Author Topic: Why Scandanavian prisons are superior  (Read 15388 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Why Scandanavian prisons are superior
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2014, 09:26:55 PM »
http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/689/a-multi-state-analysis-of-correctional-boot-camp-outcomes-identifying-vocational-rehabilitation-as-a-complement-to-shock-incarceration

Hmmm....

My summary:  'Boot Camp' Graduates are out quicker, but are about equally likely to re-offend.  Getting out an average of 1 year quicker, it saves the state money, on average.
Hidden within:  Offenders that are employed are significantly less likely to offend.

One thing I didn't see studied was, what would happen if we had a control group that served the same time?  In this study, it was 'traditional sentence' vs 'significantly shorter boot camp'.  What if we tossed another test in there, 'significantly shorter traditional sentence'?  Would it make a difference?  Going by my psychology experience - probably not.  The more disassociated the punishment is from the act, the less effective it is.  To put it bluntly - the psychological effect(IE deterrence) of an extra day/month/year of incarceration is drastically less effective than the first.  From a deterrence/recidivism standpoint, we're already far beyond 'effective' in sentencing periods.

So if we put in a program to make sure that released convicts are employed profitably we'd really reduce crime amongst them.  As a corollary to this, making sure that people are profitably employed BEFORE they commit the crime would be cheaper*.  Fix some of the issues that block them from working (crazy regulations, minimum wage, etc...) and we'd be better off.

Oh, and to be more specific about lead - I don't blame it on crime in general, but violent crime specifically.  It helps explain why crime spiked the worst in cities, and subsided there, with the effects in rural and suburban areas were much less.

What has brought crime down has been incarcerating those who commit a disproportionate number of crimes.

Excepting, of course, that many prisons are now having trouble keeping beds full, to the point that we even have empty prisons.  Crime rates continue to drop.

Maybe we've improved at locking up only the would be repeat offenders?

*Court and prison be expensive.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
Leaving folks on the street is expensive. And fatal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2014, 09:42:03 PM »
Leaving folks on the street is expensive. And fatal

No kidding. 

HUD secretary: $40k/year.  Link is to politifact that breaks it down as 'mostly true'; IE the dude was using somewhat incorrect data that would be the cost of a higher-cost subset of homeless, but other studies produce similar numbers(not selecting for that subset), and the number is so old anyways that the real number is probably higher now.
Orlando Sentinal says it's $31k per individual in central Florida alone.  And it'd only cost $10k/year to provide basic shelter&care.

Oh, and recent studies are showing that providing shelter BEFORE requiring them to 'dry out' works better then requiring them to 'dry out' outside before allowing them into shelter.  I wonder why?

• friends
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
Getting high is the root cause of most incarcerations. If not directly then like in my case where I had to solve a financial conundrum. Resolve the imbalance between a low 6 figure dope habit and a mid 5 figure income.
It's why I favor a broad all you can eat form of legalization . And Darwin can straighten it out.
It's will not be pretty though.

The job thing is the key.
And we also have to get real , a certain fairly large group is beyond redemption.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
http://projects.seattletimes.com/2014/prison-labor/1/

Just this morning, the Seattle Times published an investigation of the Washington DOC prison industries system.  It is apparently crap: a money pit that does not help inmates.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
. . . It's why I favor a broad all you can eat form of legalization . And Darwin can straighten it out . . .
If you're saying what I think you're saying here . . . we may just have found something to agree on. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2014, 10:54:11 AM »
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

• friends
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
If you're saying what I think you're saying here . . . we may just have found something to agree on. 

Yes
My objections are to the farce that is the current" movement" I have been all you can eat since before curt schmoke. Since the late 70's
It's all legal and free or as close to it as possible. Now we have to figure out what to do with all the dea etc that will be outa work.

Drug abuse is a largely self curing problem . We have managed to foul it up by a system of laws that make it worse.
I would favor Chinese style justice for those who attempt to still smuggle or deal after it's legal. Including the organ harvest

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
http://projects.seattletimes.com/2014/prison-labor/1/

Just this morning, the Seattle Times published an investigation of the Washington DOC prison industries system.  It is apparently crap: a money pit that does not help inmates.

Prisons were not instituted to help criminals, but the rest of the citizenry.  Don't give a tinker's damn for the inmates' personal growth.

Would not be a money pit if they were required to be self-supporting.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2014, 01:48:03 PM »
They were once much closer to self supporting.
I don't mind some sorta middle ground between the old days and today.
Once upon a time the religious groups had to sue the county to get them to allow GED classes. The churches paid for all materials instructors. All they needed was the county to bring em in small groups to already existing classrooms. The county fought it

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »
Prisons were not instituted to help criminals, but the rest of the citizenry.  Don't give a tinker's damn for the inmates' personal growth.

I care about their personal growth and rehab to the extent that when they come out, as most of them do, they can get a job and pay taxes.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »
I care about their personal growth and rehab to the extent that when they come out, as most of them do, they can get a job and pay taxes.

Good luck with that.  We are talking mostly about a population that when it is not in the criminal economy is on the welfare teat and breeding more welfare teat suckers.  $30k a year?  Sounds like a bargain next to the whole panoply of welfare, medicaid, and other welfare programs.

Medicaid Alone:
Medicaid Budget   / Total Medicaid Users   / CostPerUser
4.49E+12   / 68,039,582   / $66,049.79

$30k/year inside prison. $66k/year for medicaid alone outside of prison.

Sources form 30sec googling:
http://kff.org/medicaid/state-indicator/total-medicaid-enrollment/
http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/NHE-Fact-Sheet.html
(Yes I am aware of the year mismatch and willing to state that the cost for a free person on medicaid is a mere 2x of the cost to incarcerate someone.)

Screw it.  Go on medicaid? Go to prison(1)...where my tax $$$ will provide health care, food, and shelter. 

You want them to be motivated to get a job?
1. Make incarceration really hurt, such that they never want to go back.  Hard.  Labor.  "Can you say, 'Cool Hand Luke,' boys and girls?"
2. Strip all benefits, such that folk go hungry and die from gangrene if they don;t work enough to pay for the basics.

(1) And get sterilized.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2014, 04:43:43 PM »
Hmm, and the KFF folks say that the average Medicaid spending per enrollee is an average of $ 5800 for the whole country in 2011: http://kff.org/medicaid/state-indicator/medicaid-spending-per-enrollee/

• friends
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »
Make some form of work release a requirement for parole

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
Hmm, and the KFF folks say that the average Medicaid spending per enrollee is an average of $ 5800 for the whole country in 2011: http://kff.org/medicaid/state-indicator/medicaid-spending-per-enrollee/

The numbers for their own website come up to $6,101.66/enrollee
total_medicaid_spending   -   total_medicaid_enrollment   -   spending_per_enrollee
$415,154,234,831    -   68,039,582   -   $6,101.66

Must have input 4.49E+12 when 4.49E+11 was the proper numerator above.

Luckily, I did not yet commit seppuku in shame of my country and gov't for spending $66k/year on each social parasite.

But, I still may break out the sharp knife, given that the total per welfare household averaged over $60k/year/household in 2012:
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/over-60000-welfare-spentper-household-poverty_657889.html
New data compiled by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee shows that, last year, the United States spent over $60,000 to support welfare programs per each household that is in poverty. The calculations are based on data from the Census, the Office of Management and Budget, and the Congressional Research Services.

"According to the Census’s American Community Survey, the number of households with incomes below the poverty line in 2011 was 16,807,795," the Senate Budget Committee notes. "If you divide total federal and state spending by the number of households with incomes below the poverty line, the average spending per household in poverty was $61,194 in 2011." 

This dollar figure is almost three times the amount the average household on poverty lives on per year. "If the spending on these programs were converted into cash, and distributed exclusively to the nation’s households below the poverty line, this cash amount would be over 2.5 times the federal poverty threshold for a family of four, which in 2011 was $22,350 (see table in this link)," the Republicans on the Senate Budget Committee note.

If we are going to continue with massive support of the non-working class, as a taxpayer I insist we declare taking welfare benefits a felony worthy of incarceration and round them up as a cost-saving measure.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »
You cannot commit seppuku, Rooster.  We need all the law-abiding, productive, good child-raising, tax paying citizens that we can get.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Why Scandanavian prisons are superior
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
You cannot commit seppuku, Rooster.  We need all the law-abiding, productive, good child-raising, tax paying citizens that we can get.
Of course.

We need to keep producing milk for the teet
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »
We need all the law-abiding, productive, good child-raising, tax paying citizens that we can get.

AKA Suckers

Somebody's gotta pay for all the Obamaphones and spinning rimz, plus the Escalade notes, yo.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »

Eastern State Penitentiary - "Designed by John Haviland and opened on October 25, 1829, Eastern State is considered to be the world's first true penitentiary. Eastern State's revolutionary system of incarceration, dubbed the "Pennsylvania system" or separate system, encouraged separate confinement (the warden was legally required to visit every inmate every day, and the overseers were mandated to see each inmate three times a day) as a form of rehabilitation."

Even the founding fathers were concerned about reforming said prisoners. 

Would not be a money pit if they were required to be self-supporting.

Problems:
1.  As stated earlier, if they were truly self supporting it'd provide even more cause to send people there
2.  It turns out to be very difficult to make and keep them self-supporting(See Washington DC's experience)
3.  Failing at being self-supporting, why shouldn't we concentrate on making it as cheap as possible - IE reforming them so we can kick prisoners out sooner and not expect them back?

Bingo.

$30k/year inside prison. $66k/year for medicaid alone outside of prison.

Roo_ster, you do realize who much of that 68M on medicaid are, right?  The seriously disabled, IE the people who are most expensive for medical care. 

Besides, using your sources I'm coming up with $6,604/year, not $66k.

You want them to be motivated to get a job?

The problem with your plan of action:  They can be as motivated as hell to get a job, but in today's job market they aren't going to get a job unless they meet certain other requirements - IE GED and other basic skills especially given the detriment being a felon can impose.

1. Make incarceration really hurt, such that they never want to go back.  Hard.  Labor.  "Can you say, 'Cool Hand Luke,' boys and girls?"
2. Strip all benefits, such that folk go hungry and die from gangrene if they don;t work enough to pay for the basics.

Weren't you the one that called me 'mechanistic' and implied that I was 1 step from putting people into Gulags and running death camps?

Problem with your step 2: Before people put up with that they will resort to more crime, ergo you and me getting robbed and such more often.  I'd like to avoid that.

If we are going to continue with massive support of the non-working class, as a taxpayer I insist we declare taking welfare benefits a felony worthy of incarceration and round them up as a cost-saving measure.

We're getting a bit off topic here, I stated in the beginning that I'd support reforms all over the place.  Besides, it'd cost money.  It's $30k+ per PERSON for imprisoning them.  It's $60k per HOUSEHOLD.  Also, not the 'poverty line' disclaimer - the poverty line isn't some magical line where you get $60k of support when you're below it, and nothing above it.

There are plenty of households above the poverty line receiving support, and there are numerous households below it that aren't. 

You also have to figure that paying all the administrators and case workers to poke their noses into the affairs of those poor enough to receive assistance costs money.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
QFT.  The criminal subset is stuck in this cycle by cultural decisions and norms in thier communities.

There are essentially no problems faced by America at home that are not purely cultural.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
Yes. Now I am gonna go buy my lotto ticket

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »
It's been a long while since I recommended folks go read Samenow & Yokelson's "The Criminal Mentality".  It sounds like it's time to do so again.

They are not like us.  They do not think in the same way that we do.  They do not hold the same values that we do.

The greatest successes Samenow & Yokelson had with inmates was not in rehabilitating them but in convincing them to "fake" being square for as long as possible.  And then doing it for longer and longer periods of time till the inmate was essentially living like a square all the time.  (But intensive interviewing showed the inmates still held the same values as before, but found "playing the game" enjoyable as in causing less harassment in their lives.)  Just about anybody can fake it for as much as 90 days, but darned few can do that for 6 months.  That was Samenow & Yokelson's minimum time period before recommending consideration for release.

For the rest, getting caught and doing time were just the costs of their lifestyle.  They expected it, saw no way to permanently avoid it, and thus gave had little incentive to try to change.

My favorite parole interview story was what the Chairman of the Parole Board told every inmate being granted parole: "For years you have been promising that you will turn your life around and be good and obey the law and all that crap.  And for years you have never had to make good on those promises because we turned you down.  Well, now you have to make good on all those promises you made to us and to your mother and wife/girlfriend and kids.  Good luck.  Because if you fail you will be coming back and it's very unlikely we will grant parole again."

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »
vaskid:

The Criminal Personality costs a fortune on Amazon.  a later work, revised in 2014, can be had on kindle for a sawbuck:
http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Criminal-Mind-Revised-Updated-ebook/dp/B00KAFX8FY/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418691490&sr=1-5&keywords=the+criminal+personality
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2014, 09:26:48 PM »
They are not like us.  They do not think in the same way that we do.  They do not hold the same values that we do.

I've met plenty of them, interacted with them.

To describe how different they are, in a way the common person can understand, is difficult for me to put into words, but one understands it once they interact with the criminal class

The excusers and enablers do not get this, they hold their hands over their ears and go "Na na na I can't hear you!" when you start talking about how the criminal culture really is. A good example is all the people who are not of the criminal class but are protesting Michael Brown's death. Contrary to all logic and reason, they insist he was a good person. They completely ignore that he was the kind of person who would have beaten the *expletive deleted*it out of them or slit their throat if the thought crossed his mind. They chant that he was executed by the po-leece over a few cigars, yet he would happily assault them over a handful of cigars, as he proved with the store clerk during the crime. He then assaulted an officer and lost the fight...yet if he had not fought the officer, he would still be alive and probably out of jail fairly quickly.

It amuses me that sheeple rush to defend the wolf and call for the sheepdog or farmer to be lynched, yet then next week are screaming for protection from the next wolf.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:34:53 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2014, 12:08:07 AM »
It's been a long while since I recommended folks go read Samenow & Yokelson's "The Criminal Mentality".  It sounds like it's time to do so again.

Not sure whether this was directed at me or not.  Never said they had a mentality like us(non-criminal) types.

I've variously said that prison deters non-criminals, it doesn't do much to deter current criminal types, for a variety of reasons from 'wants to go to prison to show how tough they are' to 'cares for the next hit more than the chance of prison', often with a compounding of broken probability assessment, IE 'I won't get caught!'. 

Get them in, figure out where they're broken/how their thought processes go, assign to appropriate program(s) that have the best chance of succeeding at them not committing more crimes.