Main Forums > Politics

Yes, It Is about Race

(1/11) > >>

roo_ster:
I keep hearing about how the troglodyte "white working class" Democrats "won't vote for Obama."

What I have seen is percentages of the black vote going for BHO in huge majorities sometimes exceeding 90%.

Now, I haven't seen any breakdown of the WWC vote other than "Catholic Democrats" and other proxies for WWC.  In none of those stats have I seen anything as monolithic as the black Democrat vote.

The following article is rife with myopia and misplaced wonderment of the "why won't white Dems vote for a black man?" type:

--- Quote from: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/05/07/2008-05-07_ugly_truth_why_hillary_clinton_wont_quit.html ---Ugly truth why Hillary Clinton won't quit

BY THOMAS M. DeFRANK
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 4:00 AM
Hillary Clinton Raedle/Getty

Hillary Clinton

While the case for Hillary Clinton to stay in the race is shakier than ever, one ugly reason for staying in could be found Tuesday amid the ruddy, sun-kissed Hoosiers who cheered her on to victory at the Indianapolis Speedway.

With Clinton posing alongside pioneering Indy speedster Sarah Fisher, there were almost no African-Americans to be seen. Many in the white, working-class crowd were simply not ready to back Barack Obama - for reasons that are disturbing.

"I'm kind of still up in the air between McCain and Hillary," said Jason Jenkins, 32, who cited information from a hoax e-mail as a reason to spurn Obama.

"I'll be honest with you. Barack scares the hell out of me,"he said. "He swore on the Koran."

Obama did manage to pull in many white voters, but still encountered similar sentiments from a man who refused to shake his hand at a diner in Greenwood, Ind.

"I can't stand him," the man said. "He's a Muslim. He's not even pro-American as far as I'm concerned."

Such feelings leave Clinton and the Democratic Party in a tough spot. With the largest number of remaining delegates nowbeing party insiders, they have to decide if Obama can overcome enough of that antipathy - essentially deciding if enough working-class whites will back away from the black candidate, whether because of the false Muslim rumors, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright flap or old-fashioned racism.

"I think that's right," said former Bill Clinton pollster Doug Schoen. "Obama showed that he could put together that coalition in North Carolina. In Indiana, he was less successful."

"He has to convince people that he can win over working-class whites in places like Florida, Ohio and Michigan," Schoen said.

That cold calculus, while not of Clinton's making, gives her a reason to stay in the race.

Two separate sources in the Clinton orbit insisted Tuesday night it's now more likely Hillary will pursue her quest until the August convention in Denver - unless party leaders rise up en masse and publicly tell her it's time to stop. The math, after all, remains solidly in Obama's favor.

"I can think of no reason why it would not go to the convention now," one top Hillary Democrat predicted. "Why should she get out?"

Some insiders still want to make sure no new bombshells will explode around the freshman Illinois senator.

"He could slip and stumble some more, her polls could continue to be strong, and once the party decides what to do with Florida and Michigan, his lead in the popular vote will be very narrow," an insider said.

A top Democratic source with insight into Bill's and Hillary's states of mind says the Clintons are convinced that a Democratic presidency is all but certain no matter how messy the fight for the nomination.

In that scenario - which the Obama side and some Democratic elders worry is wishful thinking at best, delusional at worst - there's no downside for Hillary doing whatever it takes for as long as it takes.

"At the end of the day," a Hillary loyalist who talks regularly to campaign headquarters sighs, "I think he still wins the nomination." But not without a bigger - and longer - fight than Obama, and many in the party, had hoped for.
"Many in the white, working-class crowd were simply not ready to back Barack Obama - for reasons that are disturbing."
Really?  Why is it not disturbing is it that black Democrats are in lockstep voting for the black candidate?  Don't the folks like the article's author think black Democrats are bright enough to be held responsible for their actions? 

seeker_two:

--- Quote from: NYDN ---Many in the white, working-class crowd were simply not ready to back Barack Obama - for reasons that are disturbing.
Yes.....Obama is a disturbing dude.....and this white, working-class guy won't back him for that reason.....

....of course, Hillary & McCain ain't calming my worries, either......

The Annoyed Man:

--- Quote --- Yes, It Is about Race
Rightwing talk radio has been emphasizing race, continuously, for months now.

roo_ster:

--- Quote from: Paddy on May 07, 2008, 02:23:58 PM ---
--- Quote --- Yes, It Is about Race
Rightwing talk radio has been emphasizing race, continuously, for months now.
Paddy:

This is not coming from right wing talk radio.  It is coming from the MSM and Dem party poo-bahs.  Read the article.

Ruch & Co. may pick up on it, but it isn't the VRWC that is worrying itself into a twitter over the unwillingness of the Dem WWC voter to get with the program.

Standing Wolf:
He's black? I thought "O'Bama" was an Irish name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version