Author Topic: Obama Drops Proposal to Tax 529 College Savings Plans  (Read 4019 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Obama Drops Proposal to Tax 529 College Savings Plans
« on: January 27, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
Obama has dropped his idea of taxing 529 tax-deferred college savings plans. I couldn't believe he proposed it in the first place, considering how popular the 529 plan is not only with the Middle Class, but with the left and right coast liberals.

In fact Nancy Pelosi even told him it was a bad idea and to drop it. Nancy Pelosi. It's pretty bad when you're so far to the left that Pelosi has to rein you in.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:49:25 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Obama Drops Proposal to Tax 529 College Savings Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:04:55 PM »
I was wondering if that was a feint to distract. It's hard to imagine it was serious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:21:57 PM »
Damage done. Watch parents everywhere stop doing 529. Contributing extra to a 401K and using that for your kid's school is probably better in any case.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:42:14 PM »
Well,  it's not like Obama ever had to worry about paying for college....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 11:53:31 PM »
Damage done. Watch parents everywhere stop doing 529. Contributing extra to a 401K and using that for your kid's school is probably better in any case.
Yeah, Democrats have never proposed taxing 401K plans before.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:37 PM »
Beat me to it.

Same rhetoric applies.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »
BHO has squeezed the rich as much as he can and is getting fewer returns as the rich maneuver their money to avoid taxation.  Funny how hte rich can afford good accountants and can arrange their lives to maximize their wealth.  Almost as if them being rich is not just some winning ticket in the lottery of life(1) but a result of other factors intrinsic to them.

The middle class is a big target (lots of them) and they can not afford to arrange their life to avoid taxation.  They get to take it in the face.  Besides, BHO despises the middle class.

(1) Credit to Richard Gephart
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:18:37 AM »
Obama to Tax College Savings: Women and Minorities Hardest Hit
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 06:04:16 AM »

Well, they are taxed at withdrawal. Of course the ideas have been floated to eliminate the pre-tax status of contributions, kill Roths and such. Those things by legislation are known non-starters because you can't implement your evil plan if you got voted out.

I think 401K will be more drastic. Make a big enough crisis, then nationalize all 401Ks by moving everyone to a gov't retirement program. Hey, if you can make them all buy health insurance, you can surely mandate what % all those young workers pay in. And don't work mom and pops, your money is all safe right in this big vault right next to the social security vault. We just had to do this to save you from those evil banksters.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gov't can't stare at a cookie jar as big as 401K is and not knock it over. I just turned 40, I contribute to a 401. I will also continue to take a loan on it whenever I can and buy durable things or at least things that have value in the real world. Hence my $1200 pantry adjustment in long term food this past fall. Or the primers I lost count of, etc, etc.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:29:18 AM »
Well, they are taxed at withdrawal. Of course the ideas have been floated to eliminate the pre-tax status of contributions, kill Roths and such. Those things by legislation are known non-starters because you can't implement your evil plan if you got voted out.

I think 401K will be more drastic. Make a big enough crisis, then nationalize all 401Ks by moving everyone to a gov't retirement program. Hey, if you can make them all buy health insurance, you can surely mandate what % all those young workers pay in. And don't work mom and pops, your money is all safe right in this big vault right next to the social security vault. We just had to do this to save you from those evil banksters.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gov't can't stare at a cookie jar as big as 401K is and not knock it over. I just turned 40, I contribute to a 401. I will also continue to take a loan on it whenever I can and buy durable things or at least things that have value in the real world. Hence my $1200 pantry adjustment in long term food this past fall. Or the primers I lost count of, etc, etc.

They are definately salivating over 401ks and Roths, and their hunger will only get worse. OTOH, I think its a triggering point and likely a line in the sand for a lot of people- steal a person's life's work and they have little left to care for- multiply that by millions of really pissed off (and armed) people.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
Hey, Boehner!  See what a little push-back can do!  All you gotta do is stand up on your hind legs and say no, and you too will win one or two.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 09:20:25 AM »

I better get a tax credit the years it under performs or loses money.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 09:46:45 AM »
I also wonder what the smoke screen from this bomb (tax college savings) is covering up or diverting attention from.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
I also wonder what the smoke screen from this bomb (tax college savings) is covering up or diverting attention from.

That was my thought too

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 06:19:06 PM »
They are definately salivating over 401ks and Roths, and their hunger will only get worse. OTOH, I think its a triggering point and likely a line in the sand for a lot of people- steal a person's life's work and they have little left to care for- multiply that by millions of really pissed off (and armed) people.

The "You didn't build that" position is evolving into "You didn't earn that" and "You don't own that". A battle between ants and grasshoppers is an unpleasant prospect, but I'm not certain it's avoidable any longer.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »
If they grab at 401K's, heh, whole lot of people will not be pleased at losing their life savings.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »
They may not sieze them outright, but I could definitely see a higher taxation rate or taking a "small portion" of it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »
Well slap me and call me Sally. This time boomhauer is more optimistic than I am

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »
They may not sieze them outright, but I could definitely see a higher taxation rate or taking a "small portion" of it.
Yep. As far as I see, all he was doing here was suggesting removal of the tax breaks for the 529 plans.  The same could be done of traditional and Roth 401k plans with serious impacts on the long term value of such plans but no direct confiscation.  

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 08:14:45 PM »
Yep. As far as I see, all he was doing here was suggesting removal of the tax breaks for the 529 plans.  The same could be done of traditional and Roth 401k plans with serious impacts on the long term value of such plans but no direct confiscation.  
And it wouldn't take a lot of spin for the politicians to convince voters that taking away retirement tax breaks is the right thing to do.  Anyone who objects can be painted as a rich selfish SOB who wants to take food out of the mouths of babies. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
Well slap me and call me Sally. This time boomhauer is more optimistic than I am

I concur with Boomhauer. Outright seizure would be illegal (not that it'd stop the feds from trying), but more importantly it'd piss off every bank, most companies and 88,705,000 voters.

Banks happen to like having about 4 trillion in assets that the owners of said assets cannot move or withdraw easily.
Companies like having 4 trillion dollars put towards purchasing their stock.
Near 90 million people are putting money towards retirement. They're probably more likely to actually be voters, but I haven't seen any statistics. Stealing money from 28% of the population won't go over well. 37% of the over-18 population. You'd really need to sell the other 63% in this case. A very large percent of that 37% would be willing to put campaign contributions and votes towards revenge candidates.

So yeah. Screwing around with the tax implications is possible, even probable. Out and out seizure? Not likely. There was significant push back against ACA/Obamacare, which was mostly screwing around with existing structures and not nationalization.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Thing is a lot of the voters that support the left are the ones that more than likely don't have 529's or 401k's.  They could be sold on tax those or less tax breaks would mean more money to dole out to those that don't work.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »
Thing is a lot of the voters that support the left are the ones that more than likely don't have 529's or 401k's.  They could be sold on tax those or less tax breaks would mean more money to dole out to those that don't work.

Well, that's where that Romney "47%" (or whatever it was) quote gets interesting. Coastal and big city libs who make low six figure incomes (which is pretty middle class in a lot of housing markets) have mostly sided with taxing to support that 47%, which can make "tax and spend" a majority voter issue. If the Left in DC starts going too far and hitting the savings vehicles (whether it's 401Ks, 529s, health savings, etc.) that a lot of these "coastal libs" (for want of a better term) rely on, it could make things more interesting.

I notice the Obama clan has been careful over the last few years to make the lower limit of a lot of their "eat the rich" tax schemes around $500K*. I think they wouldn't have as much support at say, $200K, which is the combined income for a lot of people in larger cities and expensive housing markets, while still looked at as "rich" by not just the 47%, but by a lot of flyover country.

* Of course realizing that this "tax the wealthiest" stuff is really nonsense, since you could tax the wealthiest 1% at 100% and not make the slightest dent in the deficit and runaway spending.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 02:53:43 PM »
What is more important to the Democrats in DC?  The voters who they lead around by the nose or the money guys and big businesses that feed them campaign money?  I think they have shown over and over again they care little about the actual voter. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
What is more important to the Democrats in DC?  The voters who they lead around by the nose or the money guys and big businesses that feed them campaign money?  I think they have shown over and over again they care little about the actual voter. 

Replace "Democrats" with "Republicans" and it's still true.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden