Author Topic: I paid $35 for something I could have gotten on amazon for $18  (Read 709 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
And I was glad to do so.

When you need one of these, you need a damn good one, 'cause you got one chance to get it right and avoid much work & pain:
http://www.amazon.com/Pasco-4831-4-Inch-Nipple-Extractor/dp/B0044XOTO2/ref=sr_1_27?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1339304587&sr=1-27&keywords=nipple+extractor

(Actually the version made by these folk, which I'd bet is better quality.):
http://www.lasco.net/index.php?main_page=page&id=5&zenid=dtibd3frea6d837d6hr5bub7q3

In this case, I needed to extract a busted threaded 3/4"ID copper pipe from the female brass fitting for the master shower/bathroom I am remodeling.  Worked after I stuffed the fitting full of paper towel soaked in vinegar for the night, to eat up any calcium deposits.

Now, I don;t have to bust trough the cement board and play like a plumber(1).

You should now avert your eyes while I perform the happy dance.

(1) I have the world's worst luck with plumbers.  I learned to DIY after a couple in a row gave sweet, sweet journeyman's love to the canine.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: I paid $35 for something I could have gotten on amazon for $18
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:25:21 AM »
Good to know that they're effective for plumbing work.  I have a set of these - decent quality.  I've found them to be totally useless for automotive work.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: I paid $35 for something I could have gotten on amazon for $18
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »
You only have to buy quality once....glad it worked...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.