Author Topic: Why such controversy over Ann Coulter?  (Read 4762 times)

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Why such controversy over Ann Coulter?
« on: November 22, 2006, 11:59:34 AM »
Here or at THR, it seems no one can bring up Ann Coulter without a lot of excited controversy.  I think she makes some good points, but I'm not sure she's worth all the attention.  One side says she gets all the facts wrong.  The other side says she's factual but still just on a level with Michael Moore.  Some people say she's both.  Then some other people think she's a god-send.  And strangely enough, other people spend time and money to read her hard-bound (therefore over-priced) books, when they could be reading books by people with more credibility.  Weekly columns about current events provide perspective.  Books by columnists are just demagoguery. (sp?) 

What's the big deal?

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Re: Why such controversy over Ann Coulter?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 12:20:22 PM »
Most of the time she is thinking about the same as I am.  She is a little more 'in your face' with her commentary than most pundits.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 12:30:20 PM »
Ann Coulter makes her living by selling books. In order to sell books, she needs to create interest by writing columns and appearing on TV talk shows.

She has made some very good points. She's also made some poor ones.

Over the years, she seems to have become more shrill, as she needs to continue to generate attention.

I always enjoy her writing, even if I don't agree with her.

Ron

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:34:17 PM »
I'm not a freeper but I like the tradition. A pic must be posted.

Ron

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 12:44:34 PM »
To answer the question.

If you don't agree with her she is abrasive, condescending and mean.

If you agree with her, as I often do, she is just a little over the top but on my side of the aisle, so to speak.

molonlabe

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 01:00:46 PM »
I always liked her but her last book lost me as a fan. Her tirade on evolution was inaccurate and over the top.
The United States Constitution
? 1791. All Rights Reserved.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 01:24:33 PM »
I find her quite annoying, even when she's saying something I agree with.
For entertainment purposes only.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »
I always liked her but her last book lost me as a fan. Her tirade on evolution was inaccurate and overt the top.
Isn't that her style on everything? 

That picture comes up in every Coulter thread on these gun boards.  Anybody know the back-story?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 05:12:12 PM »
I have never bought her book but I read her columns sometimes. 

She spends her time dumping on liberals.  They don't like it so it must be controversial.  It doesn't matter if she is right or not.  Not all liberals take that attitude, but many do.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lobotomy Boy

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 06:57:20 PM »
I used to think she was kind of hot until my buddy pointed out that she has an Adams apple.
Raging against tyranny since 2006.

SomeKid

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 07:12:46 PM »
http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/photo.cgi?image=coulter124stitch.jpg

I am 22, I would hit that. Then I would feed her, I like thin chicks and all, but the woman is seriously in need of meat.

As an aside, I have yet to hear anyone ever point out a known lie she told, or even a glaring factual error. To date, I know of one she acknowledged herself. (Calling someones grandfather the father, yah, end of the world mistake and she was honest enough to acknowledge it.) You would think if she was just a pathetic right wing Franken people could point out her screw ups.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 08:59:46 PM »
crt360 said:

I find her quite annoying, even when she's saying something I agree with.

Yup, I agree.

I am 22, I would hit that.

You're 22-not exactly the Age of Discernment.   laugh

Bones are for dogs.  Meat is for men.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 01:49:05 AM »
I'm not a freeper but I like the tradition. A pic must be posted.

[parishilton]"That's hot"[/parishilton]

The picture anyway. If she could express her opinions in a Laura Bush sounding attitude it would be smokin' hot.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 05:22:43 AM »
I agree on hitting it....I also agree that woman needs a steak or something

that level of thinness just doesn't come naturaly to someone on a healthy diet  grin
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Lobotomy Boy

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 07:21:13 AM »
Given the size of that Adams apple, aren't you guys afraid that in the process of "hitting it," you might discover a pantload of man tackle?
Raging against tyranny since 2006.

SomeKid

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 09:03:16 AM »
LB,

No. Couple of reasons. If she WERE a dude, someone would have found out and posted evidence. As is, it is just liberals bashing her with whatever they can get there hands on. Secondly, since I haven't been around her in person, and given a chance to feel it, I think what everyone is seeing is her trachea, but she is so blasted thin it makes it look huge. Hence the reason why she needs meat.

However, to put the issue to rest, I hereby volunteer to give her a full body inspection, to see if any evidence of non femality can be found.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 01:03:13 PM »
Maybe she has a goiter. grin

I like what she says and how she says it.  She is the conservative counterbalance to the shrill, nasty, misrepresentations, out right lies and character assassination by the Left.  Tit for Tat, says I.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 02:27:09 PM »
Her law degree notwithstanding, she tends to defend her talking points with anecdotes and half-baked logic rather than carefully-reasoned argument or scientific studies.  She can get away with that because her audience is already predisposed to agree with her.

She is an embarrassment to all decent social conservatives (...and there aren't very many decent, vocal social conservatives, and IMO those who do exist tend to be misidentified as something other than social conservatives).

She can't combat the shrill lies of the left with shrill lies of her own.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 02:44:20 PM »
People would dislike Ann Coulter even if she was a bleeding heart liberal.

She is blunt, to the point, and not even close to being PC. She is acerbic and is assertive to the point that many would consider aggressive.

Add to her qualities the one pointed out by Tyme that:
Her law degree notwithstanding, she tends to defend her talking points with anecdotes and half-baked logic rather than carefully-reasoned argument or scientific studies.
add in today's atmosphere of, can't we all just get along and you've got a recipe for a pundit with a highly polarized audience.

Oh - and by the way - how any red blooded male can find that walking skeleton with skin attractive <shudder> is beyond me. Each to his own I guess. Wink
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 02:48:30 PM »
Werewolf, Im a 21 year old male my standards aren't incedably high  laugh

I was just kidding, I prefer...shall we say....well fed women.  But I'd still hit Ann  grin
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 03:01:44 PM »
Werewolf, Im a 21 year old male my standards aren't incedably high  laugh

I was just kidding, I prefer...shall we say....well fed women.  But I'd still hit Ann  grin

grin

21 - That explains the attraction. When I was 21 my only standard was human female. Why exclude a potential.

At 54 - well - I've learned that human and female can have quite a few more filters added and one can still be left with a quite sizable pool of potentials - just don't tell my wife. Wink
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 03:36:19 PM »
well...my standards are a tad higher then yours were at my age aparently

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 03:55:06 PM »
Shoot, when I was 21 I'd go for a rock pile if I thought there was a female under it.

Some of the time, regarding Coulter, I wonder whether she engenders the dislike because she is simply mouthy and some folks resent a mouthy woman.

Frankly, I believe we are much more polarized in America than we should be.  It's not surprising though.  And I'm not sure it's healthy.  Time will tell.  My observation about this comes from the fact that I was an adult in the '60's and sentient.  I remember wondering back then what our country would look like in 30 or 40 years given the actions of the wide variety of activists at that time.  The seeds that were planted in the 60's have given rise to a full blown culture war presently.  The activists were not dumb.  They quieted down a bit, put on a suit, appeared to blend in with the status quo and then took over our political institutions, our media, our educational institutions and some of our religious ones. 

The rise of talk radio, the opportunity that the internet, cable and satellite tv presented, fortunately provides a medium for those who object to what the so called social progressives stand for and disseminate: PC, Statism, judicial activism, forcing the loss of freedom to obtain "safety", animal rights,  extreme environmentalism and the destruction of borders and nations as entities.

It should be no surprise to anyone that there would be voices like Ann Coulter.  In fact, they are necessary.  You may not like her.  Call her a propagandist if you wish.  You would not be wrong, actually.  But unless there are strident and insistent voices on the right, eventually we'd go down, as the poet said, "...not with a bang, but a whimper".

No thanks.  To Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin etc., I say you go girl.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 04:13:42 PM »
She's blonde but not dumb, that ticks off a lot of brunettes you know.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
what controversy?
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 04:51:44 PM »
what controversy?

She is an attractive, witty and well informed
writer of the truth.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."