Author Topic: Why Smartcar?  (Read 19664 times)

crt360

• friend
Re: Why Smartcar?
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »
Can you get a mower attachment for it?
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2008, 02:12:31 AM »
Crash test blah-blah-blah.  That little 4-wheel cage is still safer than my motorcycle, and lots of us risk that mode of transportation every day...  undecided 

Not I. 

Can you get a mower attachment for it?

Thread's over.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

taurusowner

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2008, 03:07:59 AM »
Seems like the only thing it's good for is driving downrange to change out the 500m targets.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2008, 03:11:22 AM »
Seems like the only thing it's good for is driving downrange to change out the 500m targets.

You can do that with a mountain bike for less money and very little "environmental impact". 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2008, 04:32:45 AM »
Does that thing have an engine, or pedals

It comes standard with a hyperactive hamster in a wheel.

One word:  Flintstones
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2008, 05:13:36 AM »

You can do that with a mountain bike for less money and very little "environmental impact". 

Except that doing so will endanger the habitat of the Western Reticulated Kumkwat Flea.

Thanks for getting another range area shut down, you prat. Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »

More research. It seems the Smart has no crumple zone, but a design meant to trigger another vehicle's crumple zone. Thing is, if the other vehicle has no crumple zone, you're screwed, and mass wins.

In certain markets like California...

...there are a LOT of cars on the road with no crumple zone.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »
It doesn't have ROOM to have a crumple zone.  undecided

I'll stick with my Explorer. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »
Regolith, why do you hate the trees, and the birdies?   sad

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2008, 02:49:50 AM »
If anyone watched those crash test videos, the cabin of the smart car showed amazing structural integrity in the tests, which would protect the occupants from intrusion into the passenger compartment. The downside is, they would be absorbing all the g-forces which would otherwise be decreased by crumple zones.

Of course, mass almost always wins but, it wouldn't matter much whatever you were driving if you have a head on with a Freightliner.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mfree

• friend
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2008, 07:23:36 AM »
That's not a SMART, btw.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2008, 07:43:30 AM »
If anyone watched those crash test videos, the cabin of the smart car showed amazing structural integrity in the tests, which would protect the occupants from intrusion into the passenger compartment. The downside is, they would be absorbing all the g-forces which would otherwise be decreased by crumple zones.

Which, unless you're wearing a six-point harness and a neckbrace like a race driver, can kill you. I don't think a regular seatbelt would be enough?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2008, 07:51:42 AM »

Which, unless you're wearing a six-point harness and a neckbrace like a race driver, can kill you. I don't think a regular seatbelt would be enough?

I aways find it amazing when folks who own and ride motorcycles (or used to own/ride) complain about how unsafe small cars are in accidents. Not saying that folks on here all own motorcycles but I find it funny.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2008, 08:01:52 AM »
I see more motorcycles on backroads here than I do in hostile rush-hour traffic.

I think people who ride a motorcycle in 80mph hostile bumper-to-bumper traffic accept that if they crash, they'll be killed by both impact and other cars running over them. That, or they should accept that.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2008, 08:08:20 AM »
Lots of motorcycles around here all the time.  In our parking lot (not all that large of one) we frequently have upwards of 8 or 9.  There's almost always 2-3.  Being in Tysons Corner, there is ALWAYS heavy traffic here and the major routes nearby are such backcountry roads as I495 (aka Capital Beltway), I66, I395, etc. 

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »
As a motorcycle rider myself, I don't complain at all about how unsafe small cars are in accidents.

It's a matter of physics, pure and simple.  In a collision, a cager is probably going to do better than a bike, and a Freightliner is going to do better than a Suburban, and so forth.  You can engineer crumple zones 'til the cows come home, but Newton will prevail.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2008, 08:31:30 AM »
My divisional manager laid his bike down on I-66 a couple of months ago. Lost it on a milled section of highway.

He punched out of an F-16 that had injested a goose, so the motorcycle was probably old hat to him.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2008, 08:50:22 AM »
  You can engineer crumple zones 'til the cows come home, but Newton will prevail.

So, Newton sides with the gas-guzzling vehicles.  That earth-hating tool!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2008, 10:44:05 AM »

At 70 mph into a concrete barrier, I don't think it would matter what kind of harness you wear. Maybe if you had a HANS device.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2008, 11:01:23 AM »
  You can engineer crumple zones 'til the cows come home, but Newton will prevail.

So, Newton sides with the gas-guzzling vehicles.  That earth-hating tool!

Newton may love them, but they won't survive Darwin.  laugh

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2008, 11:21:43 AM »
No, Darwin sides with them, as well.  We can't win, Paddy. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »
Newton occasionally has a sense of humor.

And sometimes, nothing makes sense at all.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2008, 03:12:55 PM »
I can't believe that guy drove that Vette into the garage with that pickup on top of his car! cool

That Burbank crash is extremely weird.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2008, 05:21:39 PM »
I can't believe that guy drove that Vette into the garage with that pickup on top of his car! cool

That Burbank crash is extremely weird.

VETTE?  Did you see the prancing pony? That is a Ferrari!

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536