Author Topic: why take chances?  (Read 4343 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
why take chances?
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:01:16 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07/beer-has-anti-virus-properties-study-sapporo_n_2258735.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Does beer have anti-virus powers? According to a new study funded by Japanese beer company Sapporo Breweries, a "key ingredient" found in the world's most popular alcoholic beverage may very well help stave off winter sniffles.

Researchers at Sapporo Medical University found that humulone, a chemical compound in hops, was effective against the respiratory syncytial (RS) virus, AFP reports. In addition, humulone was also found to have an anti-inflammatory effect, according to Sapporo's news release.

The research was funded by a brewery, which raises questions about the validity of the results.  But still, why take a chance?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
Re: why take chances?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:38:38 AM »
The research was funded by a brewery, which raises questions about the validity of the results.

I would actually trust research done by a brewery to be done on much more sound science than that from a government funded climatologist.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:37 AM »
McAfee IPA?  Norton Porter?
Formerly sumpnz

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
I would actually trust research done by a brewery to be done on much more sound science than that from a government funded climatologist.

that sets a bar pretty low
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:10:43 AM »

Beer: good for what ales you.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »

Yep. But think about the motivations..
Brewery: Sell more beer.
.Gov: Sell Enforce more slavery

Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:19:28 AM »
Beer:  The solution to a draughty, cold room.

I'll tap this bit of wisdom later on.

Thanks for pinting this out to us.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
Several centuries ago - before the germicidal benefits of water filtration, chlorination, and even boiling were known - beer was considered a healthier alternative to water; folks didn't know about germs, protozoans, and virii, but they noticed that beer drinkers didn't sicken as often as water drinkers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »
"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy." - B. Franklin

Everyone tries to say Norm said it, but it really was that great scholar and philospher Cliff Claven -
‘Well you see, Norm, it’s like this . . . A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers. ‘

And all these other folks - http://www.angelfire.com/de/beerbottles/quotes.html

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
The research was funded by a brewery, which raises questions about the validity of the results.

Is that right. Who's done more research on the subject than the good people at the American Tobacco Industry? They say it's harmless. Why would they lie? If you're dead, you can't smoke.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07/beer-has-anti-virus-properties-study-sapporo_n_2258735.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

The research was funded by a brewery, which raises questions about the validity of the results.  But still, why take a chance?

stay safe.

I don't think it was funded by the company. They just share the same name, probably a town name.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
I don't think it was funded by the company. They just share the same name, probably a town name.

From the article:

According to a new study funded by Japanese beer company Sapporo Breweries.

Readng Comprehension 101 - did you skip that class?

If yours was an attempt at humor/sarcasm a little warning would have been appreciated.

stay safe.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:18:12 PM »

stay safe.

Cool. Earlier this week I read that coffee reduces your chances of developing oral cancer. It has been a good week for two of my favorite beverages.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 10:21:06 PM »

stay safe.

Breweries rely on science. Any good brewery has a bio lab.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »
From the article:

Readng Comprehension 101 - did you skip that class?

If yours was an attempt at humor/sarcasm a little warning would have been appreciated.

stay safe.
Sorry I forgot this  ;/
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »
“Whenever the devil harasses you, seek the company of men or drink more, or joke and talk nonsense, or do some other merry thing. Sometimes we must drink more, sport, recreate ourselves, and even sin a little to spite the devil, so that we leave him no place for troubling our consciences with trifles. We are conquered if we try too conscientiously not to sin at all. So when the devil says to you: do not drink, answer him: I will drink, and right freely, just because you tell me not to.”
―---Martin Luther

A contrary SOB in more ways than one.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 11:20:01 PM »
One more:

“It is better to think of church in the ale-house than to think of the ale-house in church.”
―---Martin Luther
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 10:48:16 AM »
I should have become a Lutheran  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 11:13:28 AM »

Brewmasters usually have a degree in microbiology, biochemistry, chemistry as well. I've found over the years that many of those drawn to brewing are from those fields . Out of all of the chemists that I've worked with over the last 20 or so years, I'd say that 1/4 or better are home brewers.

Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »
I recently saw a special on one of the cable channels about beer brewing at Heinekin - they've had lab folks for 100 years, and have been cloning the same strain of yeast for about that time. Found an article on the web - it talks about computers tracking the process, monitoring temperature, texture, protein, pH, sterility, haze, microbiology analysis, and on and on.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-08-19/news/33262542_1_heineken-malt-beer/1
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
Did it mention anything about Whiskey?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 01:00:20 PM »
Did it mention anything about Whiskey?

Whiskey is even better for you than beer. It saved a guy down in New Zealand recently from blindness...he had drunk some vodka and that reacted with some medication he was taking to cause methanol poisoning and made him blind so doctors administered some Johnny Walker to solve the problem.

I am not shitting yall on this. Really happened.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »
Whiskey is even better for you than beer....

Uisge bheatha - the water of life  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »
Whiskey is even better for you than beer. It saved a guy down in New Zealand recently from blindness...he had drunk some vodka and that reacted with some medication he was taking to cause methanol poisoning and made him blind so doctors administered some Johnny Walker to solve the problem.

I am not shitting yall on this. Really happened.
I knew Johnnie Walker had medicinal value.