Author Topic: Prednisone  (Read 2302 times)

Hutch

• friend
Prednisone
« on: October 05, 2017, 09:29:42 AM »
Damnit.  I've been prescribed 40mg a day for a month to combat an as-yet undiagnosed um... intestinal condition.  I've been dieting, and down about 50lbs this year.  My daughter, who has Crohn's disease, has often been on high doses, and informs me that I will have a major setback in my weight-loss pursuit, and that my mild insomnia will not remain mild.

Oh, and that my naturally sunny disposition may sour.  A bit.

Any condolences or suggestions are welcome.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Prednisone
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »
Damnit.  I've been prescribed 40mg a day for a month to combat an as-yet undiagnosed um... intestinal condition.  I've been dieting, and down about 50lbs this year.  My daughter, who has Crohn's disease, has often been on high doses, and informs me that I will have a major setback in my weight-loss pursuit, and that my mild insomnia will not remain mild.

Oh, and that my naturally sunny disposition may sour.  A bit.

Any condolences or suggestions are welcome.

was on it briefly 3 years ago.  Yuk.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 10:46:27 AM »
I was on it for about a year, pre-chemo.  It was the next to last step on the "Treatments to try before we do chemo" continuum.

What was it like ??

HULK SMASH !!!

Not sure about the weight thing.  I had been retaining lots of water because my kidneys were failing, so I was also on Lasix, and peeing like a Racehorse.

But seriously.  The slightest things would set me off.  I was Bill Bixby, "Don't make me angry.  You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."   I made R.Lee Emery in Full Metal Jacket look like Mother Teresa.  Yellling, screaming, fits of rage.  All over little things.   They tried to give to again in conjunction with the chemo.  I told the doc to "F- off, I'm not taking that again."

If they said I would have to take it again or I would die, I would go suck start a gun instead.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:18:38 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »
40mg/d for a month is a lot. Gonna be a rough ride.
Condolences to you and everybody around you.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »
I would take 50mg a day for 10 days following chemo and antibody infusions. Sleep was an issue so the doc gave me some sleepers, the overeating never manifested, and my wife was able to get rooms painted and floors stripped of old wax while I was full o' energy. I don't miss it. Nope, not at all.

bob

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »
I want to say I was on 60mg two or three times a day.    Yeah, I got lots done too....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:17 PM »
Yikes.  We've had some very good testimonials with both sleeping and energy levels, including both chrons and being placed on prednisone. 
At the risk of being accused of "hocking supplements" by the curmudgeons, I've met a lot of people over the last two years who are getting real results.
If nothing else, the information in the assessment is free, and there's a great "health report" that makes specific recommendations on managing health conditions. 
I always offer APSers my discount I'm not here to make money off the group I'd rather just see if I can help anyone. 
I messaged you my personal cell number.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
I was on it for about a year, pre-chemo.  It was the next to last step on the "Treatments to try before we do chemo" continuum.

What was it like ??

HULK SMASH !!!

Not sure about the weight thing.  I had been retaining lots of water because my kidneys were failing, so I was also on Lasix, and peeing like a Racehorse.

But seriously.  The slightest things would set me off.  I was Bill Bixby, "Don't make me angry.  You would like me when I'm angry."   I made R.Lee Emery in Full Metal Jacket look like Mother Teresa.  Yellling, screaming, fits of rage.  All over little things.   They tried to give to again in conjunction with the chemo.  I told the doc to "F- off, I'm not taking that again."

Ah, yes.  Perfect for a internet forum admin.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
My mother suffered from Lupus 30 years ago and was put on prednisone.   Didn't gain a lot of weight but her face puffed up like a balloon.  Eventually she was able to get off the prednisone,  and returned to normal.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
A lot of people on chronic steroids get the moon face and also a buffalo hump at the base of their posterior neck. My wife had the hump but it eventually went away after she stopped steroids.

bob

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »
I LOVE the stuff, good thing its Rx only.

I've been on a couple of courses of prednisone for either the eczema that has cropped back up in my life in a big way the past four years, or the Meniere's that started about three years ago.  Highest dosage was a short burst of 80 mg/day for two days, then gradual taper off over two weeks when I had a bout of near pneumonia in March of last year.  The first day was GREAT,  the skin calmed the frak down in a few hours and my mood was sky high almost manic in nature.  No issues with sleep while on it, but I did note a strong impact on the appetite.  Nothing could not be controlled with force of will and having nutrient/fiber dense munchies on hand.

I only request it when the eczema gets REALLY bad since I'm aware of the increased chances of cataracts, of which I have early stages of such in the left eye.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »

HULK SMASH lippy forum member !!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 01:49:44 AM »
Oh yeah.  Prednisone sucks..   It's great in that it works really well.  But man.   I was an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGRY man when I was on it...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 04:01:26 AM »
A couple of weeks ago the Doc gave me a script for a methylprednisolone 7 day dose pac. The arthritis in my hip is getting to be a real pain in the butt, literally. MRI scheduled for next week.
Felt great, really really great, for about 4 days. No real let down but just not as great afterwards.
Didn't get irritable or experience any additional insomnia, already got plenty thankyouverymuch.
I'm thinking it's something I may not want to be around.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 02:53:17 PM »
Years ago I remember Jerry Lewis walked out on stage and he was HUGE. He joked and laughs about it and said "My doc said I could either take lots of prednisone and blow up like a balloon or I could be thin in my coffin."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »
I have been on short term doses for multiple back injuries and suffer immediately from the side effects. Instant bloat and weight gain, terrible acne flare ups on my face and body (though to be fair I've suffered acne from infancy to adulthood), other various skin conditions, eye discomfort, and some type of thrush or ulcers also formed in my mouth. No mood swings or temperamental issues that I recall. My sleeping patterns were already so poor that I have no idea whether or not prednisone affected them. If I was forced to take a prolonged dose it would probably be the end of me. A coworker of mine has been on a steady dose to manage lupus and in the time I've known her she's probably doubled in size, but that may also be for a variety or reasons. Speaking personally, I would seek other treatment if other options were provided to me. My body just doesn't get along well with steroids.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
Doc just gave me Prednisone, 40mg a day for 5 days, to get over a cough I've had for 6 weeks.  (The cold lasted for 3 days, then the cough started.)  I took the first dose this morning.  I *hope* that's a short enough course I won't have the usual side effects.
"It's good, though..."

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »
13 pounds added since starting Thursday.  Damn.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »
13 pounds added since starting Thursday.  Damn.

Water.  Unless you managed to eat 9k calories MORE than you burned each day since then (total of roughly 11k calories a day since Thursday).

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 05:44:58 PM »
I haven't gained any weight (remarkable, since there was a church potluck yesterday, with ham) but I've had insomnia both nights.  And I never have insomnia. :(  Glad it's just for a few days.
"It's good, though..."