Author Topic: Why tablet computers?  (Read 4453 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Why tablet computers?
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:43:35 AM »
I have wanted to get a lap-top for some time. I own some "grampabox" desktop PCs and a smartphone. I see the laptop as a compromise between the power, configurability, and ease of use of the former, and the portability of the latter.

But now everyone seems to want these tablet things. I am not sure why. They seem to be only slightly more portable than the laptop, but don't they sacrifice a lot, in the other areas? That is, they don't have a physical keyboard, and they seem much less modular/upgradeable.

That being said, I have never seen a tablet in action. Maybe they are better than I thought.

So what's with the tablets?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Why tablet computers?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:15:57 AM »
I have a Kindle Fire....so I'm not sure if that counts....

The main thing I like about it is the portability factor....I can take it to any room of the house and access the Internet. It's easy to pack and carry to work or on trips. The on-screen keyboard is OK for small jobs (like posting on APS), but I wouldn't want to have to take notes or write large documents with it. And it handles different media jobs well enough (video, streaming audio, etc.)

For tasks that require something larger than a smartphone but not a full-sized laptop, tablets in the Kindle Fire/Blackberry Playbook-sized range are great. And, with accessories like dockable keyboards and cloud storage, it could work as a makeshift netbook.

I like 'em.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »
Tablets are smaller, lighter, and turn on faster than any laptop or netbook.  They're less cumbersome (don't have to rest one on a flat surface or your lap during use).  Battery life is much longer (6-12hrs per charge).  They'll do most of what a person needs in a portable device.

They suck for data entry, aren't as flexible, and are obviously pretty locked into a specific design/purpose.  They aren't a replacement for a computer, but they do replace most functions of a laptop for non-geek users.

These days, I could get by quite well with a desktop for fixed position, "serious" work and a tablet for portable computing.  The laptop is neither here nor there and you pay a premium for it.

Chris

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:13:12 AM »
My wife has an Asus tablet that is able to attach to a physical keyboard and transform into a traditional clam-shell laptop.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »
So what's with the tablets?

They're oversized cell phone tech, essentially.

The OS is basically purpose built (sorta) so it loads a lot faster. Your PC could boot up as fast or faster. IF Windows stripped out all of the junk that does not match your specific hardware configuration. Some NetBSD lunatics actually do this, and have fully running systems in a few seconds. Before tablets were cool, I was partial to netbooks. For the mobility, they basically sucked as computers. I see tablets as keyboard optional netbooks.

Now, I doubt most folks use tablets for what I used my old netbook for.  Wifi scanning, passive sniffing, metasploit, my technical notes, etc. But it was downright handy. Now I use my cell phone instead of a netbook. With incorporated compass and GPS, you can do some interesting mapping stuff. Yes, there are apps that cache map info.

Basically, I want a spare tablet to essentially be a spare cell phone with a larger screen.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »
My wife has an Asus tablet that is able to attach to a physical keyboard and transform into a traditional clam-shell laptop.

We have the Asus EEE Transformer as well.

I can't use it for long before there's a post I want to make or a reply I want to type, so for me the lack of a keyboard is keeping me from using it as much as I could.

We could add the keyboard Asus offers, but for me, there's plenty of laptops around the house to grab.
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
In my mind, tablets are computers for people who only use a computer for the internet.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »
In my mind, tablets are computers for people who only use a computer for the internet.

Or, for people who want a computer only for the internet.

I have real computers. I can't lie in bed and read my computer. I can with my tablet. (or recline in a comfy chair or head to the park, etc...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
They're oversized cell phone tech, essentially.

The OS is basically purpose built (sorta) so it loads a lot faster. Your PC could boot up as fast or faster. IF Windows stripped out all of the junk that does not match your specific hardware configuration. Some NetBSD lunatics actually do this, and have fully running systems in a few seconds. Before tablets were cool, I was partial to netbooks. For the mobility, they basically sucked as computers. I see tablets as keyboard optional netbooks.

Now, I doubt most folks use tablets for what I used my old netbook for.  Wifi scanning, passive sniffing, metasploit, my technical notes, etc. But it was downright handy. Now I use my cell phone instead of a netbook. With incorporated compass and GPS, you can do some interesting mapping stuff. Yes, there are apps that cache map info.

Basically, I want a spare tablet to essentially be a spare cell phone with a larger screen.

Maybe you should test out that new phone that just came out. It's inbetween the size of a tablet and a smartphone and it comes with a pen. If the pen really works, I could see that as being handy. I bet it would go over big with engineer types who like to scribble diagrams and such.
My biggest issue on the touchscreen as oppsed to a keyboard/mouse is presision. Sometimes links are small and close together, so I hit the wrong one, and, as has been said, sitting down an typing something more then a paragraph or two is a PITA.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
Reading with tablets is also far more comfortable than with a laptop or a PC, IMO.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »
i fiddled with my nephews ipad, and was very impressed with what it could do.  my favorite app was "star walk".  it was an intuitive star gazing program that helped you find and identify stars and constellations.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »

Oh, there is quite a bit of local things one can do with a tablet...  Or to a local LAN...

=D

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
Tablets are better than laptops for the sort of things most of the people do most of the time. If you aren't using lots of processing power, don't need tons of on-board storage, and aren't typing extensively they beat laptops hands down in some very important areas like ease of use, portability, and battery life.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
For most, Tablet= lounging on couch while playing Angry Birds, updating Facebook, watching Youtube.

The lounging on couch is the main part.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »
These days, I could get by quite well with a desktop for fixed position, "serious" work and a tablet for portable computing.  The laptop is neither here nor there and you pay a premium for it.

I have a docking station for my laptop, so I can use regular keyboard and monitor, etc.  Actually, it's the docking station for my company laptop, which is the same model as my laptop - or my laptop is the same model as my company laptop :)

I got it for about $200 "refurbished."  Going on two months now and it seems to be okay.

Wouldn't really have needed a laptop at all, except the client I am working for now requires everything to be done in house on their network, so my company laptop is of no use for travel (don't want to do much or any web surfing on it as it only works through their VPN).  My old PC needed updating, and having two laptops that fit in the same docking station frees up a lot of desk space.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
Thanks. All very interesting.

I shouldn't bother to ask, though. By the time I can afford either one, there will be some newer gadget that's better.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
Pr0n. My galaxy tab has a fantastic voice recognition system, which can eliminate the need for a keyboard. I will probably get a keyboard for it for word processing, though.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
Maybe you should test out that new phone that just came out. It's inbetween the size of a tablet and a smartphone and it comes with a pen. If the pen really works, I could see that as being handy. I bet it would go over big with engineer types who like to scribble diagrams and such.
My biggest issue on the touchscreen as oppsed to a keyboard/mouse is presision. Sometimes links are small and close together, so I hit the wrong one, and, as has been said, sitting down an typing something more then a paragraph or two is a PITA.

I'm interested in that, but just upgraded to my current phone (a Droid Bionic, so I'm not exactly crying here) 6 months ago [soupnazi]No upgrade for you![/soupnazi]. Otherewise, I'd totally make the jump. It'd just be too expensive for me to do so now, and I've got so many other things I need to spend money on - new windows, deck repairs, one or more actual new computers to replace my current aging systems and let me run the software I'll need for class in the summer or fall semester (which I also need to buy, come to think of it)...

I suspect it would be uncomfortable to use as a phone due to its size, though a Bluetooth headset would mostly solve that; I wonder if it's big enough to function adequately (for most people, I mean) as a small tablet? The pen thing seems cool, again if it works.

I'd take an Ipad if someone gave me one - I'm entered in a couple of giveaways for the new one, actually, and think it'd be pretty cool to play with if I won - but wouldn't pay for one; I'd be more willing to pay for a Galaxy or something like that, probably, but am still not about to run out and pick one up.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
I'm interested in that, but just upgraded to my current phone (a Droid Bionic, so I'm not exactly crying here) 6 months ago [soupnazi]No upgrade for you![/soupnazi]. Otherewise, I'd totally make the jump. It'd just be too expensive for me to do so now, and I've got so many other things I need to spend money on - new windows, deck repairs, one or more actual new computers to replace my current aging systems and let me run the software I'll need for class in the summer or fall semester (which I also need to buy, come to think of it)...

I suspect it would be uncomfortable to use as a phone due to its size, though a Bluetooth headset would mostly solve that; I wonder if it's big enough to function adequately (for most people, I mean) as a small tablet? The pen thing seems cool, again if it works.

I'd take an Ipad if someone gave me one - I'm entered in a couple of giveaways for the new one, actually, and think it'd be pretty cool to play with if I won - but wouldn't pay for one; I'd be more willing to pay for a Galaxy or something like that, probably, but am still not about to run out and pick one up.

I can see that as a phone it could be ackward, but if you use the headset, or speakerphone (which is something I do a lot) it becomes a non issue.
The pen is the thing (if it works) would be the real improvement over current smartphones, especially if its not one of the annoying tappy things they used to have with Blackberrys.

My biggest concern would be pen retention, how its stored in the phone and how hard it would be to replace if (well, lets be real, WHEN) you lose it. Teathering it to the phone would be annoying, but losing it could be more so.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
I can see that as a phone it could be ackward, but if you use the headset, or speakerphone (which is something I do a lot) it becomes a non issue.
The pen is the thing (if it works) would be the real improvement over current smartphones, especially if its not one of the annoying tappy things they used to have with Blackberrys.

My biggest concern would be pen retention, how its stored in the phone and how hard it would be to replace if (well, lets be real, WHEN) you lose it. Teathering it to the phone would be annoying, but losing it could be more so.

I remember seeing a device not too long ago which had a stylus attached with a retractable lanyard.  Don't know how tough the lanyard was, but it'd be better than losing the stylus. I only ever saw the one device that did that, though - most manufacturers are perfectly happy with you losing the thing and having to send them money for a new one...  ;/

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
I'd get a laptop instead of a tablet if you don't have a laptop yet. It is NOT a laptop replacement.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »
When all these young guys that have these tablets and phones grow up and get old eyes, things will change.  That is why I have a PC with a 24 inch monitor.  Another thing, my fingers do not work the touch pad on lap tops.  I have to attach a mouse if I want to use one.....chris3