Author Topic: Where do the stolen goods go?  (Read 1388 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Where do the stolen goods go?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2022, 11:35:53 AM »
Yeah, the cops here don't come for anything less than a violent crime. And, of course, they are usually too late to do anything.

Was talking to the loss prevention guy from Home Depot yesterday. Said that they're also concerned about their employees being injured by the thieves, so...

Used to be, the thieves would have stairway accidents. No more.

I think I'm in the wrong business.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2022, 12:11:22 PM »
I think police declining to respond is a symptom more than a cause.  Police know those people aren't seeing any significant punishment.  They know people voted for this stuff.  They know if they go too far responding to it, they can get prosecuted and have their own lives destroyed. 

I guess I hate automatically blaming the police for this.  IMO, this sits at the feet of the prosecutors and judges and politicians. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2022, 12:17:52 PM »
Yeah - KG won't do anything, so the STL cops are just sitting back.

But you can bet she'd do something if I whacked one of the miscreants with my cane.
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2022, 12:33:35 PM »
I like to think I have a pretty good nose for sketchy deals thanks to 25 years of private meets to buy and sell. Helps that most of it was guns and I wanted all the details. Even met a guy at midnight in a gravel pit to buy a Randall knife. It was where he worked even if it did look like a Sopranos unhappy ending. But I stay far away from anything the least bit fishy in terms of where the product came from.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2022, 02:42:47 PM »
Yeah, the cops here don't come for anything less than a violent crime. And, of course, they are usually too late to do anything.

Was talking to the loss prevention guy from Home Depot yesterday. Said that they're also concerned about their employees being injured by the thieves, so...

Used to be, the thieves would have stairway accidents. No more.

I think I'm in the wrong business.

Father in law was a store manager for Home Depot from 89 to 07. He said caught shoplifters used to  sometimes slip and bang their head against the endcap racks on the way to the front of the store to meet the cops. Said the clumsy bastards sometimes could end up hitting every one. Then they’d slip and bang their head on the cruiser roof on the way into the backseat.

Now? If an employee even has a thought of stopping a thief they’d be fired.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 06:15:48 PM »
I asked the local CVS manager one day if he had a way of erasing the security stuff if a shoplifter did something like trip over my cane on the way out the door... That got a smile...
Blog under construction