Author Topic: Why people think Americans are stupid...  (Read 3762 times)

Tecumseh

• friend
Why people think Americans are stupid...
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:12:02 PM »
http://www.shoutfile.com/v/gSfSsCpR/Why_People_Believe_Americans_Are_Stupid

I am just shocked at some of these people.  While I am going to concede that many people probably knew the answers it is just shameful that some people think Utah is a country on its own.  Or that people want to invade a country they never heard of.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Why people think Americans are stupid...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:08:06 PM »
You're shocked?  That's a very old gag.  Leno and Hannity do it every week, among others.

But I think there are a few things to keep in mind when you see those stupid people.  First of all, they're not showing you the intelligent and well-spoken people they interviewed.  They're only interested in the dumb ones.  That's not dishonest - they're not claiming to be taking a scientific poll.  It's understood they're doing this for entertainment purposes. 

Then keep in mind these people are not nearly so dumb as they look - they're just nervous.  Nervous people say stupid things and can't remember countries that start with U. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:58:46 PM »
I started to watch the Stupid Americans clip, but got distracted by the one of a hyena eating a giraffe from the inside out (and having fun doing it!). Sorry.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:54:20 PM »
I am just shocked at some of these people.

I'm not.  Dismayed, yes.  It has been my sad experience that the majority of folks in the nation are like unto those poor sots being made fun of in this video.  As a people we have become dumbed down and dirt ignorant of events, facts and the world outside of our daily lives.  The people we encounter on forums such as APS and its kindred are the exception rather than the rule.  It is not for lack of ability though, but rather for lack of guidance in the formative years of a persons intellectual development.  Only a few can be a Stephen Hawking of the cerebral arts, but many can be a Jack LaLanne of those arts if they but put the effort into it.

But that requires a measure of effort and dedication, and HEY!  Brittany is on CNN flashing her goodies!!!!  Gots to go!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 11:52:36 PM »
I think one of the most dismaying developments of recent years was that even the last bastion of intellectually challenging science TV, Nova, with its quiet demeanor and fascinatingly deep presentation, has now become Nova ScienceNOW! with jumpcuts, speedup cuts, dumbed-down repetition of small words, and grinding metal-guitar soundtracks.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 02:22:13 AM »
jumpcuts, speedup cuts, dumbed-down repetition of small words, and grinding metal-guitar soundtracks.

People think I should have cable because they think I would like the discovery, science, and history channels. Instead I find them like fingernails on a chalkboard due to phenomena like you listed. I seem to remember the programming on the Millitary channel being noninsultingly constructed, but there's only so much of that you can watch.

Read a book.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 02:22:51 AM »
You are shocked about how stupid your fellow citizens are?  You must not get out much. grin

The Teacher Unions can hold their heads up high for grinding out such morons.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 02:34:53 AM »
Nope, the parents should be proud.  They're the ones that must instill a sense of education and scholarship, not the teachers.  If the kids aren't getting it at home, they're not going to "get it" at school regardless of who's in front of the class.

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 03:03:58 AM »
If you can read this, thank a teacher.

If your fellow citizen is a moron, hold the teachers and their feckless unions responsible.

It's no secret that the teacher unions are out destroy education in this country.  Mission accomplished. police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 04:26:13 AM »
If watching these stupid people depresses you, consider . . .

1. Many of them vote, and their vote counts for just as much as yours.

2. Others run for office . . . and get elected.  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 05:42:18 AM »
If your fellow citizen is a moron, hold the teachers and their feckless unions responsible.
It's no secret that the teacher unions are out destroy education in this country.  Mission accomplished. police

I'll also thank my parents who bought me lots of books and encouraged learning outside of the classroom.
I have yet to see a "moron" who's parents were interested in learning.  I've seen plenty of folks who had scholarly parents, but poor teachers who maintained a life of self-education.

I don't dispute that there's a problem with the education system, but education starts at home.  Otherwise, we're wasting our time with our 3yo.  Maybe we should spend our time watching American Idol instead...

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 06:02:38 AM »

I'll also thank my parents who bought me lots of books and encouraged learning outside of the classroom.
I have yet to see a "moron" who's parents were interested in learning.  I've seen plenty of folks who had scholarly parents, but poor teachers who maintained a life of self-education.

I don't dispute that there's a problem with the education system, but education starts at home.  Otherwise, we're wasting our time with our 3yo.  Maybe we should spend our time watching American Idol instead...

Chris

Go in most people's houses. You won't find classics, or engineering texts, or art books, or literature of any sort around for the kids to discover as they start reading.

You'll find a couple issues of celebrity rags, maybe a dumbed-down "suspense thriller" or two and some atrociously written scandal/romance/angst novels.

Is it any wonder what sort of kids come out of those homes?

One of the first "grownup" books I found at about age 3 or 4 was one called "How Does It Work? : a Practical and Entertaining Guide to the Workings of Everyday Things From Air Conditioners to Zippers" ...and therein learned how the fireplace flue worked and drew, how an air conditioner worked, what a cam was, and many other things.
Even before I could understand all the words, I was fascinated by it. Then later, I found everything from Shakespeare to Larry Niven around on shelves and such, and read them all.

Makes quite a difference.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 06:06:44 AM »
mtnbkr - My youngest son is in kindergarten at a local public school. Recently, he and a few of his classmates were identified as being advanced in math and are now participating in a pull-out program with the school's "gifted" teacher. After the first session, he came home and told me who was in the program with him. Without exception, all of the kids who are "advanced" are also the kids whose parents do the vast majority of volunteering in the classroom.

Coincidence? I think not. I firmly believe that parents' attitudes and efforts are the single most important factor in their kids' education.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 06:19:33 AM »
Quote from: trapperready
Recently, he and a few of his classmates were identified as being advanced in math and are now participating in a pull-out program with the school's "gifted" teacher. After the first session, he came home and told me who was in the program with him. Without exception, all of the kids who are "advanced" are also the kids whose parents do the vast majority of volunteering in the classroom.
I got pulled into one of those programs in elementary school as well.  I was working with computers and even learning BASIC by the 6th grade (1984ish).  My parents weren't very active with the school (both worked full time jobs), but I had all the books I wanted to read, educational toys such as electronics kits, telescopes, etc, and plenty of support.  We always had National Geographic (books and magazines), encyclopedias, books of all types, etc.

I had a mix of good and bad teachers throughout my public school "career", but I credit my parents with my drive to learn. 

Chris

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 06:27:12 AM »
"I firmly believe that parents' attitudes and efforts are the single most important factor in their kids' education."

Yup.  Well-known.  The incentive to learn comes from the home.  And, of course, the "stick to it" part of the perceived drudgery of homework.  Plus the inculcation of the concept of goals, both short- and long-term.

For me, with my grandfather being a school principal in Austin, even the teachers were on my case.  If I didn't do well on a test or during a six-weeks period, I got hammered with, "What would your grandfather think?"

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 06:50:34 AM »
While I will agree with 90% of what everyone says on here there is still some people just cannot learn.  My son and daughter both have the same oppurtunities and guidance from the wife and I, however, my son seems to get things easier and quicker than my daughter.  She struggles and no matter how hard she tries there are some things that she just does not get.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 06:53:53 AM »
Americans stupid?

Heavens no!

Americans aren't stupid for the simple reason that most Americans would have to RISE above their current level to achieve mere stupidity.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 07:05:27 AM »
While I will agree with 90% of what everyone says on here there is still some people just cannot learn.  My son and daughter both have the same oppurtunities and guidance from the wife and I, however, my son seems to get things easier and quicker than my daughter.  She struggles and no matter how hard she tries there are some things that she just does not get.

That's a different issue.  We're talking about willful ignorance. 

Chris

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 08:12:04 AM »

That's a different issue.  We're talking about willful ignorance. 
Chris, you're absolutely right on that one.  BrokenKid is something of an artist, but has a real problem with some of the concepts in her math classes.  I've chewed on her for getting a 'B' in art class (because she got it out of laziness) and praised her for getting a 'B' in Algebra (because she had to work hard to get that 'B').  At first she didn't understand why the same grade was OK sometimes and not others, and I told her that I didn't care what the grade she brought home was, as long as it was a result of her doing her actual best.  Then she got it.

BTW, I was in the GT program in Fairfax County when I was in third-sixth grade, and you and I are almost exactly the same age; did you go to grade school in this area? 

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 08:23:39 AM »
No, I was living in Columbia, Tn at that time.  I didn't move to this area until after college.

Chris

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »
Jay Leno has done it before, those clips put the o in old and boring.
To demonstrate ones lack of general education while pointing with a camera is just
intentionally misleading the spectators and it works in every country not just in the US.

My wife and my dad are teachers and it seems that the good students are getting brighter and fewer while the rest is getting dumb and dumber without ever acknowledging it and this for the last twenty years meaning that we are confronted with already the second generation of those blank looks when talking about anything at all.

Before bad students would look at the teacher when confronted with bad grades thinking why would I learn that, I don't need this. Now they come with their parents
and think it together   

Personally I look for the books in ones livingroom and take it from there...

If only we could put five questions which would tell that a voting person can understand the consequences of his going to the ballots...

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 03:23:35 PM »
Ya ever notice that as a person's ignorance increases, so does their conviction that they are right? It explains a lot about political and religious trends, past and present.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 05:50:20 PM »
Ya ever notice that as a person's ignorance increases, so does their conviction that they are right? It explains a lot about political and religious trends, past and present.

Very wise words.

If I blame my parents for anything, it's for not pushing me. I could have been learning calculus when I was 10. If I even have a kid, I'm going to surround them with material. My parents never did that. It's a good thing I did on my own, but I have so much catching up to do.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 05:59:35 PM »
I firmly believe that parents' attitudes and efforts are the single most important factor in their kids' education.

That has been my experience and conviction as well. I spent 2yrs in a expensive, deserved reputation, private school, and 2yrs at a public "wrong side of town" HS. I found the public school to have equivalent resources (labs etc), equally excited teachers (public HS teacher got my interested in science), and equal opportunity at excelling (AP History, Chem, Calculus).

Yet, the kids at the privates school, on the average, outperformed the public school kids. 'Cause the public attendees had poor teacher resources? NO! Its because of the attitudes at home. An unforntunate percentage of kids at the public school just didn't care- because nobody else cared either.

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 06:03:45 PM »
On topic...

If we're so stupid, then why are we so rich?

We didn't become world leaders 'cause we're a bunch of slack jawed yokels. Our free market system rewards the wise, the rest are moved out of the way. Even the unlucky in our system get second chances and don't stay down long (1-2yrs).

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!