Author Topic: Kaspersky Antivirus May Have Been Used for Hacking  (Read 938 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Kaspersky Antivirus May Have Been Used for Hacking
« on: October 07, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »
I'm really interested on Rev's take on this. I use Kaspersky because it has always had very strong protection without being either annoying or a resource hog.

It appears there is still speculation at this point, but if the speculation turns out to be accurate, it's a bit concerning.  If true, I may end up switching to paid versions of Avast/AVG (I guess they are one in the same now).

https://amp.businessinsider.com/russian-hackers-nsa-kaspersky-lab-software-2017-10
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Kaspersky Antivirus May Have Been Used for Hacking
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »
Ben, try Eset.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »
My son just posted this on his Book of Faces:  Computer virus hits US Predator and Reaper drone fleet.

(Minor Kaspersky tie-in.)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:44:52 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:05:38 PM »
My son just posted this on his Book of Faces:  Computer virus hits US Predator and Reaper drone fleet.

Why the hell do drone "pilots" wear flight suits?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
Why the hell do drone "pilots" wear flight suits?

For picking up women in the O-Club....Duh....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »
*shrug*

So far, no one has offered any evidence of anything. Pretty much on par with "Russians hax0red the elections" meaning they bought some ads and had paid trolls sling excrement. My best guess is Kaspersky didn't play ball on US state malware. This fits history. Stuxnet, Duqu, Flame, Gauss, Regin and the Equation Group. Other AV companies tried to softball it to the extent possible. Kaspersky didn't. Back in 2015, they found nation-state level malware on their internal network.

My personal take, and it is strictly opinion worth exactly what you paid for it, NSA is tired of spending a lot of time and effort on writing malware to have it added to updates and treated like any other virus. Direct pressure didn't work. Trying to hit Kaspersky's pocketbook might.

If Eugene Kaspersky leaves the company or dies, yeah, I'd stop using their software. Sadly, there's not many other top tier antiviruses out there. F-Secure is the only other one. It's less user friendly than even Kaspersky is. The rest are mid tier (Sophos, Symantec, Trend Micro) or bottom tier garage (ESET, AVG, etc).

Problem is, if you take out the top tier protection and leave the world's infrastructure protection in the hands of the mediocre, it's a real world thousand times worse off than even the random successful terrorism or rogue nation. NSA doesn't think like that. Better to burn dozens of bridges than get blamed for the next... whatever.

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/kaspersky-finds-new-nation-state-attack-network/

If Kaspersky was a hostile entity, why give exploit information to Microsoft who will release a patch and close that loophole out for the entire world? Why not share them strictly with the FSB or other Russian agencies? Why openly PUBLISH attack vectors instead of profiting off it? If they're an arm of the Russian cyberwarfare complex, they're doing a remarkably bad job at it by notifying vendors of exploits and publishing methods used by nationstate level malware.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:09:39 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »
For picking up women in the O-Club....Duh....

Spewed ice water on that one, no kidding.  I was thinking just that thing.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark