Author Topic: Okay, who asked for this? Hi-Point 30 Super Carry Carbine  (Read 579 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Okay, who asked for this? Hi-Point 30 Super Carry Carbine
« on: April 10, 2023, 10:10:36 PM »
Only a 10rd mag, same as the 9mm, so you don't gain anything over 9mm in terms of capacity so I'm really not seeing the point

Hi-Point Carbine Now Chambered in 30 Super Carry
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/hi-point-carbine-now-chambered-in-30-super-carry/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 07:52:49 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
Re: Okay, who asked for this? Hi-Point 30 Carry Carbine
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 07:40:02 AM »
The original .30 carbine isn't a particularly powerful round, the .30 Super Carry is - apart from a few thousandths of an inch difference in diameter - a downloaded version of that. (Some folks say it was actually inspired by the old and relatively obscure 7.65mm French Long round. But it looks like a shortened .30 Carbine round to me.)

The new Hi-Point carbines are cheap with an MSRP of $359 - much cheaper than a decent .30 M1 carbine these days - but I see zero use for something in 30 Super Carry when similar cheap carbines are available in 9mm.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
Re: Okay, who asked for this? Hi-Point 30 Carry Carbine
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 07:52:31 AM »
The original .30 carbine isn't a particularly powerful round, the .30 Super Carry is - apart from a few thousandths of an inch difference in diameter - a downloaded version of that. (Some folks say it was actually inspired by the old and relatively obscure 7.65mm French Long round. But it looks like a shortened .30 Carbine round to me.)

30 Super Carry 
Bullet - 100gr
Case length - 21mm (0.827in)
Muzzle - Vel - 1250 ft/s
Muzzle energy - 347 ft-lbs

30 Carbine
Bullet - 110gr
Case length 32.8mm (1.290in)
Muzzle Vel - 1990 ft/s
Muzzle energy - 960 ft-lbs

Other than the bullets being in the same ballpark of each other they're totally different animals.

If it was in 30 Carbine I could see a use but it would probably have to be a locked breech design at that point which would probably raise the price considerably.

The whole point of 30SC is higher cap in a hand gun over 9mm. You're not getting that here.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 08:18:36 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Okay, who asked for this? Hi-Point 30 Super Carry Carbine
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 08:51:22 AM »
This makes me wonder if Federal or someone paid them to come out with that model to boost sales/interest in the round. 

Honestly, 30 super carry doesn't give enough of a bonus over 9mm to tempt me into changing.  I like having some small stockpile of practice ammo and 9mm pricing allows me to do that.  If I am going to switch calibers, I am more likely to switch to 45 or 10mm.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 09:56:04 AM »
I want to love the .30 Super Carry...

Just because it's a .32, and I love the .32s....

But I really just don't see a point for it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 12:52:56 PM »
I want to love the .30 Super Carry...

Just because it's a .32, and I love the .32s....

But I really just don't see a point for it.
You could probably have a (good) gunsmith modify a .327 Magnum revolver to use the .30 Super Carry . . . with moon clips. Maybe just fit an extra cylinder.

Then you'd have something people don't see every day. 

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 01:16:33 PM »
.30 Super Carry sounds like something the FBI will be using after they lose another gunfight, spend millions on research, and then downselect due to increasingly effeminate hands and wrists.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 01:38:59 PM »
.30 Super Carry sounds like something the FBI will be using after they lose another gunfight, spend millions on research, and then downselect due to increasingly effeminate hands and wrists.
No problem - under their new regulations, the .30 Super Carry will identify as a .46 FBI Magnum.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 01:51:58 PM »
No problem - under their new regulations, the .30 Super Carry will identify as a .46 FBI Magnum.

Pronouns  Bang/Pew
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 01:20:44 AM »
Hi-Point carbines are actually pretty nice, and reliable, for what they are.

I just wish I could get one set up for a Glock 19 magazine...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 07:22:10 AM »
Hi-Point carbines are actually pretty nice, and reliable, for what they are.

Got one in 10mm
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 01:15:17 PM »
30 Super Carry 
Bullet - 100gr
Case length - 21mm (0.827in)
Muzzle - Vel - 1250 ft/s
Muzzle energy - 347 ft-lbs

30 Carbine
Bullet - 110gr
Case length 32.8mm (1.290in)
Muzzle Vel - 1990 ft/s
Muzzle energy - 960 ft-lbs

Just out of curiosity, what barrel lengths?  I presume the .30 carbine is out of an M1 carbine.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 01:54:44 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what barrel lengths?  I presume the .30 carbine is out of an M1 carbine.

4 & 18 respectively.

Can't find data for 30SC in carbine length barrels. Debatable how much the round would gain. Be willing to bet now that's there's a carbine out someone will eventuality run rounds through a chronograph out of one.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 10:01:26 AM »
Ian loving his new HiPoint carbine in 7.65 French Long
Don't laugh, apparently you can actually run 7.65 FL though it.

He does note based on it's effects on the spinner 30SC doesn't appear to gain much in a carbine barrel.
I still would like to see chronograph data.

Hi-Point Leading the People: The New 3095 Carbine (Audio Fixed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMqlvIXNlU8
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:19:57 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes