Author Topic: Why SpaceX is Building the BFR Out of Stainless Steel  (Read 473 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Why SpaceX is Building the BFR Out of Stainless Steel
« on: January 24, 2019, 12:12:16 PM »
Some interesting reasoning. And here I thought they were only doing it to make it look like the front cover spaceships of all the Sci-Fi books I read as a kid.  :laugh:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a25953663/elon-musk-spacex-bfr-stainless-steel/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Why SpaceX is Building the BFR Out of Stainless Steel
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 12:27:14 PM »
I love how it's intended to have active cooling, by SWEATING METHANE.

It's going to look like the invading ships from ID4 when it reenters Earth's atmosphere:  A cloud of fire, from which it will emerge in the last second.  But instead of hovering over a city, it will settle itself onto the ground riding on a fountain of flame.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »
Because they're really time machines?

(The cryogenic properties of stainless steel is a brilliant catch. Bravo, Mr. Musk.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 03:49:11 PM »
Part of it is that SpaceX is very carefully managing reentry speeds and profiles. If you budget more fuel mass for de-orbit at slower speeds and better angles, you can get rid of the mass if Shuttle tiles or similar materials.

Thermal protection systems are dead weight except for a few minutes of maximum frictional heating, compression, and thermal radiation from plasma etc.

So being clever and getting rocket parts that are doing some semblance of "rocket stuff" during launch, that can also be pressed into service as thermal protection is a very good thing for mass fraction, payload, and the bottom line.

So if there's cryogenic fuel, pressurizing helium, or maybe even LOx that's going to be used for landing burns anyway, using it for regenerative cooling before it comes out of the engines is getting kind of a two-fer. The shiny stainless will also simply reflect a large portion of the thermal radiation from the compressed plasma shock radiation. 

Interesting side note,  both the Apollo Capsule and the Space Shuttle were designed wrong, for their intended angle of attack and center of gravity/stability on their chosen reentry paths. Because the ideal gas law that's good for most aircraft breaks down at hypersonic speeds, and at temperatures in excess of 500 degrees F, and really diverges with plasma at over 2000 deg. F at Mach 20+.  Because the exact figures for the "real gas law" that's accurate under even extreme conditions, the computing power and correct math didn't exist during Apollo or the final design phase of the Shuttle, so they had to use approximations which turned out to be off more than predicted.

Think like the difference between Newtonian gravitation, and Einstein's space-time/relativity.  Newton is good enough,  very accurate even in long range circumstances like a transfer orbit from Earth to other planets in the Solar System. But it diverges in extreme conditions like large/steep gravity wells, high speeds at fractions of light, or where extreme precision is needed like the GPS satellites.

So I am guessing that SpaceX, starting from scratch, with zero 1960s-70s legacy hardware to constrain them, can get by with much closer to exactly what they need for thermal management on reentry, with a safety margin,  than earlier craft.

As to the leaking and holes in the fuselage, there's precedent for that too. The SR71 had razor slits that leaked fuel. It was just for the thermal expansion of the titanium at Mach 3+  not active cooling, as far as I know, but it's a similar idea.

So far, SpaceX's iterative physical fast-failure development  model,  more akin to the "Space Race", if not actually more aggressive, definitely seems to be outpacing the old school  big-Aerospace/NASA model of exhaustive paper and computer analysis, and multiple layers of bureaucracy to manage it.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »
So if there's cryogenic fuel, pressurizing helium, or maybe even LOx that's going to be used for landing burns anyway, using it for regenerative cooling before it comes out of the engines is getting kind of a two-fer. The shiny stainless will also simply reflect a large portion of the thermal radiation from the compressed plasma shock radiation. 

The plan (as far as redditing fanbois could figure out) a month or so back when stainless first became a topic of discussion, was for possible regenerative cooling and bringing the warmed fuel back into the fuel tank to be delivered to the engines... but that has since shifted to microperforations in the skin of the craft to expel the warmed methane in order to dump more heat.  I don't think that qualifies as regenerative cooling since it's no longer a closed loop system (until burnt for propulsion, at least).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_cooling_(rocket)

Regenerative cooling, in the context of rocket engine design, is a configuration in which some or all of the propellant is passed through tubes, channels, or in a jacket around the combustion chamber or nozzle to cool the engine. This is effective because the fuel (and sometimes the oxidizer) are good coolants. The heated propellant is then fed into a special gas generator or injected directly into the main combustion chamber.

Without bringing the heated propellant back into a gas generator or into the combustion chamber, it's no longer regenerative, though it does qualify as active cooling (as opposed to passive-ablative cooling of traditional approaches).  This has more in common with the TKS aircraft de-icing system (ethelyne glycol micro-pores in aircraft wings) than regenerative cooling.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!