Author Topic: Why people think Americans are stupid...  (Read 3761 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Why people think Americans are stupid...
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »
We are rich because we still have a society that rewards hard work and accomplishment.  We don't have societal classes.  If a poor kid works hard and does well, he can become rich and no one will tell him he can't.    A poor man can work hard and put his kids through school and see his kids do better than him.  I don't know if that attitude is really that prevalent in some other countries.  Certainly in many, the economic system is so bad it is nearly impossible.

I guess we also have a fairly stable economic system and decent rule of law so investment is encouraged rather than discouraged.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 11:25:23 PM »
I ran into the exact same stupidity in Europe.
It is universal
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

mfree

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 06:49:12 AM »
Half the people out there are of below average intelligence*.

*even then, intelligence and education aren't mutually exclusive.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 07:05:31 AM »
I'm surprised no one has blamed me yet.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 07:08:22 AM »
I'm surprised no one has blamed me yet.   smiley

No fistful it is Bush's fault.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 07:32:11 AM »
I would say that it's probably more than half, mfree.

That is, if by "average", you are referring to the mean.

As an aside, intelligence is over-rated.  Intelligence is merely the ability to collect, categorize, and analyze information.  Wisdom is the ability to understand what that information means

In my experience, a wise person of low or average intelligence is far less dangerous to himself and others than an unwise person of high intelligence.

It's the difference between knowing that you can do something, versus knowing whether you should.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
I would say that it's probably more than half, mfree.

That is, if by "average", you are referring to the mean.

As an aside, intelligence is over-rated.  Intelligence is merely the ability to collect, categorize, and analyze information.  Wisdom is the ability to understand what that information means

In my experience, a wise person of low or average intelligence is far less dangerous to himself and others than an unwise person of high intelligence.

It's the difference between knowing that you can do something, versus knowing whether you should.

-BP

Well, I wouldn't say that, exactly. Intelligence can also be the ability to see a problem and come up with a solution quickly. In a lot of situations, that does require the ability to reason, do mathematical operations, and visualize the complex interaction of factors to come up with that solution. An intelligent person will "think quickly", moreso than a so-called slow-witted sort. And yes, it is a survival skill.

Those who are more intelligent are also more able to read and understand the documents of their ancestors, thus learning history, rather than repeating it.

And finally, a more intelligent sort is more able to reason and change their mind when presented with a new set of facts...to absorb and quickly rethink their own position or rationale, rather than blindly denying and clinging to their previous position regardless of new information on changing situations.