Main Forums > Politics

Canadian airsoft gun control

<< < (2/4) > >>

dogmush:

--- Quote from: 230RN on March 07, 2021, 08:34:23 AM ---Some of them are darned realistic. I had an LPG-powered Colt Mark4 which if it weren't for the orange muzzle cap, you'd almost swear was real.

Same thing with a Walther PPK powered by CO2 which if you left off the screw-in cartridge piercing device on the bottom of the grip, was another realistic one.

We  have got to stop putting Nannies in positions of political power.

--- End quote ---

There exist (I have held them in my grimy little hands) Airsoft M16's which will accept a trigger group, and pin to a real upper.  The kurflufle with the ATF in the PNW several years back were one of the few times the revenuers were right and something was readily convertible.

That said, I am convinced most of the "toy gun" laws are less about public safety and more about making sure that young folks never feel comfortable with any weapon shaped object, so they are less likely to covet them later in life.  (a hypothesis Japanese gun culture would call into question anyway)

dogmush:
Sidetrack:

I was reading that publicsafety.gc.ca link up there and I saw a part about "weapons prohibited on May1st 2020" and was curious and I clicked through and found that they prohibited a bunch of stuff by name, and any "Sniper Rifle", defined as a rifle that can use a cartridge with more than 10,000 Joules muzzle energy.  I had too look that up, since I suspected they wanted to just ban .50 BMG sniper rifles, because that's what Marky Mark used in that one movie, but I know there's a lot of hunting for big pointy toothed (or horned) animals in Canada.  Wiki provided me this partial list of cartridges which exceed 10,000J (~7,500ft-lbs):

--- Quote ---.700 Nitro Express
.600 Nitro Express
.600 Overkill
.585 Nyati
.577 Tyrannosaur
.585 Hubel express
.475 A&M Magnum
.460 Weatherby Magnum
12.7×108mm
14.5×114mm
.50 BMG
2 bore
.950 JDJ (the world's largest rifle cartridge)
20×102mm Vulcan (One of the most powerful rifle rounds, used in anti-materiel rifles)
--- End quote ---

The astute among you will notice that, with a few military exceptions, that is a list of elephant gun cartridges, with huge, fat, stubby bullets not known for their BC's.

So Canada has banned "Sniper Rifles" but defined them such that you can happily get an C14 Timberwolf chambered in .338 Lapua, which is the rifle used by Snipers in the Canadian Military....

230RN:
Red muzzle caps...

I don't know the timeline of cause and effect here, but there have been instances of kids with toy guns being shot by police:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kid+with+pellet+gun+shot+by+police&t=h_&ia=web

The Walther I referred to did not have a cap, but the Mark IV did.   Also, I have a Crosman CO2 revolver that does not have one, so I don't know when that orange muzzle cap thing went into effect here in the US.

I'm of two minds on this one.  For the kids (even the adult kids) I kind of like the idea, but in general, I abhor the overprotection philosophy of Nannyism  and it irks me.  I know it sounds ironheaded, but... oh, hell, I'll say it: "Darwin will out."

Terry, 230RN

dogmush:
I am of the age that I remember circa mid 80's [edit google tells me 1987] the hulabalu over a cop in Cali shooting a kid with a Laser Tag gun that started this "Toy Gun must not look like real gun" craze.  I remember thinking even at the tender age of 8 that my laser tag gun looked nothing like a pistol, and the flashlight in it (first Gen "laser tag" did not use lasers) looked nothing like a muzzle flash, but in the 80's we still all believed cops when they said they were scared.

Article:  https://apnews.com/article/390dbc6529cbe7c664a20aa9e9c61eb7

Heh.  Looking back on that article now, after the last two and a half decades of paying attention to policing in the US, I am much less sympathetic to the "unnamed deputy".

Cliffh:
The Gamo 430 CO2 pistol I bought new last year doesn't have an orange tip.

And it could be mistaken for a "real" pistol, even in the day time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version