Author Topic: Govt Shut-Down vs. Screenwriters' Strike  (Read 4618 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Govt Shut-Down vs. Screenwriters' Strike
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:21:57 PM »
Has anyone noticed that the screenwriters' strike has affected more peoples' lives more deeply than any of the recent government "shut-downs"? 

laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Re: Govt Shut-Down vs. Screenwriters' Strike
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
If I had not read stories online about how the media goes hysterical over .gov strikes and is the only reason people notice them, I myself would have never known government employees ever went on strikes.

Then again it is only dumb luck that I heard about screen writers strikes a few days ago.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 04:29:40 PM »
Very true . . . years ago when I lived there, most government workers in MN went on strike. Aside from some students who had to stand in line longer than usual at U of MN to register, virtually nobody would have even been AWARE of the strike if they didn't hear the nightly news reports.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:35:08 PM »
TV/Holywood runs our lives......
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:38:56 PM »
The government shut down recently?  Cool!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:41:49 PM »
TV/Holywood runs our lives......

That has GOT to be a typo.   grin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 04:55:27 PM »
I guess I'd have to start watching Television to learn that the writers and/or the .gov were on strike.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:02:54 PM »
I guess I'd have to start watching Television to learn that the writers and/or the .gov were on strike.

Or turn on the radio.  I keep hearing about it on the hourly "news" segment.  It seems every day, we learn of some terrible new consequence of the writers' strike.   

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:05:03 PM »
The writers strike won't affect me. The .gov might.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 06:02:57 PM »
A plague on both their houses.

recent government "shut-downs"?

What recent gov't shutdowns?  Somehow they never get around to doing what they threaten to do.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 06:35:24 PM »
With the screenwriters strike continuing I wonder
how long until the network news starts showing reruns. laugh

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 07:23:16 PM »
What recent gov't shutdowns?  Somehow they never get around to doing what they threaten to do.

Michigan recently shut down... for like 4 hours.  12:00am to 4:30am I think.

I was hoping for longer.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 01:45:55 AM »

None in particular. 

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 02:52:59 AM »

It would be.  Only I fear that our boys trapped in Iraq would be left to die.  I know the administration would not mind leaving there to save a few bucks.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 11:06:26 PM »

It would be.  Only I fear that our boys trapped in Iraq would be left to die.  I know the administration would not mind leaving there to save a few bucks.

"Our boys" are not without equipment, logistics, planning or a brain.  Theoretically, even if the government went broke this very second, I'd lay down serious cash saying every US soldier could be back stateside within 4 days with at least 80% of their currently working equipment.  Contrary to the rumor/hysteria mill, no soldier in hostile fire zones will starve, run out of bullets, or be critically short of any required equipment regardless of political posturing.  See, soldiers tend to be armed.  Folks don't go out of their way to betray a large number of their own people that are heavily armed.  If said soldiers were left to die, they'd return in short order and probably lynch those responsible.  The Powers That Be know this very well.  Ergo, a non-issue. 

With the provision that such bullets or equipment exist anywhere, of course.  For example, we are more than 40k short on tactical radios.  Most of them are only manufactured by one vendor, and do not exist anywhere else with significant numbers.  One cannot wave a magic wand and instantly produce specialized equipment.  Obviously, it's impossible to ship something that doesn't exist.  Militrary procurement and manufacturing shortages is a discussion for another day, I suppose.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 01:13:31 AM »
Folks don't go out of their way to betray a large number of their own people that are heavily armed. 

Oh I can think of some kinds of folks...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Caimlas

• BoiledFrog.US Forums
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 08:01:11 AM »
Well, here's the thing about it, at least from my perspective.

First, the government: when they strike, I cheer. I only wish they wouldn't get paid for said strike period. Overall, it impacts me very little, directly or indirectly, mainly because the duration of governmental strike isn't long enough to make much of a difference. What, they're not going to be in session for a couple weeks to make new laws? Oh, the IRS isn't going to be auditing for a while? Oh, boo! So disappointing. Tongue </mock sarcasm>

Second, screenwriters: Hollywood is the biggest industry in the biggest state economy in the US. Furthermore, they're something like the 17th biggest economy in the world, and they produce one of the only things which we export anymore - culture and media. So this impacts us fairly substantially in terms of the trade deficit (at least with Europe) - at least I'd think so. Finally, there are more than enough 'discarded' scripts to last them years, in both movies and TV. They'll just go back and use the crappy scripts until the screenwriters stop their complaining, so anything on TV or in movies is going to be crap, with little chance of something "really good". (Thank God for reruns.)

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 04:56:37 AM »
They'll just go back and use the crappy scripts until the screenwriters stop their complaining, so anything on TV or in movies is going to be crap, with little chance of something "really good".

The last time I was watching something "really good" I think it was when Star Trek: The Next Generation was having new episodes.  Most things on TV today is crap and aside from National Treasure 2 and I Am Legend, I haven't gone to the movies in about a year.  I think they have been using their "discarded" scripts for a while.  :-p

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 05:03:16 AM »
TV is better today than it's ever been. Even dumb-as-rocks procedurals (CSI, L&O) are better written than the shows of 30 years ago.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 05:15:12 AM »
Well, my critique of 30 years ago amounted to which war movie had more explosions and less mushy stuff so I am not the best judge of that.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 06:14:37 AM »
TV is better today than it's ever been. Even dumb-as-rocks procedurals (CSI, L&O) are better written than the shows of 30 years ago.

I think Hogan's Heroes beats out the crap they have on TV today.  There's a reason I don't have cable.  grin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 06:28:52 AM »

I do not agree. Some shows, yes.

But pick up the first season DVDs of Miami Vice. Then look at the drivel on TV today.