Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Preserving Peppers

<< < (3/4) > >>

zxcvbob:

--- Quote from: T.O.M. on August 09, 2021, 09:50:58 PM ---What's the best way to dehydrate peppers?  Last year, I cut the peppers (jalepenos and habeneros) into rings and dried them on a food dehydrator.  Stored in ziplocs.  The habeneros were moldy within two weeks.  The jalepenos were fine.  This season, I also have tobacco peppers, which are tasty, and produced like crazy.

--- End quote ---

That is strange.  You obviously didn't dry them enough, but usually it's the jalapenos that have that problem.  I cut some mild habaneros that my brother gave me into big chunks and dried them on a dehydrator last year and put them on a pint Mason jar with a lid and they are still doing just fine in the kitchen cupboard. (I'm not sure what to do with them now; they were good fresh but getting old and I didn't want them to rot)

What's a tobacco pepper? :)  I think dried ancho peppers have a hint of good chewing tobacco in the flavor an aroma.  I've never noticed it in any other variety.
ETA: Tabasco?  (I hate autocorrect)

T.O.M.:
Yeah, that was supposed to be tobasco.  surfing on my phone without glasses is problematic in that way.

Larry Ashcraft:
Here's another suggestion: freeze drying.

Big R has freeze dryers that aren't too terribly expensive.   I live right in the middle of several Pueblo Chile farms, a huge crop here.  Carl Musso Jr at Musso Farms has started freeze drying chiles after he roasts them.  He says they taste just like they came out the roaster.  I'm waiting to get some to send to some friends back east who haven't tried Pueblo Chiles. They weigh next to nothing so shipping is relatively cheap compared to shipping frozen.  If his experiment works, we are going to get a freeze dryer to save freezer space.

https://www.mussofarmschileroom.com/

K Frame:
Most freeze dryers for home use start around $2k and go up from there.

They're also noisy and put off a lot of heat and they take time to do their thing, so it's best to have them somewhere outside the home.

If I were seriously into prepping I might consider a freeze dryer...

K Frame:
Here's a site I found on freeze drying without a freeze dryer. I'd be willing to give it a try...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version