in ziplocks.

Have any of you preserved peppers? What is your preferred method?

EDIT: Oh, I'd be up for possibly pickling the peppers. Whole would be preferred to sliced or diced.

zxcvbob:
My preferred way is to slice into thick rings and dehydrate them.  (that works especially well with serrano peppers)  Freezing works, but you might need to blanch them first.

Kingcreek:
Pickled banana peppers are my favorite but you can split in half and freeze them. Vacuum seal is always best. And yeah, freeze briefly on baking sheet before bagging.
We have done stuffed green peppers with cooked and cooled stuffing and raw fresh peppers and then froze them for later with good results.
Jalapeño peppers will freeze whole just fine.

Ben:
I've been researching and am now leaning more towards more pickling based on some tasty recipes I've found. The freezing idea is because I like to throw fresh diced pepper and onion into my scrambled eggs. These banana peppers have been awesome in eggs. However I think I might now pickle 2/3 of them and freeze 1/3.

I guess peppers are supposed to keep on producing until the weather kills them, so I should still have some fresh ones going for a couple of months.

zxcvbob:

--- Quote from: Ben on August 05, 2021, 08:48:32 PM ---I've been researching and am now leaning more towards more pickling based on some tasty recipes I've found. The freezing idea is because I like to throw fresh diced pepper and onion into my scrambled eggs. These banana peppers have been awesome in eggs. However I think I might now pickle 2/3 of them and freeze 1/3.

I guess peppers are supposed to keep on producing until the weather kills them, so I should still have some fresh ones going for a couple of months.

--- End quote ---

In my experience, they step up production in the fall here in the north.  I think it has something to do with the day length.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version