Author Topic: It was the cops' fault!  (Read 755 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
It was the cops' fault!
« on: February 23, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »
This is just sickening -- albeit not surprising:

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20160223/komisarjevsky-defense-team-targets-cheshire-police-response-in-bid-for-new-trial

I followed a link about the Petit murders and found the above article. One of the two killers (the one who was more than likely the mastermind (because the older guy was -- shall we say -- not the brightest bulb in the string) thinks he should be given a new trial because the police didn't do enough to stop him from murdering three people.

This is just a sample of where the entitlement, nobody's responsible for anything mentality is leading us.

The state Supreme Court at some point will consider whether Komisarjevsky merits a new trial because of issues such as his defense team not seeing all of those tapes. Superior Court Judge Jon C. Blue ruled that the evidence had not been turned over to the defense team.

During Tuesday’s testimony, Todd Bussert, one of Komisarjevsky’s attorneys during his trial, said, “It was our sense that perhaps some of the tragedy might not have occurred if police had responded differently and more appropriately.”

Bussert testified he had not heard recordings of three police calls from the morning of the crime, July 23, 2007. One was of a SWAT team member being told to “stand down” and not come to the Police Department; a second was of a hostage negotiator being told not to respond; and the third was a Cheshire police officer questioning Hawke-Petit’s statement to a bank teller that her family was being held hostage. She was taken to the bank by Hayes to withdraw $15,000 and after doing so, they returned to the house.

I followed that case closely because many years ago my brother lived pretty near to where it happened. I remember some of what's being discussed.

1. The SWAT team member wasn't exactly told to "stand down." IIRC, he was off-duty, heard something on the scanner, and proactively called to ask if he should come in and suit up. There was no evident hostage situation, so they told him not to report in.

2. Same deal with the hostage negotiator. There wasn't a "hostage situation." Yes, the two guys had the woman and the two girls captive in the house, but there was no communication, no demands, no stand-off. In short, nothing for a negotiator to negotiate, and nobody to negotiate with.

3. Dunno about #3. I think if I were a patrol officer and a bank teller told me that a customer was being held hostage I'd probably be doing some questioning, too.

So this clown's basis for an appeal isn't that he's not guilty (he is, and IIRC he has admitted it). No, he's claiming that if only the police hadn't waited so long and responded so poorly, they might have prevented him and his partner from murdering the three females.

What a whining scumbag.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: It was the cops' fault!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:58:58 PM »
... I'm sorry, but when you are caught, red handed, at the scene of the crime (because your escape failed when you crashed into a police vehicle, no less) I'm not sure what the point of more court hearings than a run down of what happened and the basic pysch tests to determine competence. There just isn't any reasonable doubt involved in these kinds of thing...

I can understand the family of the deceased wanting some answers from police if the situation was mishandled, but the guy who did it? Dude needs to be put back to his box.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds