Author Topic: Why so many mags?  (Read 5395 times)

Lee

• friend
Re: Why so many mags?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »
One of the ranges I used to use, charged by the hour. I didn't make sense to pay them for loading time, so I usually loaded a bunch of mags before heading out.  You can go through a lot of rounds really quick with a carbine, and it's no fun standing at the line, or in the cold, loading mags.
Then there's the SHTF scenario, when you might need to bug out fast - its a heck of a lot faster to throw 30 mags in a bag.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »
Also, ammo in magazines is effectively instantly usable, ammunition not in magazines, isn't.

Also, you can use the following logic:

If spending money > 0,
  If (ammo > magazines*magazine capacity),
     Then buy more magazines
  Else buy more ammo.
Else buy less other stuff

Repeat while year > year of birth & year < year of death

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:07:35 PM by birdman »

Lee

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »
I get lucky from time to time and run across ar15 mags at garage sales. Usually sold by someone who only vaguely knows what they are. Two years ago I ran across a box of 20 or so 30 rounder USGI.  All of them had green followers. I offered the lady $20 and she acted like I was crazy. She jumped on it. Like Birdman said, they don't eat much, and they store well, so pick up a few spares when you can.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »
Casual used is different than competition.  I would say 4 to 6 mags min for pistols.  10 is best to have spares.  You want enough that you aren't short if one or two start failing.  You might want more if you use them all. 

A fees years back, they were selling 5-mag mag pouches for AKs that would hold any 30 rounder.  I try to keep a mag pouch full plus one in the gun for each semi-auto.  I figured 180 rounds would get me quite far on short notice.  Come to think of it, I will need to load more mags. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »
For a while I was picking up an AR mag and a 100 rd box of Federal .223 per paycheck...total cost $55 ($40 for the ammo, $15 for the PMAG 30 rd). Built me up a nice stash of mags and ammo indeed
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 12:31:31 AM »
The worst part is when you realize you have adequate mags. Then you start looking at what it takes to take your gun for a walk all day. I have 3 or so very basic gun belts or web gear built up, a BOB I'm building that incorporates mag carriers, rifle slings, spare parts kits on the gun, etc. There is no end to this little habit.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 12:36:48 AM »
Then you start looking at what it takes to take your gun for a walk all day.

I went the lightweight route...4 mags in a chest rig, plus a mag pouch on my pistol belt that also has a trauma kit, two pistol mags, pistol, and a small fixed knife.

Pretty much got your whole shebang you need there. I can add my old SAR pack (daypack with gear plus water) if I want to go for "sustainment"

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:37 AM »
So is the approach different for pistols compared to the carbine?

The other thing with handguns is most are considering if you really need the longgun, it'll be your primary and go to.  Handguns are secondary weapons.

This. Rifles are used for sustained combat - as in days or years. Handguns are for unexpected skirmishes. So it would make sense to have more magazines for the one than the other.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 01:45:39 AM »
I was about to order some israeli magazines from Mako group, but their shipping is $19 for UPS ground.

Still a way better deal than *anyone* else out there right now,  but I just can't justify panic buying.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:29 AM »
I was about to order some israeli magazines from Mako group, but their shipping is $19 for UPS ground.

Still a way better deal than *anyone* else out there right now,  but I just can't justify panic buying.

Don't do it. Just don't do it...you don't want crap.

Get thyself on a backorder list for either PMAGs or quality aluminum USGI mags...

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 02:08:36 AM »

Get thyself on a backorder list for either PMAGs or quality aluminum USGI mags...

Am I the only one who bought a Mini-14 instead of an AR?  :facepalm: (just curious) 

Before that, my suburban defense rifle was a Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum.  Both have nice walnut stocks instead of black plastic, and neither one looks scary, but the Mini has a barrel shroud and a flash suppressor so I guess that makes it "evil" anyway. (It's a high-grade GB model, not sure why it doesn't have a bayonet lug)
"It's good, though..."

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 02:19:36 AM »

I have "enough" (what a silly concept) right now.
I've just been so butthurt  and bitter these past few days.

In the past few weeks, I don't think there's been a single " Century arms assault weppun for $3500" posting on Armslist  that I  haven't trolled.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 05:02:22 AM »
When you are using stuff with Happy Switches, you want a LOT of magazines. I can take 10 to 15 loaded magazines to the range and go through them in minutes with the Uzi, Thompson, or M16. It is not fun to go through a 30ish round magazine in seconds and then spend a couple minutes reloading it; it's a lot more fun to have that 10 to 15 or more preloaded magazines.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 05:44:38 AM »
Think of magazines in the same way as you'd think of oil & air filters for a car or batteries for an electronic device....having spares is a good thing.

Speaking of which, I only have six mags for my XDsc (3 13rd shortys, 2 15rd, 1 17rd w/ grip extension). I've put off getting more, but I think I may start buying one a month as I can afford. Everything else is revolvers....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 06:01:11 AM »
And in the military we presume prompt resupply, and that you've got assets at your disposal such as the rest of your squad, air support, artillery.  If it's just you vs. whoever, you've got no presumption of the calvary arriving anytime soon.   

And quite often military personnel will carry more ammo than they're officially 'supposed' to.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 07:26:32 AM »
Am I the only one who bought a Mini-14 instead of an AR?  :facepalm: (just curious) 

Before that, my suburban defense rifle was a Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum.  Both have nice walnut stocks instead of black plastic, and neither one looks scary, but the Mini has a barrel shroud and a flash suppressor so I guess that makes it "evil" anyway. (It's a high-grade GB model, not sure why it doesn't have a bayonet lug)

Dad recently ranted about how he wished he had gone that route instead of the two AR's.

I told him we can still do the mini 14, and the main reason he got ARs in the first place is still valid (because everyone has one, and in SHTF sceniro, comminality is a good reason to have the darn things)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

birdman

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
Dad recently ranted about how he wished he had gone that route instead of the two AR's.

I told him we can still do the mini 14, and the main reason he got ARs in the first place is still valid (because everyone has one, and in SHTF sceniro, comminality is a good reason to have the darn things)

The commonality reason is also a good reason to go with 300BLK vice whisper or 7.62x39 uppers, total parts commonality (including bolt). 

I am craving a 300BLK upper, preferably piston driven.  I wonder how quiet that bad boy would be if I threw the huge TBAC 338 can I ordered for my lapua on it.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »
And in the military we presume prompt resupply, and that you've got assets at your disposal such as the rest of your squad, air support, artillery.  If it's just you vs. whoever, you've got no presumption of the calvary arriving anytime soon.   

Point of order:

Cavalry
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 08:32:53 AM »
And quite often military personnel will carry more ammo than they're officially 'supposed' to.

This.

Whenever I went outside the wire, I had 13 magazines for my M4 on my body, five HEDP on my body, and approximately 30 more m4 mags and a duffel full of HEDP in the truck.

This was in addition to the five mags I had for my pistol, which was of course an m9 and not an XD45 because that would have been against the rules.

And those mags were most assuredly not loaded with 230 grain gold dots
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »
Dt, do you have holsters and mag carriers for your handgun?  Do you constantly unload your jhp from your mags for training or practice?

Illinois does not have legal CC; so no, I never spent the money on something I can't legally use where it would be useful. I hope Illinois  has good CC by summer (best possible scenario), in that case - shopping spree.

I train where time and budget allows. The range I go to is a private club, one fee for year long use. No hourly charges and more than enough room to practice any firearm I want, at any distance up to 300yds, for as long as I want. So I never feel rushed during practice to save money.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »
Point of order:

Cavalry

Point of order:
Your mom.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 08:48:25 AM »
Dt, do you have holsters and mag carriers for your handgun?  Do you constantly unload your jhp from your mags for training or practice?

Last range trip I put my 1911 mag on the table and it somehow got mixed in with my range mags.  My buddy was all  :O when I told him that cost $1.20 a round....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 09:06:52 AM »
Last range trip I put my 1911 mag on the table and it somehow got mixed in with my range mags.  My buddy was all  :O when I told him that cost $1.20 a round....
It's good to cycle that ammo from time to time anyway.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »
Am I the only one who bought a Mini-14 instead of an AR?  Face Palm! (just curious) 

No.  I had both a Mini-14 and Mini-30.  Neither could hit the broad side of a barn from inside. 

Sold one to buy a SLR-95, which grouped considerably better than the Ruger.

The other got sold to buy a Remington 700 PSS.  I already had a Colt Comeptition HBAR. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:46 AM »

I'm not worried about 'scary'.

I spent enough time with the AR platform that even after not owning one for years, it was like picking right back up with an old friend when I built mine.  My carbine handles like a dream compared to my ole A2 from the glory days.

I've shot the mini and didn't like it.  The one I shot was finicky about seating magazines, and not very accurate. 
JD