Author Topic: Why pick violence as the major criteria?  (Read 3136 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Why pick violence as the major criteria?
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/life-as-a-nonviolent-psychopath/282271/

Kinda-sorta my life story as well, just without the exotic trips as an adult.  Did get to do a fair number as a pre-teen/teen.

So what's the big deal with focusing on violence as the big bad bugaboo about being psychotic psychopathic?  In case the good doctor and his ilk have not noticed, lawyers and used car salesmen and the President all rank lower in public approval than murderers.

For anybody that's interested in the subject I recommend Adrian Raine's The Anatomy of Violence, especially for his documentation on nature vs. nurture and the plasticity of psychopathy.  (Yes, it's a "popular science" book but a good place to begin finding your way to and through the "hard science" research.)

Without access to brain scans I'm guessing that at least 25% of APS meet both the DSM-V and Robert Hare's definition of psychopathy.  Brain scans are only likely to find the more hidden ones.

stay safe.

ETA: runaway fingers typed the wrong syndrome.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Why pick violence as the major criteria?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:26:09 PM »
Without access to brain scans I'm guessing that at least 25% of APS meet both the DSM-V and Robert Hare's definition of psychopathy. 

So, what is said definition?
Formerly sumpnz

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:41 PM »

Is Google broken?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-psychopath-means/  - and I disagree with their statement that physical violence is always present.  See my post above for why.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:52:53 PM »
Is Google broken?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-psychopath-means/  - and I disagree with their statement that physical violence is always present.  See my post above for why.

stay safe.

Well, that explains a few things... =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 04:41:46 AM »
Is Google broken?

stay safe.

Favorite part of that article, on the response to Inuit 'kunlangeta'(psychopaths) - “Somebody would have pushed him off the ice when nobody else was looking.”

I figure that there are plenty of psychopaths out there who follow the rules of society because it's such a pain to NOT follow them.  I don't fit many of the definitions(unsocial, for one), but I term it 'the social contract'.  I agree to not murder, rape, steal and such as the price for entry/remaining within society and I get to benefit from said society - easy access to water, food, shelter, medical care, and entertainment.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:42:31 AM »
Very interesting read. Hope sis doesn't see it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:18:27 AM »
Very interesting read. Hope sis doesn't see it

I thought only vampires were afraid of mirrors.  =D

stay safe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 07:27:13 AM »
I thought only vampires were afraid of mirrors.  =D

stay safe.

If she reads it the nephew's won't be allowed to visit.  I am already in trouble for trying to get them to tryout new stungun for me

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:28:41 AM »
Favorite part of that article, on the response to Inuit 'kunlangeta'(psychopaths) - “Somebody would have pushed him off the ice when nobody else was looking.”
:rofl:
Its the same as the airlock and pressure suit 'accidents' described in TMIAHM.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 08:08:10 AM »
If he is changing his behavior for his family members then I question how far down the spectrum he really is regarding being a psychopath. Especially combined with the lack of violent tendencies. Kudos to him for taking some responsibility for his behavior and making efforts to change.

Of course psychopath is just a label. The range and spectrum of human personality traits and all their subtleties is vast. One can demonstrate some psychopathic behaviors without clinically being considered a psychopath I suspect.

Some folks may welcome such a diagnosis as it would justify their narcissistic way of going through life. Much cooler being a psychopath than just a run of the mill narcissist  :laugh:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 08:45:25 AM »

A bunch of behavioral markers. 

Mom isn't around, or I'd ask her.  Looking back, I must have been a weird kid.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 10:18:41 AM »
I would caution about talking anything in the last seceral DSMs too seriously, given that they have become politically influenced.  In addition, the latest DSM-V also was also compiled in secret, with the authors/editors forcing nondisclosure agreements on participants.  Not exactly a transparent process open to inquiry and discussion.

It is truly a shame, as it is a legitimate and necessary field of study.  
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 11:23:12 AM »
I agree that violent tendencies should not be the focus when talking of pyschopathy.  In answer to the question of why; I'd have to say it's because violence has the potential to have the most detrimental effect on individuals and society as a whole. 

IMO the salient issue with pyschopaths is the lack of empathy, or often acknowledgement that others have validity or even exist.  A significant lack of emotional involvement in their own lives is probably the reason for this lack of empathy.  It's hard for a person to care about the plight of others when they themselves don't particularly care about their own existence, or the ending thereof.  Psychopaths have little or no emotional response, and have a tendency to see others as being puzzlingly emotional.  The author is making an attempt to pretend like he cares in order to please those around him that do care. 

I imagine that a pyschopath might engage in violence in order to try to feel something, anything, even horror is better than . . . nothing.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
....  The author is making an attempt to pretend like he cares in order to please those around him that do care.

Onceyou learn to fake sincerity, the rest is all downhill. 

I imagine that a pyschopath might engage in violence in order to try to feel something, anything, even horror is better than . . . nothing.

We may have a winner here.

stay safe.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
It's been said the secret to success is sincerity.  Once you can fake that you've got it made. . .

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »
It's been said the secret to success is sincerity.  Once you can fake that you've got it made. . .

"I'll keep it short and sweet. Family, religion, friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business."

- C.M. Burns
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."